PDA

View Full Version : Hood scoop

89accordmeister
05-11-2002, 08:04 PM
I would like to put a hood scoop on my 89 acord 2 door.....what can u guys recommend?
I was thinkin something on the smaller side.......any ideas?

dXsquared
05-12-2002, 11:11 AM
coops are for muscle cars. it you want forced induction put a pipe out the bottom of ur car. dont buy a scoop, u will end up with unsellable shit!!!!
Travis

HostileJava
05-12-2002, 04:01 PM
I like scoops, a smaller one would probalbly look better, are you talking about putting one on for cosmetics or actually using one? I was thinking about putting on one for cosmetics and putting strip of Blue scanning LED's inside the scoop.

CoAsTeR
05-12-2002, 04:26 PM
Hostile, I though that Knightrider was a Camaro.. night an accord ;) hehehehhe

:stick:

HostileJava
05-12-2002, 04:34 PM
:cool: yeah, it was but i've always wanted to do that to a car and since i've already added so many lights to my car, what are a few more? Right?

BTW here are some of the hood scoops you can get from jcwhitney.com (http://www.jcwhitney.com) :

http://www.jcwhitney.com/images/imagecache/I13072.gif

Those are only for cosmetic use, though you can also get real ones.

A20A1
05-12-2002, 06:02 PM
E, F, & H are HOOD COWLS
A, B, C, D, & G are HOOD SCOOPS

HostileJava
05-12-2002, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by A20A1
E, F, & H are HOOD COWLS
A, B, C, D, & G are HOOD SCOOPS

I suppose this is the man you should be talking to.

wc-623
05-12-2002, 08:24 PM
he didnt ask for a fucking stupid opinion 88humpmyback he asked for some help you fucking hostile homo!:flipa:

wc-623
05-12-2002, 08:25 PM
my bad dxhumpmyback

89accordmeister
05-13-2002, 06:27 AM
Hey dxhatchback......:wtf: ???????
I was just askin for input not that bs you are spittin you piece of crap.
Thats y i am thinkin about not comin into this forum anymore....its complete assholes like you:flipa: :flipa: :flipa:

Anyway......iwas thinking of having a functional induction scoop.....i have a dx.....so i was gonna try the system from a v6 camaro...like 87........with the 2 filters in thefront.....anyone know what i am talking about?
I could make that system work bye putting slots in the front of my hood...right where it rises in the front......sound good?
has anyone done this before..?

and one more time for the record.......DXHATCHBACK!!!!
here is what that post of yours reminds me of:barf: ......u are a little piece of shit punk who has too much time and too little intelligence:flipa: :flipa: :flipa:
the only reason i am talkin shit is because i am too far from you to kick your stupid ass:flip:

89accordmeister
05-13-2002, 06:32 AM
1. Knight rider is very cool
2. dxhatchback :flipa:
3.same as above except:flipa: :flip: :flipa: :flip: :flipa: :flip:
4. nice name travis lol......say something constructive next time and you wont get yelled at by all the regular members here......asshole

89accordmeister
05-13-2002, 06:34 AM
ok thats done......anymore "real" ideas??
:flipa: :flipa: :flipa: :flipa: :flipa: travis
ok..i am really done now....lmao

killerb09
05-15-2002, 04:26 AM
you have FI?
make a ram air set up...thats what I'm planning...got a little scoupe like 8" by about 12" and about 2" high

place it right over your are where your intake sits....cut hole in hood adn voil a nice small ram air set up that everyone will goo wow thats cool wehn then look at it

89accordmeister
05-15-2002, 05:40 PM
I have a dx model....no fi for me:sadwave:

killerb09
05-16-2002, 03:56 AM
fuck yeah even better RAM air set up...ever see the WRX? hood scoupe...
need a bit bigger coupe for this but heres what I'm planning...

cut a hole in the hood the same as your intake cover...

get a nice sleek hood scoupe that rolls withthe style of the car adn has about a 3" or less rise in it.....
put it over the hole you cut and mould it unto the car...

build up the intake box adn add soem weather stri[pping around the edge adn make it rest on the hood when complete to seal the air from escaping teh ram set up.....

make sure you find some way to close it off in the rain or you'll get water in the carb..not much fun...

I'm going to try this with my small scoupe adn if it works well then add some really custom look like the "negative" scoupe on the newer WRX's adn stuff.....

should be really neato looking...

