PDA

View Full Version : oil change !

ACCORD EX
10-26-2002, 02:43 PM
i decided that my next oil change won't be by draining ( removing the drain plug ) but sucking old oil in a gas station !
anyway i always used to change my filter with my oil together but now i'll have to go home after i change the oil and put a new filter !
my question is : how many liters do i put using the old filter , i know it's 3.5 L when changing both !

thanx a lot everybody !

MIKE

AZmike
10-26-2002, 03:31 PM
I'm not sure I understand what you are doing. Why aren't you draining the oil out the plug?

doug
10-26-2002, 05:31 PM
get ready for an oil spill from the engine when you take off the filter with a full load of oil in the car.

smufguy
10-26-2002, 11:12 PM
i dont care, i just dump in 4 quarts and i chage my filter. but if ur talking about putting new oil in with a new filter, ur either crazy or just funny mike :P. anywayz, i dont know exactly man. just put in 4 quarts, its gonna be soo bad hot in egypt now, when we here are ready to freeze our asses.

KaMiKaZeE
10-26-2002, 11:20 PM
No kidding Doug! What are u thinking man? U will just have to fill it again when you put the filter on unless u have some wierd-ass remote filter above the block or something???:werd:

ACCORD EX
10-27-2002, 04:15 AM
the problem is not in adding oil after i put the new filter !
the problem is how much do i put while the filter is on ! does it take 3.5 L too !

MIKE

Mike's89AccordLX
10-27-2002, 04:26 AM
I'm buying this fully synthetic oil called AMS OIL. I can get if for $5 a quart and $5 for the filter. The thing is, you only have to change your oil every 6 months. And it's a high quality oil.

shepherd79
10-27-2002, 05:20 AM
OK Mike,
Yes you will need 3.5L of to putt in. minus about .5 for the filter.
so i would just say try 3 L and it if not enought add a little.
the one thing i don't understand why are you changing oil first and than filter later. change everything at once. you don't want dirty oil that is in the filter mixed with new oil. At least i wouldn't do that my car.

Mike's89AccordLX
10-27-2002, 05:25 AM
I thought it was implied that I was going to change it all. I thought that's how everyone does it. But yeah I'm changing everything.

AZmike
10-27-2002, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Mike's89AccordLX
I thought it was implied that I was going to change it all. I thought that's how everyone does it. But yeah I'm changing everything.

I think was was replying to ACCORD EX Mike, not you Mike or me Mike.

ACCORD EX
10-27-2002, 12:45 PM
i think there is just so many mikes out there ! :D
anyway i am gonna change the filter once i get home ( to my garage because they only change oil in the station !

MIKE

88WhiteLX-i
10-27-2002, 05:43 PM
Why does the station only change your oil?? I would think that if they could change your oil they would have the capability to change your filter as well.....

Greg
10-27-2002, 05:56 PM
:beer: I don't understand why you would be doing things this way. If you take the drain plug out from the bottom of your pan, all the oil comes out of your engine.

If you take off the oil filter with oil in your engine, then all the oil also comes out of your engine -- except everything that's in the pan, below the filter.

Basically, if you try to take off the filter with oil in your engine, you're only gonna make a big mess because you can't control where it leaks out as well as you can control where the oil goes when you loosen the drain plug.

So just change your oil and filter at the same time unless you want to be mopping up your driveway or garage floor for an hour and then cleaning it with concrete cleaner afterward.
:deal:

DBMaster
10-27-2002, 06:14 PM
When removing the filter you will only lose what's in the filter. Before they came out with high capacity synthetic media filters used to change my filter at 5K miles and the oil every ten. This was using synthetic oil. The main reason you don't really want to change the oil then the filter is that you will be mixing 0.5 quarts of old oil in with your new oil. It would really be much better to change both at once, but you won't lose all of your oil by taking off the filter. Just change it out and add back 0.5 quarts (roughly 0.5 L).

ACCORD EX
10-27-2002, 11:50 PM
ok i'll try to change them both ! ! thanx for the input !

MIKE

Xulfiqar
10-29-2002, 10:27 AM
the capacity of the filter is 0.5 litre and the sump holds 3 litres

And one more thing
Genuine Honda Filters have a lock down valve system that prevents oil drainage when the engine is shut off - so be wary to buy a geniune one

1988starter
10-29-2002, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Mike's89AccordLX
I'm buying this fully synthetic oil called AMS OIL. I can get if for $5 a quart and $5 for the filter. The thing is, you only have to change your oil every 6 months. And it's a high quality oil.

I saw a truck with one of their add on the back says 6 months or 7500 miles.