PDA

View Full Version : small problem here...

89AccordExi
10-26-2002, 05:56 PM
ive got a small problem..

sometimes my steering wheel gets jammed sometimes and it wont turn smoothly and it makes a loud squeellling sound...

the only time it would happen is when i reverse after being parked and i turn the wheel

the driving is smooth..no probs with left or right turns...

any ideas?

Dutchboy
10-26-2002, 06:02 PM
tighten the power steering belt mabye...thats probably what the squeelig is

BEn

smufguy
10-26-2002, 10:53 PM
It happens on my dads 90 camry too. I just dont worry about it, though its EMBARESSING. well, it could be that its coming from ur rack (steering rack i mean ;)) rather than ur belt itself. I am not saying ben is wrong, but its just that when u hear it when the ps fluid is cold and not really warm enough (though engine is warmed up) it could happen. but u know what, i dont really know how to fix this, let alone how it happens.

89AccordExi
10-27-2002, 02:20 AM
yeh last winter it was like that...i was gonna get it checked out but it went away in the spring/summer...

now its back again...wierd...

thanks for the advice ill see what i can do

Dutchboy
10-27-2002, 10:21 AM
maye try changing the power steering fluid....if theres a abundance of water in the system it wont work as good...especially since its getting colder out

and if its not the belt it could very well possible be the rack or the pump itself....
theres valves in the rack which have to operate right.. I had to change the sterring gear on one of the work trucks becasue one of the valves in the gear box was stuck open or closed and the steering would steer itself to the left or right without touching the wheel.....THat was a fun time to drive when it was like that...
Ben