PDA

View Full Version : cooling sensor/switch/sending unit help needed

doug
10-26-2002, 05:04 PM
I installed a new temperature sensor/switch in the radiator and a new sending unit in the intake manifold of my carbed Accord. The parts store guy also had another temperature sensor that has the same looking electrical connector as the radiator fan switch unit. I'm not sure exactly where this goes. Looking at the service manual on 10-7 it shows a thermosensor under the intake manifold going into the engine block. When I was putting in the sending unit I didn't see any other sensor, but the oil filter may have been blocking my view. Anyone here know for sure where the sensor goes on a carbed car?

smufguy
10-26-2002, 10:56 PM
the carbed car has another thermo switch on the block as u mentioned. its bwt the oil filter and the pcv canister. The EFI guys dont have this, so if they say they do, they are just messing with you. i dont know how on earth ur gonna get it off with the intake still in the car, let alone the engine still in the car unless u jack it up real heigh.

anchovies
10-26-2002, 11:44 PM
Not pertaining to your topic but FI guys do have the tw switch. Pic from GDGuy11B. The green socket on thermostate housing.

http://3geez.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=77467

doug
10-27-2002, 07:21 AM
when I took the oil filter off, it was above and alittle to the right, had to use a 23mm deep well socket with universal joint and it was a real treat to get off, but the new one got installed. I did all three cooling sensors this weekend. Radiator fan switch 16 bucks, sending unit 15 bucks, and block thermosensor 33 bucks, plus a thermostat for 5 bucks. flushed system and added new coolant 5 bucks. About 70 bucks and 4 hours later I'm out of money and tired as shit.

bigpoppa88
10-28-2002, 10:03 AM
Doug what prompted you to change your sensors? Was it the overheating temp gauge problem?

doug
10-28-2002, 04:56 PM
bigpoppa88,
I needed to find out why my engine seems to run hot. My temp guage never reads above slightly below the middle of the guage. And my fans do turn on but only after it seems that the engine is hot. The fans also never run after the engine is turned off. I'm thinking it may be a cooling fan relay which I'm gonna get this week. This is the first Honda out of 4 I've owned that every time I turn the engine off there is a big rush of coolant from the radiator to overflow, the radiator is new, and the engine just seems hotter than any of the others I've had. I also went to a step cooler plug today thinking that may help in getting rid of some combustion chamber heat.

smufguy
10-28-2002, 09:45 PM
if u have a carb, ur fans dont turn on after the engine has been turned off. Only the Efi cars have a fan relay with fuse that keeps the fan running for 15 mts after u shut the car off.

anchovies
10-28-2002, 10:03 PM
Yes this car is hotter than most other cars.
Well at least my car is hotter than most others, i can't say anything about yours.

dj99
10-29-2002, 08:37 AM
On my LX, the engine temp runs below 50% on the dial, and the cooling fan(s) never run after the car is shut off.

DanG86LX
10-29-2002, 10:24 AM
What this block thermosensor do? I bet is there to help with emissions only.

doug
10-30-2002, 06:38 AM
DanG86LX,
I don't know how the block sensor interacts with the system, that is part of my research now.

smufguy,
My DX carb does have the cooling fan relay in the fuse/relay box that is right behind the battery. Although I don't know how it interacts with the system right now. That also is part of my research (need to find out) now.

dj99,
THe thing that puzzles me is even though the car is hotter at some times than at other times, the guage goes to just below 50% and stops, I've had it with 1/2 full radiator and real hot and never did it budge above just below 50%.

anchovies,
My DX is quite a bit hotter than any Honda I've owned. If this is normal to have the coolant shoot back and forth between the radiator and overflow even in moderate 20 mile trips with no fan coming on unless the A/c is on, that is real different.

To anyone,
Has anybody got an idea what the NORMAL tempature of the coolant should be after a 30 minute cruise at 65-70 on an interstate should be? This is a straight 50/50 mix, very new and
very clean. If I stick a thermo into the overflow tank what should that freshly spit out coolant be tempature wise? Thanks, friends, for the input.

doug
10-30-2002, 06:46 AM
Oh yeah, one other thing I forgot to follow up on. I switched to a cooler plug. I'm running nippon denso W20EXR-U11 now which is one step cooler than the standard. It did help. THe coolant exchange between radiator and overflow is no longer like violent projectile vomit, more like a just a speedy flow. I learned that spark plugs disapate heat based on design, which I either had forgotten or never knew. Car still seems hot, but not as extreme as before. for what it's worth....

dj99
10-30-2002, 08:31 AM
Your new rad cap is rated at 13 lbs pressure?