PDA

View Full Version : whats a normal idle on start up?

SLCPUNK
10-26-2002, 04:53 PM
1986 Accord Dx/carb 213k

When I start this car up in revs around 2000 for a good five mintues before it drops down to 1k. That's only after I tap the gas pedal a few times. Is this normal for a car this age? Or is it something I can adjust to make it go down? Will new spark plug wires help maybe? They look kind of shot. Idle speed screw? (I might note that I have gone through all vacum lines and replaced damaged lines/hissing noises are gone.)

Also, I see where the PCV tube leads from the air filter housing to the cam shaft cover (that's it right?) but I don't see any pcv valve. There is what appears to be a pre-filter on the side of the housing where the tube mates up. I had bought a replacement valve. Does that go on the camshaft cover end? Or more towards the cleaner housing?

Thanks all for the help. I almost have this thing running well.

doug
10-26-2002, 05:10 PM
yeah, that is normal for the fast idle, depending on the outside temps it runs at 2000 or so for several minutes. Your operating temp idle may be slightly high at 1 grand though, no biggie.

SLCPUNK
10-26-2002, 05:22 PM
Thanks, I'l leave well enough alone on that.

Anyone on the PCV valve? Thanks.

doug
10-26-2002, 05:25 PM
the pcv valve is on the intake manifold right in fron of the carb and you can see a small hose bent in a loop, the valve is on the left side of the loop hose stuck into a grommet that is in the manifold

SLCPUNK
10-26-2002, 05:52 PM
Found it. It was down in there a bit. Now if I could just find where I laid down the new pcv valve? :super:

ACCORD EX
10-27-2002, 04:09 AM
als o check the FAQ's for everything about PCV valve !

MIKE

Mike's89AccordLX
10-27-2002, 04:17 AM
How can you tell if your pcv valve needs changing?

SLCPUNK
10-27-2002, 10:24 AM
I was going to replace it because I didn't see anything in the records that indicated it had been. By the way the previous owner took care of the car, I doubt it had been done.

Generally with a PCV valve, if you shake it and it doesn't rattle it's bad. If it does rattle is ok and doesn't need to be replaced. I replace mine at certain mileage intervals, whatever the spec is.