PDA

View Full Version : Shift issues

thomson85
02-07-2013, 08:18 PM
I plan to replace the ATF this weekend, and adding some TransX additive. Here's my transmission issues, and would like some input to help figure out the issue. I know that there is a common problem with the accelerator cable that goes to the transmission not being set up right. I did check the leveler on the trans did move exactly when I move the throttle.

My issue: For the most part, my car shifts through every gear at 2.5k RPM. This makes acceleration VERY slow at times. Sometimes when I push the peddle to the floor, it makes not much difference (no downshift & still shifts at 2.5k RPM). Every once in a while, when flooring it (which I only do in "emergencies") it will downshift, but then will not shift out of 2nd or 3rd gear (depends what gear it downshifts too).

I was curious if anyone has anyone had any ideas or similar experiences that may help me out. I appreciate any responses.

Vehicle Information:

1989 Honda Accord Lx-i
2.0L Fuel Injected
188,XXX Miles
(As of now, it is completely stock. No mods)

thomson85
02-07-2013, 08:23 PM
History:

Acquired: Vehicle was my wife's grandfather's. He passed away, and I got it. Can't complain over a free car.

Fluid: ATF is still what was in the car when I got it. It is brown and MUST be changed. I hope this is the main issue. :|

Other: I thought there may be an adjustment issue with the transmission lever acceleration cable. However, when I move the throttle the lever moves at the same time without delay.

Final Thoughts: I am not looking to set it up to red line it, I simply want it back to OEM specifications. I know smooth shifting will not come until Honda ATF is reintroduced into the system. However, it strictly shifting at 2.5k RPM is annoying and IS AN ISSUE. I will post any results that may come from the fluid change this weekend. I just thought someone could lend some advice. Thanks.

2oodoor
02-08-2013, 03:27 AM
Adjust the tv cable to alter shift points. The tv cable moves with throttle opening so keep in mind any change in the tune up affects the amount of throttle needed thus affects the tv cable and shift points. This can be a trail by error adjustment and sensative, for me ideally I like mine to shift at a low rpm with no hunting and ability to stay in "5th" gear lock up at 60 mph without hunting.
Look > http://www.3geez.com/forum/how/40885-automatic-transmission-fluid-check-throttle-valve-tv-cable-adjustment.html
As for fluid, a good multi use synthetic atf would work or dexron/mercon 3 and include syn additive.
Im not sure which end of the shift range you're having issues with but you might try advancing ignition timing a few degrees and re adjust base idle speed... I would bet that would make a difference.

A example situation: if the base idle ( not mixture adjustment) speed adjustment is too high, like 1200 rpm in D then the throttle position as it does relate the tv cable, is telling the transmission it is already close to a shift or it is not time to shift... Depending how the tv lever is indexed at the time.

Dr_Snooz
02-08-2013, 03:52 PM
I would definitely change the oil posthaste. If it shifts at 2,500 no matter the throttle position, then you have something gumming up the mechanism inside the trans. Consider doing a flush.