PDA

View Full Version : How To Replace Hood Release Cable??

stuntjunkie199
01-24-2013, 03:52 PM
I believe my hood release cable is broken and/or stretched beyond use. For the past few months when I would pull the lever in the car it would release the hood but it did not "pop". It just remained down and I would have to pick t up myself. The lever feels as if it has no tension on it and it was getting worse. Today I went to the actual latch and where the cable feeds into I pulled on it and there was quite a bit of slack. Put the hood back down and now the release won't even pop the latch. Gonna replace the cable I guess. Can Anyone give me detailed description of how to go about it? Also how to get my hood up now that the lever won't? Thanks in advance

2oodoor
01-24-2013, 04:11 PM
Mine's doing the same thing, highly aggrivating. I will be fixing it soon and will post what it toOk

Legend_master
01-24-2013, 06:12 PM
Simple "fix" unbolt the lever and bend the mounting bracket to allow for a little more movement. I used that method for years on my other hatch. That cable can also be pulled with a set of needle nose.

Dr_Snooz
01-25-2013, 10:29 PM
I would start by checking the movement of the latch. It could be gummed up with crap or badly needing grease.

Jafir
04-28-2013, 11:42 AM
I replaced the cable on one of my previous cars, an lxi sedan, due to a small fire that damaged the cable. I don't recall the exact steps, because its been many years, but I do recall using part of the old cable to snake the new one through the dash into the engine compartment.

NXRacer
05-03-2013, 04:39 PM
The hinge that holds the latch lever in the car can go bad and break. Both 3G's I had had broken levers and makes it difficult to get a good pull on the release cable.

Jafir
05-03-2013, 06:50 PM
The hinge that holds the latch lever in the car can go bad and break. Both 3G's I had had broken levers and makes it difficult to get a good pull on the release cable.

The new cable comes with the lever inside the car. I'm not sure there are many matching colors anymore. The one I bought was back in about 2004, and I ordered a grey part number and they sent me a black part because grey didn't exist anymore.

Mike F
03-09-2015, 04:25 AM
Hey guys, I used this step by step instruction for my Accord: How To Replace Hood Latch Cables And Hood Support Struts (http://www.carid.com/articles/how-to-replace-hood-latch-cables-and-hood-support-struts.html)
it was pretty easy and fast.