PDA

View Full Version : Air conditioning with a 32 36 weber?

Australian 86
02-10-2013, 01:07 AM
Title says it all...

how reliable is idle when using AC with a 32 36 weber, it can get pretty
hot here in Australia, i really do need AC...

2oodoor
02-10-2013, 03:50 AM
You can use a 12v solenoid idle stepper that plunges out when energized as the compressor gets 12v. These were used as oem vehicles that sported the 32/36 and Holley clones of it.
I actually think you could re use one of the many vacuum and solenoid switches on the car already that won't be used after the swap anyway.
You can also tweek the idle with the ac on and make sure to cut the car off in gear so it won't afterburn or diesel. Webers ways need idle tweeking with weather changes here anyway.

Australian 86
03-02-2013, 03:22 PM
Ok great to know... is there anyone here who could explain how to achieve this? I know asking for a walkthrough is a little much,
but even a parts list would be great!

Dr_Snooz
03-02-2013, 06:11 PM
I think you have to fab it, if you want it. Be sure to take lots of pics of whatever you end up making.

Australian 86
03-02-2013, 10:17 PM
Hmmm bugga... Im a musician by trade, so i don't have a huge amount of time or expertise up my sleeve
to play around with these sort of things easily... I guess worst case scenario is that i could install some kind
of manual choke that lifts up the rpm by a 100rpm or so when i want to put the AC on... that wouldn't be too
annoying i guess...

2oodoor
03-03-2013, 08:22 AM
Just go forth with the install, it may idle fine without the addition. Don't let this hold you up, seriously it's not a problem yet is it?
The worst issue here is if it diesels when you cut the car off from the idle being too high.

Dr_Snooz
03-03-2013, 12:09 PM
The way it works on most cars is that when you turn the A/C on, it trips a vacuum actuator to pull the throttle open a little more. If you can install a choke, then you are most of the way there. All you need to do beyond that is find or run a wire to send vacuum to the actuator when the A/C turns on. It would be even easier if you did it 2oodoor's way with an electric solenoid. The hardest part will be to create a bracket to mount the solenoid to.

Does that help any?