PDA

View Full Version : MP3 machine

86accord4dr
10-26-2002, 10:53 PM
Hey guys.

I just got a cheap ass Toshiba laptop from some retarded farmer who thought he had a virus (but just corrupted win95 somehow) so i reinstalled with 98 and she's purring. I want to throw it in my 86 as an MP3 machine. Just wondering if you've heard of anyone doing this and what's the best way. I'm thinking of keeping my sony deck for the time when i have a cd that i just bought or something and have a switch that controls which speakers are active (kinda like the displays in the store)

Should I just get a cheap amp to run the 6x9's and the doors and use the other amp for the 12? or is there a better way.

Lemme know what you think.:werd:

winkie45
10-27-2002, 12:02 AM
or you could just sell your sony deck and buy an in-dash mp3 player. or sell the laptop...

KaMiKaZeE
10-27-2002, 12:12 AM
I have thought of this but not with a laptop, using innards of a desktop pc instead. Anyway, I wouldn't think about dismantling the lid(screen) to put in yer dash or anything, too many thin wires to break. But if you can find a place for it and hook it to your head unit then go for it. I would just let it ride in the passenger seat when going and then just unplug and take it inside to load more mp3's for next time. Also if yer head unit doesn't have inputs check into an FM transmitter. That would be even easier!:D

86accord4dr
10-27-2002, 09:10 AM
yeah kamakazee i thought about mounting the screen at one point but then again on my car it's just heating vents, heating controls and stereo there... so no i'm not gonna do that. i was thinking of making a bracket that would sit over the E-break. kinda a tray so my passenger didn't need to hold my puter when driving :/

i have an Infrared port on my laptop. but i don't think that's gonna be faster than the LAN. What im really asking tho is what kind of amp should i get to run the door and rear speakers. i only need like a little 90 watter or something right?

86accord4dr
10-27-2002, 09:14 AM
oh and winkie i'm not just buying a mp3 deck cuz they're like $350 CDN. my laptop with ethernet card, cables and leather case only cost me $100. and the sony deck i have in there now is probably a 98 model so it's not worth anything

KaMiKaZeE
10-27-2002, 09:15 AM
Why do you need an amp at all? isn't your head unit fine? most are around 180-220w?

86accord4dr
10-27-2002, 06:29 PM
i don't have inputs on my deck man...

like i said it's from 98 and it's sony... :( also i was wondering what's the best way to power my laptop while in the car. my battery's shot on the thing (another reason i got it for so cheap)

i know canadian tire sells those DC to AC converters... would that work or would it strain my alternator...

maybe he said it best when he told me to get an MP3 deck

sorry to bug you guys

dXsquared
10-27-2002, 06:35 PM
use an FM transmitter... they are like 30 bux at radioshak. if u have those in Regina... they plug into the earphone/speaker port and go thru ur radio... i used this method b4 i had a burner! it is cool tho... get a powerinverter and plug the thing in and use it perminetly with out the battery power!

Travis

86accord4dr
10-28-2002, 08:14 PM
thanks travis... you rule dude..

and yes we have a radio shack in regina.. we're getting a dairy queen next summer i hope... and then no more going to saskatoon for burgers. :/

JSid7
10-30-2002, 06:45 AM
i had a labtop in my hatch for a lil while... i used a power inverter to hook it up... but i just watched dvds on it.. haha

netfreak
10-30-2002, 12:41 PM
http://car.preterhuman.net/pics/laptop1.jpg

Go with the inverter too. If you were really nutty, you could get some sort of metal bracket to bolt onto your dash or something and allow the laptop to swing around in the passenger area so you can see it. Radio Shack also sells 150W inverters for $49 but go to canadian tire and get the 175W for $39.. hasn't given me any problems so far

bobafett
10-30-2002, 02:17 PM
www.mp3car.com look no further

my favorite example was the mp3 cube example done with a white eclipse... :)

86accord4dr
11-02-2002, 11:49 AM
man you guys rock! mp3car.com is sweet. i sound like some stupid lamer i know but i'm just so excited.

i like what you did there netfreak. (if that is your ride) but i just thought of a better way.

i don't have my dig cam anymore but i'll try to describe it and you tell me what you think

under the ashtray and in front of the automatic shift console there's just enough space to fit my LCD screen from the laptop that will power this. I could just remove the screen, get a touch pad for the mouse (the little ones you buy separate) mount that on the dash or even on the console and BAM! there's my install... if you guys NEED pics i'm sure i can photoshop something up.

but let me know what u think. net's install looked cool but i don't like having to look so far over the passenger (also my screen isn't the best coming from an old P1 :P

dXsquared
11-02-2002, 12:04 PM
dont remove the screen!!!!!!! to hard to do..... u will regret it! just keep it in the pasenger seat. or mount it on the dash near the clock... suspend a platform off the dash so u can still use ur heat and shit and then just lift the lap top of the shelf and take it inside..... it will obstruct ur veiw a bit... but u could mount it some other way lower! just dont take the screen off. maybe take out the switch that turns it off when you lower the lid then you could just close the lid when driving?!?

Travis

86accord4dr
11-02-2002, 08:32 PM
man really... is it that hard to remove the screen? cuz it would work so good down there. i really don't want it to be on my dash cuz that just doesn't work for me (kinda live in the 'hood)

i just wish there were more 3geez on mp3car.com then i'd get some other ideas

dXsquared
11-03-2002, 08:51 AM
i sugest that u keep it together... it will be easier... and use an FM transmitter thing...

Travis
PS did u find an FM thing? radio shak here has them and they say MP3 right on them... so look out for those

bobafett
11-03-2002, 03:50 PM
you "can" buy lcd screens with a cable that hooks up to a certain type of video card, i think that is what you are looking for. the thing is, i can almost garantee that no laptop will have that hookup, unless you want to solder in manually (== bitch)

try looking at www.coolcasegallery.net and look for briefcase computers. there is one guy who had his laptop screen removed, and mounted to a breifecase for a LAN pc!! i will dig for it...

89AccordNate
11-04-2002, 02:10 PM
FM Modulators suck, I have one from radio shack and it is terrible. Its been sliding around in my trunk for months now. The sound quality is no where near as powerful that you need/want. You would be better off with an Aux input/output on your cd-player. I bought an new cd player just for the use of an aux in/output to run my roof mounted 7" lcd and dreamcast system through my speakers.

Nate.

86accord4dr
11-04-2002, 07:48 PM
yeah nate sounds sweet but the thing is i already have what i have. i'm tying to make what i have work y'know.

so for the ppl who are using the FM modulator from a scale of 1-10 how is it? I still think the best option is to run a little amp for the 6X9's right off the soundcard. that way i don't have to get rid of my deck (it's old but pretty decent) and i don't have to buy a modulator

i'll probably be doing some of this shit towards the end of the year. i'll write up a "how to" if it works. but i'm still taking suggestions

netfreak
11-04-2002, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by 86accord4dr
i like what you did there netfreak. (if that is your ride) but i just thought of a better way.

yup that's my ride. I removed the laptop last week because I may end up putting in a better laptop and/or cutting into the dash to better fit it in. I may even get some swivel mount but I'm also even thinking of getting a smaller LCD for ceiling mount or something (and then securing the laptop somewhere).