PDA

View Full Version : Lighting problem on my efi conversion

dgon86
01-25-2013, 08:50 PM
Okay so I did the efi conversion on my 86dx and engine wise it's great. Turned on first crank. But when I got to the electrical I hit one problem. The front ends lights aren't working. I've checked every fuse, relay, connection and I've hit a light tester to see what's not getting power and on the headlights 2/3 connections are getting power. I'm stumped!!!! Help!!!!!

HLW
01-25-2013, 09:25 PM
The 3 pins on the headlight connector are high beam power, low beam power and ground. You should only have power to one pin with the lights on. When you turn on the high beams the power should move to a different pin. the third needs to be checked for continuity to ground.

dgon86
01-25-2013, 09:57 PM
Well when I checked them I had power to 2 pins at the same time. Is that normal or is this a sign of a faulty ground connection?

AccordB20A
01-26-2013, 04:43 PM
check the earths that bolt to the chassis by the headlights as one may be not connected

dgon86
01-28-2013, 10:24 PM
I've checked it and they are connected. I'm in a bind right now. I need to get this driving already. I hate to do it but I'm gonna have to get an electrical guy to check it out.

Dr_Snooz
01-29-2013, 02:20 PM
You sure the headlight switch isn't defective?

dgon86
01-29-2013, 07:11 PM
Not completely sure. Unfortunately. How do I check if its still work? My headlight motors aren't working either.

A18A
01-29-2013, 09:04 PM
did you plug the control box under the dash for them back in after putting the car back together?

dgon86
01-29-2013, 09:31 PM
Yeah I started with the engine since I took it out to retorque and clean it. Then added the pgm fi and hooked up the engine harness. Dropped it in. Next was the main harness. I connected all the front end stuff then connected the dash box. After that I put the dash in and all my gauges work fine. The turn signals are fast like if I have a bad bulb but they still work. I'm stumped man.

POS carb
01-30-2013, 06:54 AM
If you are getting power at the headlight connector I suspect ground issue, check continuity to ground on the ground wire

If there is no power check underhood fuse #19 (40a) this provides power to the combination switch

dgon86
01-31-2013, 09:33 PM
How does one check continuity to a ground?

Vanilla Sky
02-01-2013, 01:38 PM
Test between the ground connector and bare metal on the chassis somewhere.

dgon86
02-01-2013, 05:33 PM
I'm taking my fenders off to make sure all grounds are connected. Rain in la did have me rushing but I'm getting a multimeter tester and checking it all out tomorrow. Thanks for your help everyone. Hopefully ill have it driving this week. Thanks 3geezers!!!!

Dr_Snooz
02-02-2013, 10:43 PM
If you're getting power through the high beam and low beam side at the same time, that would seem to indicate a switch problem to me. You should only be getting power through one side at a time, depending on the position of the switch. At least that's what it looks like to me on the diagram. I'm not great at reading them, though. It's also possible that the wires are shorting inside the harness somewhere. *Gulp*

dgon86
02-03-2013, 01:57 PM
Well that problem got fixed already. Switch position is only letting power through one side at a time now. The short in the harness is what I'm scared of. I hope it's not that.

dgon86
02-04-2013, 04:18 PM
Since they are getting power can I just cut the ground from the lights and ground it to the chassis?

dgon86
02-04-2013, 05:07 PM
I think I found the problem!!!!! Ahhhhhh!!!!!! Super excited!!!!

dgon86
02-04-2013, 05:59 PM
I noticed on my bs block there is sensor for what I would believe is the temperature but the harness I got from an lxi with the bt block it doesn't have the connection for it. My computer blinks 6 times indicating the thermostat sensors. One had a clipped wire. Does anyone know if this is the temperature reader?

Dr_Snooz
02-05-2013, 08:10 PM
You should fix the CEL, but I don't think it has anything to do with your headlights.

dgon86
02-06-2013, 12:34 AM
My CEL isn't on. The ecu is just sending the thermostat code because of a cut wire. Fixed that. Head lights and retractor motors turn signals are working now. I'm thinking my brake sensor is broke. Getting a new one. But the temp sensor. Is it located on the thermostat? There's no connection from the main harness to the sensor on the back of my block. Main concern now is. Don't want it to over heat while I drive it.

Dr_Snooz
02-06-2013, 09:36 PM
I'm not sure what your setup looks like, but on a factory LX-i, the ECT sensor (AKA TW sensor) is on the coolant neck that houses the thermostat. I can't remember what color it is, but it's the one closest to the head. Don't worry about it overheating because of that sensor. It sends signal to the ECU to adjust mixture according to coolant temp. When it goes out you get hard starts when the engine is warm.

dgon86
02-07-2013, 03:03 AM
Yeah I finally turned it on and the thermostat sensors are the temperature readers. The temp gauge worked after I set them up. And my hunting idle stopped after also. She is sounding beautiful. Just have to set up the interior and she is good. Weekend I hope she's driving.

dgon86
02-07-2013, 10:36 AM
Dang it. I'm getting code 13 from the ecu. I spaced on the atmospheric pressure sensor. Any clue to how this affects the car?