PDA

View Full Version : Key wouldn't come out

import racer
02-10-2013, 01:16 PM
So the other morning it was really cold out.car rolled pretty slow but started,I need to get a new battery when I get some extra money.anyway when I got to the car pool I shut the car off but couldn't get the key to turn all the way back to get it out.after playing with it for 5 minutes or so got it out.is there anything i can spray in the switch to keep this from happening again.

Legend_master
02-10-2013, 06:27 PM
Its only gonna get worse, but you could spray some white lithium grease in there as a temp fix. Eventually you will have to replace the lock cylinder.

charliekuney
02-10-2013, 08:04 PM
Powdered graphite. Use it in all key holes, work like new.

import racer
02-11-2013, 04:13 PM
Well this was the first time this ever happened to me,so I'll try the graphite.thanks charlie

dieselgus
02-11-2013, 09:08 PM
And if it is an automatic, may as well check your neutral safety/prndl switch. Old grease+cold= contacts not connecting properly. Easy enough to carefully disassemble and clean/regrease.

88Accord-DX
02-11-2013, 09:13 PM
I agree with legend & have replaced a boatload of lock cylinders with your concern. The tumblers get worn out & the key cylinder will need replaced. Lithium spray grease is a cheap shot for $6.00 a can, but good luck. I also advise getting a new key cut also, new cylinder & worn out key don't work either.

import racer
02-12-2013, 04:42 PM
Well I think because it was so cold and that's why it wouldn't turn all the way back so I could get the key out.maybe when it gets warmer out I'll take the switch apart and clean and re lube with dielectric grease.

import racer
02-14-2013, 04:24 PM
Would WD-40 help.

Legend_master
02-14-2013, 04:33 PM
Would WD-40 help.

How to Fix an Ignition Key That Doesn't Turn: 7 steps (http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-an-Ignition-Key-That-Doesn't-Turn)

gyates93
02-14-2013, 04:46 PM
Would WD-40 help.

I wouldn't use WD-40, graphite or Lithium are a better bet. I notice mine gets a little stiff when cold too, I guess I should do the same to mine.

Off topic but:
I noticed the rims on your car in the picture, are they off of a Mazda MX3/ Precidia? I had a set of 15s like that and couldn't get them to fit over the hubs on the back, how did you get yours to fit? (Maybe the coupe has different sized hubs.. ? )

Dr_Snooz
02-14-2013, 08:20 PM
WD-40 attracts dirt. It might help for a time, but will leave a lot of gritty goop in your ignition switch. I have a lot of different lubes around here, but WD-40 isn't among them.

import racer
02-15-2013, 04:13 PM
Well I had some liquid wrench with anti-seize and sprayed that in and it seemed to help.It was only a problem when shutting off the car,it was hard to turn the last position to get key out.The wheels were on the car when I bought it so I couldn't tell u what they are off of man.But they fit on the back with no problem,and they are 15".