PDA

View Full Version : Issues with gauges and turn signals/reverse lights

ventureforth
01-19-2013, 08:08 PM
Did some searching on the forums and found a few threads with similar issues, but no resolutions for me, so I thought I'd post with my specific details.

First off, 1986 Accord LX-i.

Driving home the other night, all of a sudden I heard a pop and I lost my tach,fuel,temp gauges and my turn signals and reverse lights.

The next morning I saw that the 10amp #2 fuse was blown. Replaced it. No help. It's sometimes okay with the key in the on position, and even with the car running. But the moment I step on the gas and the revs go up, it blows again.

Checked for bulbs being out and discovered the passenger side turn signal (the one on the side of the car) was out. Replaced the bulbs. No help.

Replaced the reverse light bulbs. No help.

Replaced the turn signal flasher. No help.

Checked all the fuses and under hood and under dash and all seem to be good...aside from the 10amp #2 fuse, of course.

Now, sometimes even just turning the key to the on position will blow the #2 fuse. Sometimes, I can turn it to on, but the moment I turn the engine over, it blows. Sometimes, I can turn the engine over and let it idle and it's okay. Sometimes, I can leave the car in neutral and rev the engine, and it's okay. Either way, no matter how far I've gotten without blowing the #2 fuse, by the time I've driven a few feet it is blown and the gauges go out again...if they hadn't already gone out the moment I turn the key to on.

On those occasions where I could get the key to on and not blow the fuse, I did a function check on all of the lights. All turn signals work. The reverse lights work. The brake lights work. Everything seems to function fine. I thought it might have been a bad bulb causing a short, but they all seem to be working and some are even brand new.

One thing to note is that I recently had a new alternator put in. But that was a couple months ago and I have had no problems up until a couple nights ago.

Oh, and when the fuse is blown, only the battery light comes on when I turn the key on. When the fuse is not blown, assuming turning the key on doesn't blow it, all the normal dash indicator lights come on.

So...any thoughts? Let me know if you need any further details.

Thanks.

Dr_Snooz
01-20-2013, 10:22 PM
The only time I've ever seen anything like this is when you have less load on the circuit than it was designed for. For instance, if you have a short to ground from frayed or broken wires. I had it when I had one too few bulbs in a circuit after fooling around with the wiring. If you've been messing with wiring, double check your work. Otherwise, check the condition of your wires on the #2 circuit.

ecogabriel
01-21-2013, 05:38 AM
It sounds like a frayed wire touching ground somewhere. You would need the electrical diagram so you know where to hunt the short.

Legend_master
01-21-2013, 11:23 AM
Agreed it really sounds like you have a shorted wire somewhere. From the conditions it sounds like it may be in the dash somewhere.

Dr_Snooz
01-22-2013, 03:36 PM
when you have less "load"

I guess "resistance" is a better word here, but I think you got the idea.