PDA

View Full Version : Washer Pump Replacement - Remove Bumper or not?

gyates93
02-13-2013, 05:57 PM
Quick question,

I have determined that the washer fluid pump on my '89 is burnt out, how does one go about replacing this thing?

Is it possible to get the washer fluid tank out of the car without hauling the bumper off? I am afraid to take the thing off because I may not get it all back on properly..

How does the pump come out of the tank anyway? I'm planning on taking a 1700km road trip next weekend, and it won't be fun driving in this weather without washer fluid.

Thanks

Legend_master
02-13-2013, 07:03 PM
The pump is actually mounted on the side of the tank. Just remove the fender lining/undertrey on the drivers side. Then you can access the pump at that point. Its on page 21-77 of the shop manual.

gyates93
02-13-2013, 07:42 PM
Shop manual shows the location of the pump and I've tested it. WRT replacement, the manual says "If motor fails to run, replace it. "
How does it come off the plastic tank? I haven't seen any mounting bolts or anything of the like. Will the tank need to come out of the car or the bumper come off to gain enough clearance to remove?

Legend_master
02-13-2013, 08:23 PM
Shop manual shows the location of the pump and I've tested it. WRT replacement, the manual says "If motor fails to run, replace it. "
How does it come off the plastic tank? I haven't seen any mounting bolts or anything of the like. Will the tank need to come out of the car or the bumper come off to gain enough clearance to remove?

If I can remember right, all you do is pull the pump out. It just fits in the whole snugly. Removing the bumper will make your life easier, but it can be done without removal.

POS carb
02-14-2013, 08:37 AM
Just remove the fender liner on the driver side.
You don't need to remove the tank.
Pry the motor out, pull on the top part near the electrical connector. Most likely you will need a new gasket too (it should come with the new pump)
while it is off, blast some water down the filler tube to get any algae and crud out of the bottom of the tank so that it doesn't clog up the new pump and lines.