PDA

View Full Version : picture request from anybody with a 5spd

NXRacer
02-25-2013, 12:13 PM
My clutch pedal has been kind of sticky and I'm thinking the return spring is at fault. Can I get somebody with a 5spd to post up pictures of their pedal assembly to see if I have the spring right? I can't figure out why my pedal would hesitate to come off the floor board.

Legend_master
02-25-2013, 03:26 PM
My clutch pedal has been kind of sticky and I'm thinking the return spring is at fault. Can I get somebody with a 5spd to post up pictures of their pedal assembly to see if I have the spring right? I can't figure out why my pedal would hesitate to come off the floor board.

There are a couple clear diagrams in the shop manual under transmission>clutch. There is a pedal diagram, and a nice shot on the complete clutch system diagram. I'd post the pics, but Photobucket always makes the shop manual pics difficult to see.

NXRacer
02-25-2013, 04:02 PM
Alright. I'll check there and see if it helps.

2oodoor
02-25-2013, 04:14 PM
http://3geez.com/uploads/images/clutchassy.jpg

2oodoor
02-25-2013, 04:30 PM
http://3geez.com/uploads/images/clutchpeda.jpg

Legend_master
02-25-2013, 04:51 PM
That last one does not show the spring. Which manual is that from?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/Legend_Master/27E99AFE-BEB2-4EF3-A749-C7F7ECBF2B7E-424-000000309E9BC44B_zpsbdd01f1c.jpg

2oodoor
02-26-2013, 03:02 AM
The one in your sig !
I was going to ask what page but I only had a few min left after 15 min of boot time on my laptop, can't move files with ipod Or I don't know how to anyway.

Legend_master
02-26-2013, 08:47 AM
The one I pulled from is the 89 specific, I wonder when the design changed. A little note on the iPod, you can actually get photobucket for the iPhone, just screen shot the page and upload.

Larrenj80
02-26-2013, 10:03 PM
I had the same problem a while back. Pedal sticking to the floor. It was a bad clutch cable for me. Old dried out grease (or none at all) means the pressure plate can't pull the cable back through the sleeve. If that's it, it's a quick fix and fairly inexpensive.

Dr_Snooz
02-27-2013, 09:20 PM
The clutch forks are also known to fail.

NXRacer
03-06-2013, 04:57 PM
Hmmm, those are helpful pictures, but now I'm not sure what my problem is. I need something like this

because this has a hard time returning the pedal. I thought the spring highlighted below might have been installed wrong on my car, but according to this diagram its correct.

2oodoor
03-06-2013, 05:34 PM
Is the pedal on these spring loaded (so to speak) like if the cable was not connected would the pedal return?

Larrenj80
03-06-2013, 05:43 PM
Yes, there is a return spring. So if the spring is hooked up there would have to be something else keeping it from returning. The cable would be easy to check. Just loosen it on the transmission side and remove it. Then step on the pedal. There should be almost no resistance.

Dr_Snooz
03-06-2013, 08:08 PM
The clutch forks are also known to fail.

NXRacer
03-07-2013, 12:29 AM
Might be clutch fork. I think its a return spring though. There was almost no resistance when the cable was off the transmission and it wouldn't return when pressed to the floor.

A18A
03-07-2013, 12:39 AM
if the clutch cable isn't connected, the pedal isn't supposed to return by itself when you press it to the floor. the spring that you circled in the 2nd pic is what causes it to stay on the floor. i think that spring is there to assist you when pressing the clutch pedal

Legend_master
03-07-2013, 08:47 AM
if the clutch cable isn't connected, the pedal isn't supposed to return by itself when you press it to the floor. the spring that you circled in the 2nd pic is what causes it to stay on the floor. i think that spring is there to assist you when pressing the clutch pedal

That's how mine works. If the cable is disconnected, the pedals stays on the floor.

Larrenj80
03-07-2013, 02:05 PM
Yes, but you should be able to pull the cable by hand and pull the pedal up. If you can't pull the cable through by hand then you could have a nasty gunked (very technical term) up cable. Causing enough friction to prevent the pedal returning. The pressure plate does most of the work returning the pedal, but even that can be overcome by a bad cable. ( I know this from experience). This doesn't rule out a bad clutch fork. However if you can rule out the cable and the pedal spring( I think this is mostly to keep the pedal all the way up not really for pulling the pedal up from the pressed position) then it points that direction (to the clutch fork).

NXRacer
03-07-2013, 09:36 PM
Thanks for all the input guys! Lots of good stuff here. I think I'll start with the cable. I've already had my suspicions. Now that its likely interfering with mah shifting I gotta fix it stat.

Dr_Snooz
03-08-2013, 07:16 PM
I only say this because we've had at least two threads in the past where the poster complains about a sticky clutch and then posts a couple days later to say that the clutch fork has broken.

firefighterwhite89
03-10-2013, 02:29 AM
can anyone post a picture of the clutch fork, or even better, a shop manual pictre of a clutch fork?
that'd be grand...OR, could everyone be calling the release fork a clutch fork? Cause there's no clutch fork mentioned anywhere in any of my manuals...but there's a release fork that seems to match that description...

Dr_Snooz
03-10-2013, 02:54 PM
Yes, it's the release fork.

firefighterwhite89
03-10-2013, 06:06 PM
I believe i may have figured out the issue as to why the pedal is so hard to push and it still lightly pulls after you completely stop, clutch pedal all the way in while in first gear and it's so hard to shift into gears. I took my transmission off today, and man did it get uber messy. Noticed my release arm on the outside of the current transmission was rubbing the side of the housing about 75% of the way depressed and up. Then i came to notice that the rod the fork is attatched to had about 3/4" of play pulling the arm inwards and outwards. And when the arm is depressed, the fork goes completely towards the front of the car as it rubs against the side of the housing instead of staying perfectly centered.

My old transmission's release fork, spring, arm and rod seem completely perfect when the arm is depressed and has maybe 1/8" of play in the rod, not to mention, the fork seems to be closer together rather than bent out.

Pressure plate looked great, throwout bearing fine even though it sounded like it had just alittle grit in it when spun. I'm hoping this is my problem. Anyone know how to remove the Arm, Rod, Clutch release fork and spring?

Dr_Snooz
03-11-2013, 07:40 PM
Told you.

;)