89accordmeister
05-16-2002, 06:17 AM
what about an air filter?
i dont see where u could mount one for those

killerb09
05-16-2002, 06:51 AM
GEEZ THAT THE EASIEST PART...A K&N panel filter for some other car...easy

heck even start out with a stock one from say a crx or somethign and then move up to the kand n one later

it would work

all it would really have to do is cover the inlet for the acrb in the center of the housing and voila

89accordmeister
05-17-2002, 06:21 PM
I am gonna go to the yeard tomorrow and look for ideas and scoops.........any other ideas???
let me know man

guaynabo89
05-17-2002, 07:08 PM
Try the legacy, outback, impreza scoupes. They have a low profile plus they're fuctional

89accordmeister
05-18-2002, 05:32 AM
Subaru scoops are nice,but its hard finding a wrecked one that they will let you cut and mess with.....thats the only problem

hondamanlxi
05-18-2002, 03:32 PM
HEY DIPSHITS!, KNIGHTRIDER WAS A FIREBIRD OR T/A!
lol, yall need to watch more reruns

and about the scoop, what about rain and stuff? wont it flood the engine? how do your get around that?

Lt99
05-18-2002, 06:09 PM
Well i finally found a wrecked turbo 300 and plan to use this scoop in my 88lx and im trying to find a way to make it a working scoop to draw free cool air to my carb and not get any water in when it rains .... I plan to mount it in 2-3 weeks ..... and even if it isnt a working scoop it should lower the under hood temps ... i plan to mount on the right side

Lt99
05-18-2002, 06:28 PM
to keep it from flooding engine i was thinking or getting an air box out of another car and just use the half of it and put a filter in it to catch any water in it ..... or to have a kinda y shaped intake
scoop >----------------> carb
\
\
underneath car

I also know that if i put a couple of bends in the intake hose it will trap the water ....

HostileJava
05-19-2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by hondamanlxi
HEY DIPSHITS!, KNIGHTRIDER WAS A FIREBIRD OR T/A!
lol, yall need to watch more reruns

and about the scoop, what about rain and stuff? wont it flood the engine? how do your get around that?

Aren't Firebirds and Camaro's basically the same car?

Lockleaf
05-22-2002, 02:11 PM
Hey, Darkhonda89 from the old board used a toyota 4-runner hood scoop on his and it kicks ass. Here's a pic of it. It's hard to find but at least it'll give you an idea of what you're looking at in final appearence.

Darkhonda's Ride (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47298)

Lockleaf
05-22-2002, 02:12 PM
HA, it took me a little while but I showed those bastards over at automotiveforums.com. I just made a new thread there and posted the pics on it and then linked to the thread. HAHA. Bastards. I'll use their server space to benefit me and 3GEEZ. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. huhumm I feel better now, thanks.
Later. Lockleaf

guaynabo89
05-22-2002, 04:50 PM
Why don't you try a center mount right over the carb.

I think it would look and work better there.

Mike's89AccordLX
09-26-2002, 08:59 AM
Ok, I was thinking of how to get more air into the carb. Put a hood scoop on the car and mount a very small fan (like the ones on the radiator) on the underside of the hood (so it's right below the hood scoop) What would that be considered? Would that bring in more forced inducted air? I would have to put a switch on the inside of the car to turn it on and off. What style hood scoop would you recommend facing front of car or facing windshield? And what do you recommend about water factors? I don't think I would want the fan right above the carb because of water. Unless I kept the air box on. What do you guys think? I just want easy ways to increase power.:rice:

Site
09-26-2002, 09:03 AM
If you're going to put in a hood scoop, do what A20A1 did and make it ram air! Check out the thread on this here:
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3925

It is probably the most entry level forced induction project you could take on - and it is VERY cool!

I just noticed that the pics in that thread are gone, but you can see them on his website.

Mike's89AccordLX
09-26-2002, 09:08 AM
Ok, I just had another idea. You know that black air box, well I have all of the plastic tubes removed so it's just the metal air box with the squared metal pipe coming off of the box. Well what if I hooked up a little fan to the end of the squared metal pipe and made a switch to turn that on and off: keep in mind I would still have my K&N filter still in the air box so nothing flies into the carb. But do you think that would increase my power?

87accordlx
09-26-2002, 10:08 AM
nah i don't think your gonna notice any power improvements with a little fan at the end of the intake, it won't boost the air pressure inside the box, i say go with a hood scoop like A20A1, i've also been thinking of running a piece of piping from the air box down to the fog light cover and have it suck up cold air from outside the car, just keep a K&n in the stock air box

shepherd79
09-26-2002, 11:30 AM
to make a notticeble increase in power you will have to move a lot of air.
so like this thing does, http://www.electricsupercharger.com/
one has it so don't ask if this thing works. i may get it one day but it is way way in the future.

