PDA

View Full Version : Fack. Alternator Died. Help!

zerovisual
10-25-2002, 05:28 AM
Aye. On the way to work this morning my car.. well, it decided to go on strike, so at the moment it's sitting about three miles down the road. Little bitch left me to walk four miles back home in the windy rain, in dress shoes no less. Ah well. Enough about me!

So. How much does a rebuilt alternator generally cost, and how hard is it to install? :)

-zv

Immeraufdemhund
10-25-2002, 05:36 AM
it's easy to intall, i got a rebuilt for 76 i think. It took me 10hours because i was trying to take off the a/c instead of the alternator. And i didn't know about the air box trick.. I was asking everyone and they told me to take off my axel and blah blha blah. get on the top and take off what you can. Jack up your car and put jack stands on. Take off the two bolts on the engine. oh yah..oops first take off all the wire connectores. Then you can lower your car if you want. Remove your air box, if you still have it on and take out your altinator. install in just like you took it off. i'd estimate 2-3 hours time if your not familiar with the parts.

jigga225
10-25-2002, 02:35 PM
ok if it takes 10 hours then its not easy. I did an alternator and it was hard as hell for me. I was tryin to do it the wrong way.
Call around and get a rebuilt one.

anchovies
10-25-2002, 08:41 PM
I was searching for prices of alternators (rebuilts) last week. It was somewhere around 100-- bucks + core.
It should be 2-4 hours work from the top.

zerovisual
10-26-2002, 03:46 AM
I've already got dibs on a rebuilt, I just have to go pick it up. My main concern is actually getting to and removing/installing them. Anyone have any extra comments on the actual process? Anyone got pics? =op

Mike's89AccordLX
10-26-2002, 04:19 AM
:bh:

zerovisual
10-26-2002, 04:52 AM
Okay, that was no help at all. =op

pimp86LX
10-26-2002, 05:15 AM
well depending on trim level..it will depend on how many belts you have to take off

but

take belt/belts off by lostening adjusters
disconnect and unbolt from mounting bracket
remove up through the area were the air box is sposda be
the gay haynes says to remove the drive axel but thats bull just slide and squeeze it through the top

pimp86LX
well depending on trim level..it will depend on how many belts you have to take off

but

the gay haynes says to remove the drive axel but thats bull just slide and squeeze it through the top

pimp86LX

but

UH that was wierd, my computer farted and posted this 3 times. Please reduce my post count accordingly

Peace

shepherd79
10-26-2002, 05:40 AM
ok, changing alternator on EFI is very simple.
first locate the alternator. it is on the back of the engine.
second take out the air box, that is behind engine. this will give you some room to remove it and work on it.
third remove belts. you should have 3 total, unless your AC is not working and you removed AC belt.
forth, remove the bolts and diconnect the wires from the alternator.
fifth, now take it out through the hole where Airbox used to be.
install a new one, should be a piece of cake.