PDA

View Full Version : Mia. (89 accord Lx sedan)

neo_blue_accord
02-17-2013, 04:39 AM
So I am just now posting pics of my accord. It's been through a lot. I've been kicking the idea of a engine swap for a long time. Since I bought the car. I may end up just rebuilding the engine in her. Might as well since I spent 300+ for the damn carb lol.

These pics show the battery from my truck in them and a new weber carb I haven't used yet. 48944895489648974898

Dr_Snooz
02-17-2013, 07:46 PM
I've been kicking the idea of a engine swap for a long time. Since I bought the car. I may end up just rebuilding the engine in her.

I prefer to rebuild my own engines. You never know what another rebuilt has been through and with the age of our cars now, they are almost always severely hammered. If you are mechanically inclined, rebuilding your own is a rewarding experience. Use a good machine shop to prep the block, rebuild the head and provide you all the parts. Let the shop rebuild the head, as that requires all kinds of special tools. Take your time and have fun.

neo_blue_accord
02-18-2013, 10:02 PM
Yeah I've rebuilt my 305 in my truck so I have a good idea what needs done. My head on the car is in need of replacement. Stripped treads on the bolt holes that hold the cam followers down. Stripped bole holes on both intake and exhaust manifolds. Pretty much who had it before me didn't believe in torque wrenchs. Hope my block is still good enough. theres surface rust in the cylinders. We'll see what the shop thinks. I think it can be bored and honed.

Dr_Snooz
02-19-2013, 07:21 PM
When I rebuilt my first engine, I had "help." The "help" decided he was going to clean up all the threads in my head with a tap. I could never get any bolts to stay in the head afterward. You can Helicoil the threads, but that will add up pretty quickly if you have multiple holes. A donor head is probably a good idea.

neo_blue_accord
03-01-2013, 12:42 AM
Yeah I will probably get a head from either the junkyard or another car. I will say these honda engines are built amazing. Much tighter then my 305.

Dr_Snooz
03-01-2013, 10:11 AM
Oh yeah.

neo_blue_accord
04-09-2013, 02:27 AM
Thinking of rebuilding the bottom end and put a new head on it. Then pull my harness back out and swap in a EFI harness. Yeah I do have that new carb but God I am sick of carbs. My carb on my truck has been giving me fits for two weeks. It still runs like crap after I have checked the timing over and over. Should have put the 1,300 into this car. Would have been a nice build then. But no. Oh well. I did check the deck on it and it is good. The head is good too cept for the dang bolt holes. Anyways I figured I would mention that it will be converted to EFI Since I know it better and well I am sick of carbs.

Dr_Snooz
04-09-2013, 06:35 AM
You probably want to do some careful reading before embarking on that quest. You're in for an amazing amount of work.

http://www.3geez.com/forum/how/112-convert-carbureted-fuel-injected.html

Carbs have a logic all their own and if you don't know how to tune them, you'll have a lot of heartache. I had fairly good luck with the Edelbrock in my truck after a few months of tuning. I even got it through the notorious California smog check. Probably the best part of the Edelbrock was the little booklet they include that explains a carb's operation and all the different adjustments. The truck runs real well in most all conditions now (at least it did until the timing chain broke and bent all the valves.)

Spend some time on your new carb. There are a lot of little pots and solenoids that can go bad and cause a lot of problems when they do. The manual (http://honda.roadpwnage.com/manuals/pages/usdm-accord-1989-full.php) explains how to test everything to make sure it's operating properly. Do some additional reading about general carb tuning so you understand what's supposed to happen when and how to fix it when it isn't. It's a learning curve, but is well worth it if you want the car to run well.

neo_blue_accord
04-09-2013, 03:57 PM
Yeah, I've been doing alot of reading for three years on it. I have an edelbrock on my truck too. Has a timing gear drive set. Has that supercharger whine. As for the carb, I think some things are sticking a bit. Will have to get some cleaner through the fuel system. It's behaving fuel poblems. My weber is good. Lost a bolt for the mounting plate. Yeah, have to look through my tool chest. if I can't find it I guess buy a bolt. Its that little bolt that goes under the carb. The carb bolts to that plate. Theres three bolts lol. If I had a two car garage well I wouldn't have let my truck sit all winter. At least I didn't fill the tank with gas since it was going to sit. Oh before I forget, I do need to take my dash back out or loosen it. Some wires and cables need put in the right spot. Could paint it with it out. Smooth it up and paint it. Might as well start the interior while doing engine work too lol. Already started the body work.