PDA

View Full Version : Messed Up Electrical Problem

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
10-24-2002, 07:23 PM
Hey Guys,

In the past couple days my car has developed a frustrating electrical problem. Sometimes when I turn on the car, the radio, power antenna, and blower won't work. Sometimes I can turn the car off and then back on and they will work again. Today I got in the car and they weren't working. I started driving home anyway and after about 3 minutes they came on again. Interestingly, I have never had them go off while I was driving (only come on, if they were off).

We checked the fuse box tonight and all the fuses appear in tact. BTW, the problem also occurs sometimes when the key is turned to the ignition second position (engine not running, just accessories).

Has anyone had a problem like this? Any ideas on what this might be or how I can troubleshoot this issue?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Erika

catalin
10-25-2002, 07:15 AM
It's most likely a problem with your ignition tumbler. You could confirm by testing the wiring leading away from the ignition. The wire you should be concerned about is black/yellow, that is an ignition wire that powers you heater and other 'key on only' electrical accesories.

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
10-25-2002, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by catalin
It's most likely a problem with your ignition tumbler. You could confirm by testing the wiring leading away from the ignition. The wire you should be concerned about is black/yellow, that is an ignition wire that powers you heater and other 'key on only' electrical accesories.

But would that still be the case when the problem still happens when the car is turned on (i.e. engine running)?

Erika

catalin
10-25-2002, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX

But would that still be the case when the problem still happens when the car is turned on (i.e. engine running)?

Erika

Well the first thing that came to mind was the tumbler since it is the source of turn on for both those circuits. The deck and heater are actually two different circuits in the car... and if they both don't work chances are it's the tumbler... BUT if the black/yellow wire isn't deliver the current that the heater circuit needs and it's faulty at the tumbler then your car shouldn't run either. Since it also feeds power to your ignition coil...

I would start at the tumbler though. Get yourself a meter or test light and make sure it turns on when it's suppose to.