PDA

View Full Version : air intake modification question

derolph
02-17-2013, 12:53 PM
Where can air intake assemblies like the one show in the middle photo of post #17 @ http://www.3geez.com/forum/newbie-introductions/78326-finally-back-into-3rd-gen-ohio.html#post1117515 be purchased? Exactly what are they called? How difficult is installation? What are the advantages over the stock air intake? Are there any disadvantages, such as negative impact on fuel economy?

RAZR
02-17-2013, 01:20 PM
Thats called a Weapon R short ram intake. very expensive and not worth the money. You can get a 84-87 prelude intake and it will fit perfectly and its 30 or so dollars. The advantages in these car is it adds quiet alot of pep to the motor. Our stock intake are very restrictive and this helps out alot.

Very easy to install.
No impact on fuel economy other than you can hear your enigne rev more now and youll be putting you foot to the floor more. :lol:

derolph
02-17-2013, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the info. However, I believe a 84-87 prelude intake may be hard to find. I just eBay. They have plenty of Prelude air intakes from/for newer models but nothing going back to 84-87.

RAZR
02-17-2013, 02:49 PM
Well one should pop up sooner or later. Since you have a 88-89 accord you could buy a universal intake from autozone. Its super easy to install

derolph
02-17-2013, 03:35 PM
OK, thanks for that tip. The nearest Autozone is just a 20-25 minutes drive away. And, Advance Auto Parts has a local store just a few minutes away. I just did a search on their site for air intakes and saw a slew of them listed. Don't know how I'd choose; that step may take some time. But at least, now I know I've got numerous options if I want to pursue this modification.

Coop
02-17-2013, 10:41 PM
I have a 1987 honda accord lxi, all I did was cut the stock intake before the split and put on a spectre air filter and deleted the stock air filter. Looks, fits, and works just as well as an expensive aftermarket but only 30 bucks!!!

ghettogeddy
02-17-2013, 11:15 PM
i just got one from oreilly auto parts
Speed by Spectre 8219 - Air Intake Kit | O'Reilly Auto Parts (http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/SPT0/8219.oap?year=1987&make=Honda&model=Accord&vi=1166903&ck=Search_8219_1166903_3485&keyword=8219)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/ghettogeddy/IMG_20130217_230342_zps6e5c6881.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/ghettogeddy/IMG_20130217_230402_zps2c2881b4.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/ghettogeddy/IMG_20130217_230413_zpsf4b0d051.jpg

derolph
02-18-2013, 08:34 AM
Thanks guys. Spectre looks like a good brand; I read a very interesting paragraph on Manufacturer Information on the Spectre page in the link you posted.

bscanlan
02-18-2013, 08:44 AM
Since I am the one who spent too much on the intake, I feel that I should chime in. The Weapon R that I chose is great quality and does the job, but yes, costs almost $200. It is however very shiny and I was drawn in like a bug to a bug zapper :nuts::nuts: The others that have been recommended will work too. Just decide the look you want and try to get some dimensions so you know where that (sometimes large) filter will sit. The brake lines near the strut tower, battery, and upper radiator hose all can get in the way depending on the length and angle of the tubing. Have fun with it and remember to find a shiny one!

derolph
02-18-2013, 11:53 AM
Just decide the look you want and try to get some dimensions so you know where that (sometimes large) filter will sit. The brake lines near the strut tower, battery, and upper radiator hose all can get in the way depending on the length and angle of the tubing. Thanks for the tips. Good points to know.

NXRacer
02-18-2013, 05:33 PM
Use a 90-93 accord cold air intake. Thats what I've been using on mine for years. I cut a hole in the fender by the battery to fit the larger pipe down into the bumper for a true CAI. I think I paid 30 bucks for mine on ebay.

Doward
06-25-2013, 07:10 PM
NXRacer, can you post a pic or three?

ADSA20
11-14-2013, 04:42 AM
Ha, who says newbs can't use search tools? :lol:

Thats called a Weapon R short ram intake. very expensive and not worth the money.

