PDA

View Full Version : a few questions

Immeraufdemhund
10-26-2002, 03:36 PM
ok, i went car shopping today for one of my friends, and i happened apon a 86 accord lx. It had been sitting for a little bit so ihad a little bit of a time to get it started and running. I could start it but it would turn off after high idle turned off. I let it warm up and no problems a little bit of white smoke coming out of the muffler, but i think it was just cause it was sitting there. So i took the car for a spin and it had like no acceleration.. first question, any thoughts as to why? then i was driving down the road some more and when i came to a stop (the same instant) there was a clunk, or something like that... second question...what could that be? and finally when i turn the car to the laft fairly sharp it sounds like some one put a card inbetween the spokes of the rims (yah it doesn't have spokes, but it's the only way i can describe it). What's that?? The guy wanted 1,200 for it.. i told him i dont think so. I'm thinking either two things. One the timing is off alittle bit, but it's not mis firing but only once or twice every minute of just ideling. It had a little bit of a hard time with the idle though. and or i was reading alittle bit when you guys start talking about pulling vacuum tubes and what not.. (i dont retain it cause i have efi) could that cause a problem with what i'm describing?? anywho timne to get back ot work bye

Rob

shepherd79
10-26-2002, 04:19 PM
first of all if it been sitting there for a while, may be fuel got separated from water.
clicking sound could be it will need a new cv-joint.
no acceleration, could be because of the fuel, need tune up very bad, timming may be off too.
check under the car for anything missing.
oh yeah, if the car in this condition, talk to the guy and tell him that that is the problem with a car and it will cost an arm and a leg to fix all those prices. don't buy it for more than 900-1000.

A20A1
10-26-2002, 11:37 PM
i bought mine for $500 :D, but I'vwe seen some crashed 3 g's going for 1,200... it's pretty sad. I wanted to buy a cheap car so i can pull the motor and trans and interior parts if I wanted the tow the rest away :(

ACCORD EX
10-27-2002, 04:17 AM
clicking is propably C.V joints !
about acceleration could be a lot of thing ! does the RPM raise and no power , if so it could be clutch slipping .
could be a head gasket , timing , carb ! :(

MIKE

Mike's89AccordLX
10-27-2002, 04:20 AM
That reminds me I have to get my timing checked.

Immeraufdemhund
10-30-2002, 06:28 AM
no the clutch isn't slipping, or so i think. I was able to tweet the tires in first only. When i had it in neutral and reved it the tack went up slower than my efi would. It's like i had to push the gas more than what i'm used to do make it rev like mine. Then when i'm going up hill or heck even on a straight away i could floor the booger and it wouldn't sound any different, which in my car it would sound like it was struggling. If i had the money to play with it i would get it from him and work on it. I should ask him if i could play with it on his time and his money. Anymore questions i need to answer?