Mike's89AccordLX
09-26-2002, 02:22 PM
That would be ideal but they don't make them for my car, and I don't know if I want to spend $299 for a maybe 3-4 hp gain.

pimp86LX
09-26-2002, 02:47 PM
i take it you have a little fan, and u just want to do something with it :D

shepherd79
09-26-2002, 02:59 PM
well, you could build custom intake for the carb like Mike(a20A1) and some other people made. I am sure you can use it than.
You probably right but think, if you floor it at 2000 rpm you will get a lot more air comming in. the problem is carb supply enough fuel, that is another challenge. that is why EFI cars are so easy to Turbo or supercharge.
I have seen the 6 cylinder turbocharged, and it didn't have the box around the carb.
as long as you have pump that produces more fuel PSI you should be able to do it.
but if you just putt fan on the end of the intake, it will just bring colder air faster. i don't think you will gain anything with it. May be .5-1hp.

Mike's89AccordLX
09-26-2002, 05:09 PM
No, I don't have a little fan. But I do have a little midget that likes to blow. So I figured she could fit in the engine compartment and do what she does best. j/k I don't a midget but I do have a small fan but it's not very powerful. I might try to make a supercharger of my own when I get my Weber 32/36.

1989 DX R
09-26-2002, 05:48 PM
Most fans flow about 25-40 cfm. Our carbs flow about 150 if I'm not mistaken. It would be worthless.

shepherd79
09-26-2002, 05:48 PM
that would be something interesting to see.

Mike's89AccordLX
09-26-2002, 07:46 PM
Well that 25-40cfm would be extra air already being sucked in,

A20A1
09-26-2002, 07:56 PM
180 cfm Keihin

1989 DX R
09-26-2002, 08:11 PM
No, the way it would be positioned, the velocity of the air coming is would be greater than the air moved by the fan. You would decrease your intake flow by positioning such a device in your intake system.

tyne89
09-26-2002, 10:59 PM
drop a compressed air tank into the trunk. adds a little weight but just run air line up to the airbox and figure out some way to temporarily seal the airboxabove the carb or something so that all the compressed air is force into the carb.

A20A1
09-26-2002, 11:17 PM
wont work, @ around 9psi it raises rpm by 500 and thats only at idle.
If you can get the pressure to come out at 15-30psi then maybe it would boost it a little, but then no extra fuel will be added.

Now something like propane would work... it's just not as safe.

shepherd79
09-27-2002, 04:37 AM
yeah propane, i remember messing round it.
the problem is that if it is mixture too rich it will harm the rmp and power band, if it is too lean than you should see some improvements.

Mike's89AccordLX
09-27-2002, 08:19 AM
Well guys I found a fan small enough to fit in the stock air box pipe. Well I was messing around and I blew the little motor already. But I'm not giving up on try to supercharge my car. I don't quit easily. Any more inexpensive ideas would be really helpful. Thanks Guys :bow:

Grant2k
09-27-2002, 10:03 AM
this is what i did to just get a little bit more air into my car. call me crazy but i could feel a small difference in acceleraction. way more effective than a fart pipe, and a lot cheaper.

http://www.boomspeed.com/grant2k/Jam007.jpg

http://www.boomspeed.com/grant2k/Jam006.jpg

Mike's89AccordLX
09-27-2002, 10:13 AM
Dude what kind of filter is that? And what adapter did you use for that bend? How much was that filter and where do you get it? Oh and another question do you still have your filter in your air box? If you don't did you know that, that is bad for the carb because of the warm air pipe won't go through the cone filter, it will go straight to the carb unfiltered. But if you do have the filter in the airbox, then your ok.

A20A1
09-27-2002, 01:19 PM
Thats not good if you ran 2 filters... you'd double the air restriction.

Must I make my intakes ahead of schedual :D sigh...

Mike's89AccordLX
09-27-2002, 03:13 PM
Well A20A1 I'm sure I would be your first customer. You know what your doing and what your talking about. I only do stuff to my car if you ok it first. :bow:

Grant2k
09-28-2002, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Mike's89AccordLX
Dude what kind of filter is that? And what adapter did you use for that bend? How much was that filter and where do you get it? Oh and another question do you still have your filter in your air box? If you don't did you know that, that is bad for the carb because of the warm air pipe won't go through the cone filter, it will go straight to the carb unfiltered. But if you do have the filter in the airbox, then your ok.

no, i am not doubling my restriction with 2 filters, the box is empty. i never thought about the warm air hose, but to get into the engine doesn't that have to go through the initial filter anyway? and A20A1, if you did start making those, i would definitly buy one. when i had money, which right now college like to take away from me.

Grant2k
09-28-2002, 04:11 PM
oh yeah, and the filter was just a $40 (rip off) Tenzo-R cotton filter that i got from work. you should be able to get a similar filter at any overpriced speed shop. be sure it has a 3" opening at the end.