PDA

View Full Version : Pulling shit out of the carb.

James
10-26-2002, 10:05 AM
Carb problem I believe. I start the car, it high idles. I tap the gas, it drops to about 1000rpms. I drop it in gear, and idle drops to 750rpms (Good so far) Then I push the gas to accelerate, I hear the engine having trouble and it stalls usually. Restart the car, but give it just a tiny bit of gas and keep increasing pressure slowly and it doesn't stall. Now, it runs fine on slow accelerations. But if I really need to get going, I don't mean real fast, but just fast enough to jump onto a 45mph street without slowing traffic. I push gas, and car starts reving fine for about 1 sec, then it reaches 2,000rpms and if feels like the car is going to stall, drops rpms for a second, then jumps back up and feels extremely weak untill about 3000rpms and then it runs like a dream. Whats up with this? I took it to a shop becasue I couldn't figure it out. Only thing they found wrong was the timing was slightly off. They fixed it, but I still have this problem. They said it felt like something was stuck in the carb, but they didn't open it. So I was wondering. If I opened the carb and looked in, could I possible see a built up of old shit in it and take it out? Or would the build up be way down in the carb where I could only reach if I took the whole dang thing apart?

A20A1
10-26-2002, 12:08 PM
Change the fuel filters first.

you may want to check the vacuum line to the powervalve... and yes you have a fuel bowl that usually collects gunk... you will have to remove the airbox and top hat of the carb.

I doubt this is the problem but If you take off the gold colored metal screen inside the air box and poke your finger into one of the barrels you will hit a small cylinder... see if the cylinder wiggles back and forth... for the primary barrel you will have to hold open the choke.

ACCORD EX
10-26-2002, 02:40 PM
so if it wiggles what does that man ! and if not ?
sorry just curious ! :)

MIKE

A20A1
10-26-2002, 11:40 PM
oh, hehe it means the venturi is loose... if it's loose gas has a hard time getting from the float bowl to the barrels cause the pressure drop is uneven or the vacuum bleeds off before it can decrease the pressure in the main fuel circuit.

doug
10-26-2002, 11:52 PM
sounds like a weak accelerator pump diaphragm

A20A1
10-27-2002, 12:27 AM
oops sorry its the booster venturi... the venturi itself in the hourglass shaped part of the barrel.

"Restart the car, but give it just a tiny bit of gas and keep increasing pressure slowly and it doesn't stall."

Is the car cold when you have to do this or is it all the time when you go to start it?

also

"sounds like a weak accelerator pump diaphragm"

check the spring stiffness on the accelerator arm rod.

here is a pic:

James
10-29-2002, 03:00 PM
1. Anytime.

2. Ok I will check all that stuff this weekend.