PDA

View Full Version : Volvo's - easier than hondas

NXRacer
02-21-2013, 03:51 PM
My other ride is a 2002 Volvo V70 Cross Country. Lately I've been trying to figure out what this problem I've had with vibrations under power. Lately its gotten pretty bad. I've spent almost $3k trying to diagnose various problems as well as fixing worn out parts. A mechanic has been doing most of the work because I didn't have the time to do most of it myself. I finally got so tired of my mechanic not being able to diagnose my vibration problem and I had read around on various Volvo forums that people had experienced the exact problem I had and fixed it with new axles. I bought new axles and today I replaced the passenger side. Took me about 2 hrs on inconsistent work. It only requires removing 3 bolts and loosening a 4th.

Needless to say I was expecting a FAR more difficult task than it was. Now I'm waiting to get the other side shipped to me so I can do it.

BTW just replacing the passenger side axle fixed 99.9% of the vibration. I could probably get away with not doing the driver side, but I already bought it and its on its way and as easy as it was to do why not do both sides?

2oodoor
02-21-2013, 04:28 PM
You knew the car forums rule!
There are services like Identifix and iATN are used by reputable shops as a networking tool for issues commom and not so common for all makes. Those are by paid subscription though so yeah forums rule lol

ghettogeddy
02-21-2013, 04:31 PM
I just bought a 2000 v70 non turbo such a great car.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Legend_master
02-21-2013, 04:36 PM
Are those 2 piece axles? Sometimes I wish Honda had some 2 piece axles, they make life easier lol.

NXRacer
02-21-2013, 05:25 PM
You knew the car forums rule!
There are services like Identifix and iATN are used by reputable shops as a networking tool for issues commom and not so common for all makes. Those are by paid subscription though so yeah forums rule lol

Forums always save my butt!

I just bought a 2000 v70 non turbo such a great car.

Mine is pretty well fully loaded. I was considering trying to sell it with so many problems I was having, but now I'm pretty sure they're all fixed and I can actually start enjoying it.

Are those 2 piece axles? Sometimes I wish Honda had some 2 piece axles, they make life easier lol.

They're one piece. The passenger side isn't even held in with a clip in the trans. I'm not sure if that's the best way to do it but it sure makes for easy removal. :thumbup:

ghettogeddy
02-21-2013, 06:03 PM
so is mine all leather power everything sun roof dual climate controls the works.

Dr_Snooz
02-22-2013, 09:05 PM
Great sleuthing! And also another confirmation of the golden rule: always do your own work. :)

87accordlxi
02-23-2013, 07:30 AM
Sounds like a similar issue with my Saab. Intermittent vibration in the steering wheel at highway speeds. Sometimes it's very noticeable, sometimes its nonexistent. I can't really tie it to the throttle though.

If it's not unbalanced tires, then I'm thinking axles, inner tie rods, struts or wheel bearings.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk

stat1K
02-23-2013, 01:28 PM
problems like this really make me hate knowing about cars. I got into a friends car to move it one day and it was almost falling apart (or so it felt) just moving it across the parking lot. I mentioned it to him and he had never even noticed a problem. I guess it's cheaper to just drive it til it falls apart and get a new one lol...

NXRacer
02-23-2013, 04:33 PM
Sounds like a similar issue with my Saab. Intermittent vibration in the steering wheel at highway speeds. Sometimes it's very noticeable, sometimes its nonexistent. I can't really tie it to the throttle though.

If it's not unbalanced tires, then I'm thinking axles, inner tie rods, struts or wheel bearings.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk

Funny thing, as serious as the vibration was at times I didn't feel any vibration in my steering wheel. It was only felt in the car itself. And it was only when I was pressing on the throttle regardless of speed.

I'd lean more toward your problem being a bad tire, unbalaced wheel, tie rod ends or some bad bushings.

POS carb
02-26-2013, 03:28 PM
my 3gee did this

one of my friends had a 2001 s60 t5, what a badass car
fast, comfortable, and the best sounding factory sound system I have ever heard

I had some Volvo seats in the 3gee for a long time