PDA

View Full Version : anyone know what temp the tstat sensors operate?

mykwikcoupe
02-16-2013, 06:57 PM
on an EFI 3G, there are 2 sensors on the thermostat housing. one being the TW (the white one) the other being a black sensor. The only threaded port on my aftermarket aluminum radiator is the drain port. Ive read in multiple places that most poeple just use the TW sensor in this case as its smaller then the actual lower radiator temp sensor on the stock accord radiator. this is what I had planned to do as well. Unfortunately though when i drained the radiator, the white TW sensor was too large to fit into the drain port. The black one fit perfect though. Unfortunately once again, upon testing the function of the fan, it came on way too early and well before the engine was actually up to operating temp. this in turn keeps the engine running very cool.

im curious if anyone has any refernencing material that shows the temps at which these sensors should operate. On a side note, i thought the 2 sensors from the Tstat had the same threads? Maybe mine is different for some reason?

ShyBoyCA6
02-16-2013, 08:19 PM
i believe between 170-195 degrees depending on which one you bought or has.

Legend_master
02-17-2013, 03:34 PM
According to the shop manual the one in the radiator turns on at 194f, and the one on the coolant housing turns on at 226f.

mykwikcoupe
02-18-2013, 05:03 PM
the one on the coolant housing, is this the black or the white sensor? Since there are 2 located in this spot. Thank you for looking this up for me.

Legend_master
02-18-2013, 05:13 PM
the one on the coolant housing, is this the black or the white sensor? Since there are 2 located in this spot. Thank you for looking this up for me.

I'm not fully sure, I know it is the one that controls the cooling fan.

Dr_Snooz
02-18-2013, 08:48 PM
Don't know the colors, but the one closest to the head is the TW sensor. It feeds data to the ECU. The outer one is the thermoswitch. It turns the cooling fans on when the car is off and the head temp is above 226F.