PDA

View Full Version : lowered cv axels?

red88accorddx
10-25-2002, 05:38 PM
Does anyone know a company that has cv axels made for lowered cars? I bought new ones from kragens about a year ago and i'm on my second pair in need of a third. My car is way god damb low. so I think that is why I go through them like I do.

Jims 86LXI HB
10-25-2002, 06:01 PM
Just how low is your car?

I've never heard of cv's for lowered cars. Can anybody shead some light on the subject? A URL would be great.

anchovies
10-25-2002, 08:50 PM
i think there is a company that makes a lifetime warranty for the axles.

red88accorddx
10-26-2002, 06:55 AM
Well mine are lifetime warrenty but it gets old tearing them out every 3-4 months to take em down and warrenty them. My car is lowered about 3 inches I believe. I cut 3 coils off of my springs and it rides better than you would think. It is just a way to get me by while I slowly save up for air ride. It was lower when I had my stock wheels on. but my 17's are slightly bigger in circumfrance. So any ways someone had told me if I buy HONDA replacement axels they will last, but as for the cost, its a bit high for my poor litte wallet. I want to post some pics but the little thing in the bottom left says I cant, can anyone shed some light on to that for me?

ACCORD EX
10-26-2002, 10:01 AM
i don't think C.V axles have problem with lowring because a C.V. joint can move in all directions ( due to road conditions )

maybe the reason you have problems with them is doing high acceleration while turning !

MIKE

pearldrop
10-28-2002, 08:00 AM
My car was lower than that and I never had problems with cv joints wearing out. The CV boots wear out faster because they are at a tighter angle but you just have to keep up on those when they go bad.

Grant2k
10-28-2002, 10:57 AM
if the joints are at a bigger angle then they should wear faster, like the U-joints on a lifted truck. but i have never heard of anything for lowered cars. really, lowering the car should make the angle on the joints less so they should technically last longer. just a thought.

and could somebody make a how-to on how to change the axles.

Mantis88LX
10-29-2002, 09:24 AM
yeab ut if u go to low then it will put more stress on them, i think 1'' drop to maybe 2'' would be ok,

Kevin
11-03-2002, 06:35 PM
Do you have problems hitting things in the road??? My car is lowered like 2.25 and i have hit so much shit!! Going down the highway doing like 90 i hit some kind of dead animal and dented my oil pan!!!

carotman
11-04-2002, 08:14 AM
Like ACCORDEX said, there should be no problem with CV axles on a lowered car. They can move in all directions and will even move in and out of the transmission. The Inner joint allows such travel.

Which joint does bad all the time??? Inside or outside???? is it always the same axle???

Grant2k
11-04-2002, 09:32 AM
my outers are the ones that are going, and the ones that the boot is always off of.

carotman
11-04-2002, 11:47 AM
if the boot breaks, the CV joint will get dirt/water/grime and will eventually start to make a clunking noise.

When you got your axles, did the boots looked in good shape? were they new?

Grant2k
11-04-2002, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by carotman
if the boot breaks, the CV joint will get dirt/water/grime and will eventually start to make a clunking noise.

When you got your axles, did the boots looked in good shape? were they new?

don't worry, i know all about the dangers of broken cv boots. they were not new when i got the car. i replaced the torn outer boot on one side but the split boots just don't hold together as good as the real ones, so i have replaced it again since and i am going to replace both axles over the winter.

dXsquared
11-04-2002, 03:36 PM
i have had new cv shafts on my living room floor for a month and a half... i am waiting for my suspension to arive along with my header and weber and cam... then i be rentin a garage for a week and doin all the shit then... i will also be doin some body work then as well. and VIPER blue should be shot by X MAS... maybe sooner... i am sooo busy!!!

Travis

Grant2k
11-04-2002, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by DXHATCHBACK
i have had new cv shafts on my living room floor for a month and a half... i am waiting for my suspension to arive along with my header and weber and cam... then i be rentin a garage for a week and doin all the shit then... i will also be doin some body work then as well. and VIPER blue should be shot by X MAS... maybe sooner... i am sooo busy!!!

Travis

that sounds like it's gonna be sick. i can't wait for some pictures when it's done.