PDA

View Full Version : Probably swapping carb soon

87DXHatch
10-24-2002, 09:03 PM
Could somebody give me an idea of what all I am going to be doing when I swap out my old carb for a new (used) one?

I called the locallest junkyard, and it is a pick and pull, so I will be heading over there hopefully tomorrow to get a carb or two.

Is my Hayne's manual going to be enough to allow me to pull this off?

Any tips/advice/etc greatly appreciated

Neuspeed87lx
10-25-2002, 04:08 AM
just make sure you mark all those darn hoses....email me if you run into any problems [email protected]

87DXHatch
10-25-2002, 07:49 AM
That I will, if I run into problems... thanks a lot, Jay, you've been a big help in helping me with these decisions.

88' Accord Ltd
10-25-2002, 08:23 AM
Its very simple to swap a carb for a new (used) one from the junkyard. There are only 4 bolts holding it down and it pulls right off. Just when you take the ones from the junkyard cut the vacuum lines off so you can still see the numbers on the hoses. Just for a referance. The hoses will pretty much fall where they are suposed to hook up to once you take the carb out though. Since they've been like that for such a long time.

87DXHatch
10-25-2002, 08:25 AM
Sweet deal.

What fluids am I going to have to worry about? Is it going to be ok if I do this out in the middle of the street? How worried should I be about getting the throttle and TV cable's back where they are supposed to go?

Also, what tools will I need?

Thanks

87DXHatch
10-25-2002, 08:41 AM
I called the local junkyard and it is $50 for a carb if I pull it. It is kinda drizzly outside... will that be bad at all? Am I going to have to worry about mist getting in there?

Should I hose the used carb down with carb cleaner before I install it? What should I check for before it goes on? Are there any sure fire signs that would tell me if the carb is garbage or not?

Thanks!

Grant2k
10-25-2002, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by 87DXHatch
I called the local junkyard and it is $50 for a carb if I pull it. It is kinda drizzly outside... will that be bad at all? Am I going to have to worry about mist getting in there?

Should I hose the used carb down with carb cleaner before I install it? What should I check for before it goes on? Are there any sure fire signs that would tell me if the carb is garbage or not?

Thanks!

i don't know if a junkyard carb is gonna be good enough to just throw on. does your car still run? if so you should rebuild the junkyard one and then swap them. if not, put it on and hopefully it will run good, then rebuild your and put it back on.

87DXHatch
10-25-2002, 08:47 AM
hmm... that is an idea. I could learn on one that wouldn't matter if I ruined it. Also, I could still drive my car. The only downside to that is rebuilding it is going to cost me $40-$70 according to the local NAPA. That sounds like a good idea though.

bigpoppa88
10-28-2002, 11:37 AM
I took a Carb from the junkyard....using it for 2 months now, no problems (touch wood). When you take the carb off, there is a rumor that you shouldn't hold it upside down. If you check the archives for my thread when I replaced mine you'll see I turned it over a few times with no problem. When you take it off, perhaps the only problem if you tilt it will be the gas spilling out. You have a great feeling of accomplishment when your 3gee comes to life!!!!!!!!!!

87DXHatch
10-28-2002, 12:28 PM
Ok, I went over to my friend's house and his dad checked my car out. Him and my uncle, who both know a great deal about cars, both think it's the electric choke. I am going to go back sometime, and he's going to help me drill out the pop rivets that hold the choke cover on, then we're going to set it back.

I don't think I will be swapping a carb after all... but thanks for all the advice guys... I hope this helps somebody.

1989 DX R
10-28-2002, 12:56 PM
When you take it off, if you do, don't flip it over....just dont. Period.

87DXHatch
10-28-2002, 01:03 PM
I know I know I know... I've been around here for quite a while. "The bowl just won't hold fuel anymore" that sound about right? :D

88' Accord Ltd
10-28-2002, 01:24 PM
Well how come BigPoppa88 said he flipped his over a few times, it fell sideways and everything and his car runs just fine? I don't think that the carb won't work after its flipped but then again I would try to avoid flipping it just in case lol.