PDA

View Full Version : 5th Gen Headlight Conversion

Twisted 87lxi
10-24-2002, 01:29 PM
My new project is to get my Z3 Fender vents installed, get my Fender extensions installed, and my friends uncle is hooking me up w/ turning my Xenon kit into a Street Fighter Kit for next to nothing. Then i'm going to go to my other friend's shop and get my car painted, but before I do, I wanted to get a headlight conversion. I was considering Silvia lights (Too Narrow), Skyline lights (Too Pricey), and an assortment of other lights. Anyway, to get to the point, i was checking out accordracing.com yesterday and I noticed the general shape of the 5th gen (94-97) Headlights. The inner side of the lights are slightly angled (looks to be the right angle to fit next to our grills) and when i compared a pic of the 5th gen to an equally sized pic of my car the light length seemed to be about right. I still need to get the right measurements to be sure, but I figured i'd just point this out because in my opinion these lights are better looking and easier to install than the 4th gen lights. Go check em out and compare them to a similar pic of a 3rd gen: Click here (http://www.accordracing.com/pics/5th_gen/Gracer/pic.asp?picc=10)

The best part is that if they DO fit, you can get a pair of Projector Clear/Chrome Angel Halo Lights for about a bill on ebay.

toastyghost
10-24-2002, 04:30 PM
I want to see someone do a conversion from the newer Celicas. Or any newer Toyota/Lexus with those triangle lights... those things look bad ass and I think the angular feel to them would mesh well with the 3g's body lines. The baby blue pearl hatch guy (I forget who it is) did a similar looking conversion but I think it was from a teg maybe? Anyway his car looks fucking DOPE with triangular lights...

Bobs89LXi
10-24-2002, 05:04 PM
One question: Why? If you don't like the flip-ups, why did you buy a 3G Accord? For the cost of a conversion, you can put a decent down payment on a real 5G Accord. :rolleyes:

Site
10-24-2002, 05:56 PM
I think people who do the hybrid appearance conversions are going for uniqueness. with 3600+ posts, Bob, surely you've seen people here drop mad $ to make their cars unique for the sake of originality :D

It's probably not so much a question of liking the flip-ups, but rather it's knowing that every 3G around has flip-ups. A person driven to originality can't be satisfied with having status quo.

Twisted 87lxi
10-24-2002, 11:08 PM
Bob, for about $150 at most i can get the lights, then my friends uncle own a body shop and he gave me a price of another $100 for the complete conversion, fit to my hood and fenders exactly (its good to know ppl :D ). So i'd rather pay the $250 for the setup, lets say $300 at most to make my car look a little more unique then have to up my insurance and pay an ongoing payment plan just to own a stock 5th gen. Ya know?

87accordlx
10-25-2002, 06:56 AM
man i consider the flip ups unique, sure they are stock but about 90%+ of the cars out there are stationary lights. and i love pulling up to a red light and tapping the button on the dash so the lights go up and down quickly, it makes the people crossing the street turn their heads. but hey if you want to do a conversion all the more to ya. prehaps you should try photoshopping the 5th gen lights onto a european spec 3g without flipups.

Grant2k
10-25-2002, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Bobs89LXi
One question: Why? If you don't like the flip-ups, why did you buy a 3G Accord?

there is more to the car than just the headlights.

86accord4dr
10-25-2002, 02:30 PM
Yeah i'm with twisted. i'm not going to shell out that kind of dough for a 5th gen. i hate those things man. the 3G is boxy and yet sexy as hell. the 4ths arent' too bad but the new ones are so stupid. they start to look like 'ludes. (unless you're into that shit)

Bobs89LXi
10-25-2002, 03:16 PM
Scott was the only person who came close to answering my question.

Site: Yes, I have 3600+ posts. Most people who are opting for these Frankenstein mods are stating the fact that they hate the flip-up headlights as their reason.

Grant2k: The flip-up headlights are what makes the 3G Accord unique. In my opinion, that is what makes the 3G Accord, as well as the 2/3G Ludes, and the 1G Teg.

Twisted: What are you going to get for $300? Will it be done by a professional? The price I stated above is for a professional job, at a reputable body shop, not throwing together spare parts and bondo in someone's backyard. If you can get a professional looking job at that price, more power to you. Although I am not from Missouri, please show me. :D

A20A1
10-25-2002, 09:42 PM
I'm still not allowed to show you the pic of the 5g headlight conversion. The cost however I may be able to disclose after I talk to the guy... remember though, he did all the work himself.

It's a sweet up to date look and well worth it... I do prefer the flip-ups though.

Twisted 87lxi
10-27-2002, 12:51 PM
Yeah Bob, $300, my best friends dad owns a PROFESSIONAL body shop, and is willing to give me one hell of a deal cause hes been a friend of my families for many years. SO if you think i'm full of it, just wait til i get it done. And to answer your question, i'm not getting the conversion done because I hate the flip ups, in fact i love the uniqueness of the flip ups. However I'm more in the field of customizabliity, if something can be done that increases the uniqueness of a car, then im all for it. Plus the fact that I'm aiming for a show car that I will eventually be able to show off at HIN and ImportRevolution, etc..

Bobs89LXi
10-27-2002, 04:49 PM
I did not imply that you were full of it. I was just stating a fact that it takes more the $300 to have a professional job done. Now if you have hookups and can accomplish the job with that amount, more power to you. I would love to see it once it is finished. I will also be the first person here to admit I was wrong. :D

Neuspeed007
10-27-2002, 10:28 PM
lights are lights..

Grant2k
10-28-2002, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by Neuspeed007
lights are lights..

as much as i don't think the lights make the car, i don't agree with that. if you are going for a show car then you do want something different. but i was looking at if from a performance standpoint where the lights don't make the car. unless you are talking about aerodynamics where it might have an effect, but with the performance of our cars, for the most part, i don't think the lights are going to effect anything.

but twisted said he's going for a show car, so the wilder the lights the better.

sanjay
10-31-2002, 02:05 AM
so much forumage...