PDA

View Full Version : Timing belt tension/valve clearances

Dutchboy
10-24-2002, 05:13 PM
Im wondering how tight the timing belt should actually feel after you do the 3notches tightening thing?

i was playing with the valves and noticed the belt felt sortof loose...more play than should be i guess to i redid the adjustment to tighten it up....

Im not sure if i got a bit of oil or something on the alternator belt or if i tightened the timing belt to much...but theres a sound i cant discribe other than its like getting static in your speakers that gets louder wwith the speed....like a shhshshshssssssssss :huh:

i just dont want to screw my belt yet....ill replace it after winter.

and when doing the valve clearances...what do you guys put it at and How much drag should you actually feel when adjusting the clearance??? a little ...moderate or??

I set them at .006 intake and .010 for exhuast....but im not sure if its accurate since the drag thing is confusing What is slight drag?

Thanks .....i just dont feel like removing everything again for the 3rd time in 2 days......my valve cover is taking a beating......

BEn

DanG86LX
10-24-2002, 06:39 PM
Too tight a belt sounds whirring when u drive. Not much at idle though. I had that once. Not good for the belt guess.

Dutchboy
10-24-2002, 06:52 PM
oh.....shiot....i think im going to have to do it again....
I dont feel like ruining he belt by that...

i think that ill do it right next time....its a pain to have to take all that other stuff to just get at the top belt cover to be able to see the marks..
a real pain in the assss

any suggestions on the valves or timing still let me know....im going to fix it in the morning ..

BEn

DanG86LX
10-24-2002, 07:10 PM
Uh, forgot about lash. If u can pull the feeler ur ok. Next one higher shouldn't fit. Next one lower should slide freely.

anchovies
10-24-2002, 08:30 PM
I don't have it, but a "go, no go" type feeler gauge is easier

Dutchboy
10-26-2002, 04:42 PM
so i got it all better now...
my timing is always moving aroud though so i still think that my distributor is screwed....but i have more even power and its not ticking as much...

I found out that the top timing belt cover can be taken off and on without removing the valve cover so if anyone thinks that you have to remove the valve cover to do so DONT....just remove the 2 screws holding it on...then push it down and puull on one side and it should pop out and then you can bend it a bit...it does come off so just fool around a bit.

I still have a mysterious sound once and awhile...not sure if its timing or the alternator or something...but im keeping an eye on it.

Ben