PDA

View Full Version : I'm back from the past with a clutch problem

NXRacer
02-12-2013, 05:29 PM
Wow things sure have changed around here since I've been gone. I like the new look. Any OG members still around?

Anyway, my 3g has been a workhorse and hasn't let me down till yesterday. I've been having recent weird clutch issues and I thought at first my cable was going bad, but yesterday I found out it wasn't the cable. I've been adjusting the cable more and more over the last few days due to shifting problems and yesterday I lost all ability to clutch. I looked under my dash where the pedal is and there is a broken bracket that the cable connects to. Metal is actually broken under there.

Has anybody replaced the pedal assembly bracket? How much of a PITA is it?

I know I know I should have searched, but I'm kind of in a hurry and was looking more for somebody who might experience doing this swap.

Thanks!

Dr_Snooz
02-12-2013, 06:17 PM
It's not fun, but it's do-able. I pulled the steering column when I did mine, but legend has it that you don't have to. I'd say it's easily done in a weekend.

NXRacer
02-12-2013, 09:05 PM
thanks. It looks like it might be possible to do w/out taking out the column. I'm looking at an 89 hatch thats in decent condition for 800 bucks that I might buy to give me more time to work on this one. There aren't any junk yards in my area to find a replacement :(

MessyHonda
02-12-2013, 11:27 PM
I heard of this happening. the only person that i remember that made a reinforced bracket was twoloudnproud. here is his link but the pics are broken http://www.3geez.com/forum/accord-pics-videos/64611-god-out-get-me.html

A18A
02-13-2013, 01:05 AM
much much easier to do with the column dropped/removed :)

Legend_master
02-13-2013, 02:23 AM
It's not fun, but it's do-able. I pulled the steering column when I did mine, but legend has it that you don't have to. I'd say it's easily done in a weekend.

Definitely possible, but I would recommend removing the column. With all the wires and cables it's a total pain in the ass!

2oodoor
02-13-2013, 03:36 AM
I heard of this happening. the only person that i remember that made a reinforced bracket was twoloudnproud. here is his link but the pics are broken http://www.3geez.com/forum/accord-pics-videos/64611-god-out-get-me.html

Um no, TWOLOUD is not God and don't you know he took down all his pics... Well he thinks he did anyway heh.

NXRacer ! it's cool to see ya check in, now go secure that hatch!

POS carb
02-13-2013, 10:33 AM
Same thing happened to me, the column should be dropped. There is not enough clearance to rotate the pedals around the shaft, believe me I tried.

When I did my 5-speed swap I routed the clutch cable incorrectly so it had too much resistance and eventually caused a failure of the bracket. I had to drive it home without the clutch. When I replaced the pedals and re-routed the cable I was amazed at how smooth it was to operate the clutch, I was kind of glad it happened.

It wasn't a complete pain in the ass, I was able to do it in the parking lot of my apartment in one day

NXRacer
02-13-2013, 06:22 PM
Definitely possible, but I would recommend removing the column. With all the wires and cables it's a total pain in the ass!

I was hoping I didn't have to go all that way, but when the junk yard brought the assembly to me, I'm seeing that I'll have to pull the column.

Um no, TWOLOUD is not God and don't you know he took down all his pics... Well he thinks he did anyway heh.

NXRacer ! it's cool to see ya check in, now go secure that hatch!

Thanks! Its been a while. I think I'm gonna hang out for a little bit and see if I can contribute with some of my old skool knowledge :thumbup:

It wasn't a complete pain in the ass, I was able to do it in the parking lot of my apartment in one day

Thats good to know! I'll be spending tomorrow working on it. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Legend_master
02-13-2013, 06:36 PM
I actually removed the pedals from the assembly when I did it, but had I known more I would have removed the column.

NXRacer
02-14-2013, 09:18 PM
Well that wasn't as hard as I was anticipating, thanks to all the pointers in this thread!. It took me about 5 hrs. Its been broken for a WHILE. The clutch feels 100% different. 3rd gear doesn't scratch as much. Not sure how that one happened. Brake and clutch pedal sensors are different between the years. I got my pedal assembly from an 87, (might have been an 88) and the sensors are different and have different plugs on them. I also thought it was strange that replacement pedal assembly didn't have a bracket for the cruise control. Luckily I tore my CC out a long time ago to clean up the engine bay. I took come phone pictures along the way. I'm going to see if I took enough to make a how-to.

POS carb
02-15-2013, 08:04 AM
Yea I forgot, cars w/ cruise will have an extra lever for the accelerator and a 4-pin switch instead of a 2-pin

NXRacer
10-13-2013, 03:01 PM
So a little update. First replacement lasted about 6months and broke again. 2nd time around was a lot faster than the first time. I don't understand why it broke again? I replaced the clutch cable this time around to see if that had any affect on its durability.

bullard123
10-14-2013, 05:07 AM
Awww man that sucks. Good to see you back around again