Seriously though, I've got one of these Weapon R on my shopping list.. Really? Not worth the $$ ? Better off just buying a cheaper one? Not sure about the stores you guys mention, but here in oz we have Repco, Autobahn or Supercheap Auto. They have cheaper ones which i assume are universal. Seems to be a whole heap of different answers on this subject.

niles
11-19-2013, 12:28 PM
I used the build-an-intake parts made by Spectre (Autozone) for a while, it worked but it was just plastic and felt cheesy. Now I am running an intake I made out of PCV pipe down though my fender and love it!

I see the allure of the Weapon R and all it's flash, but remember this is just a tube for your engine to suck in air. To me that does not warrant the $200 price tag.

ADSA20
11-23-2013, 03:09 AM
It looks flash yes, and i heard good things about it but yes it's also a lot of money. I've searched through here and read quite a few posts on this subject, i'm thinking i'll build my own too... Just unsure on a couple of things

You've got an 87, you'd have obviously overcome these issues? I've figured out I'll need a breather when i disconnect the pipe from the valve cover, but there is another pipe in there i'm not too sure about and then there's the vacuum hoses running into the box. Once i take the box out where do they go?

Edit: Yes, i am aware there are pictures in this post which are helpful but it's difficult to compare to see which hose has come from where. I've never attempted one of these either !

Thanks

niles
11-23-2013, 05:04 PM
You've got an 87, you'd have obviously overcome these issues? I've figured out I'll need a breather when i disconnect the pipe from the valve cover, but there is another pipe in there i'm not too sure about and then there's the vacuum hoses running into the box. Once i take the box out where do they go?

Edit: Yes, i am aware there are pictures in this post which are helpful but it's difficult to compare to see which hose has come from where. I've never attempted one of these either !

Thanks

The vacuum lines will need to be plugged back in to the new intake. Most intakes you buy will have them on it (shown capped off in the previous pictures), if you build one you will need to make a spot for them to plug in.

I still have my valve cover vent plugged into my intake. The vacuum from the intake helps pull oil up into the valves and vent fumes from the oil.

If you're real gung-ho about removing the vacuum lines entirely, you can use the shop manual to find out what all the lines are for and reroute/remove them. I like them though, they help my car run smooth :)

ADSA20
11-24-2013, 03:50 AM
The vacuum lines will need to be plugged back in to the new intake. Most intakes you buy will have them on it (shown capped off in the previous pictures), if you build one you will need to make a spot for them to plug in.

I still have my valve cover vent plugged into my intake. The vacuum from the intake helps pull oil up into the valves and vent fumes from the oil.

If you're real gung-ho about removing the vacuum lines entirely, you can use the shop manual to find out what all the lines are for and reroute/remove them. I like them though, they help my car run smooth :)

Thank you very much for the reply. Yes, i defiantly want to keep the vacuum lines working as intended, i had terrible issues related to that when i first got the car. I read other posts here but a lot were regarding other models, some who apparently don't have the same hoses/lines. I think i'll give the weapon r a miss and just build my own, i like your PCV pipe idea. Drilling holes and feeding the lines back into the intake will be easy..

These were the holes you spoke about i assume.

Oh, i also like your theory with the valve cover vent. You've set me on the right path and given me some great ideas.. Thanks! :)

niles
11-24-2013, 09:59 PM
you are correct. glad i could help

Phatman
11-25-2013, 09:34 PM
Any clearance issues with the filter? My Accord had a hacked up pipe with a filter on it that ended up getting smashed into the prop valve for the brakes and punching a big hole in it.

niles
11-26-2013, 07:34 AM
Any clearance issues with the filter? My Accord had a hacked up pipe with a filter on it that ended up getting smashed into the prop valve for the brakes and punching a big hole in it.

That happened to me too when I had my filter there. K&N filters come in a wide range of sizes that might help avoid that. I eventually routed my filter down to inside the fender for cooler air and more protection.

Phatman
11-26-2013, 05:27 PM
Cool. I'll have to test fit then. Hopefully Autozone won't mind. xD

niles
11-27-2013, 07:36 AM
Once you know what size you want, I got my K&N off amazon for $20 no joke.

Johnshatch
12-24-2013, 10:48 PM
Ive got one from an integra

firefighterwhite89
12-29-2013, 07:24 AM
I used a 2 1/4 inch exhaust piping for my intake. Involved alittle welding though. None the less, those plumbing rubber pipe adapters work perfect too. And they're cheap. Cheaper than sillycone. Lol

Sent from my SPH-M840 using Tapatalk