PDA

View Full Version : How I spent my day at work

Vanilla Sky
02-27-2013, 06:50 PM
So, I think today is the worst lucky day I've ever had in my life. I mowed over my phone and it still works, and I flipped a commercial ZTR down a 5 foot wall, with me still on it. That was fun. Peppy told me to do a barrel roll (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIx1NCvb5TU), so I did. Kinda.

http://runningmile.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/barrel_roll.gif

No pics of the carnage of the lawn mower crash (really, not bad, commercial mowers are meant to take serious abuse) because seriously not 15 minutes earlier, I had dropped the phone out of my pocket and ran over it with the lawn mower. Didn't notice it until the next pass.

Pics:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/528445_565354920148834_1919118950_n.jpg

Video of it still working (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=565356726815320&set=vb.100000229930856 &type=3)

So, even though I mowed over my phone, less than $30 will fix it up right and give me a custom paint scheme while I'm at it. No major injuries on the lawn mower, just a bit sore. I'm keeping an eye on it and have a followup appointment in a week. I should be fine, I've survived worse on just Advil.

Oh, that's a GS3, BTW. I love it, or I wouldn't be rebuilding it.

Legend_master
02-27-2013, 06:57 PM
Glad your ok. Not sure how your getting that phone repaired so cheap? Are you ordering the parts, cause you have to get the glass with the LCD attached to it. Plus I believe on the s3 model there are a few sensors answered to the front as well. My personal business is repairing phone, and I avoid the galaxy for that reason.

Legend_master
02-27-2013, 07:02 PM
Samsung Galaxy S III Teardown - iFixit (http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Samsung+Galaxy+S+III+Teardown/9391/1)

Vanilla Sky
02-27-2013, 07:02 PM
Nope, nothing fancy on the S3. I just need the front glass, which I have from a previous drop that I haven't repaired, the bezel, the chassis and the back. These phones seem to be built fairly smartly.

Vanilla Sky
02-27-2013, 07:04 PM
That amount also didn't count the front glass, since I already have it. Obviously, I'd be replacing it if I didn't have it laying around.

Did you check the video of how janky it is, but how well it still works? Crazy stuff there. Must be made out of what Nokias are made out of.

Legend_master
02-27-2013, 07:13 PM
Read step #11 the glass is actually adhered to the LCD. You can't replace just the glass by itself. Its pretty much done that way to keep dust from getting between the glass & LCD. Maybe your repair facility has a trick, but I have not figured it out yet lol.

Vanilla Sky
02-27-2013, 07:18 PM
Heat gun. Plenty of videos on YouTube. I'm talking real dumbasses are able to pull it off successfully, so I should be able to.

Vanilla Sky
02-27-2013, 07:20 PM
And for what it's worth, I've done reflow work on cell phones and tablets, so it's nothing too out of the ordinary for me, either.

Vanilla Sky
02-27-2013, 07:23 PM
I also love how I failed a barrel roll on a lawn mower and we're talking cell phones :p I coulda been killed!

Legend_master
02-27-2013, 07:27 PM
I also love how I failed a barrel roll on a lawn mower and we're talking cell phones :p I coulda been killed!

Well your able to type, and seem coherent so the phone looks like it got more damage lol.

Dr_Snooz
02-27-2013, 08:45 PM
I guess a "commercial ztr" is a riding mower then? Yikes. Be careful and glad you're okay.

Vanilla Sky
02-28-2013, 02:22 PM
Yeah. Big mower. Think Bobcat sized without the safety cage and you've pretty much got it.

For some reason, they won't let me do the lawn anymore at the hotel. Now they're going to outsource it and let another business's worker's comp pay for when the next barrel roll happens.

2oodoor
02-28-2013, 02:52 PM
Geez Im glad you're ok, that must have been after you sent me a text yesterday... I thought you were ignoring me.
So they going to sell you the mower now? Lol

Vanilla Sky
02-28-2013, 04:47 PM
Yeah, I sent the text before. I know that I have the texts, glass shards tend to not feel comfortable to rub your finger over, though. I'm using email and facebook the most right now. Voicemails get sent to my gmail using Google Voice, so while I'm getting them, I can't return them until I have another phone available. Parts are from China (probably knockoff stuff, but I've never had problems with this kind of stuff before), so they will take a while to come in. I don't mind, I'm connected well enough other ways that I very seldom use my phone to talk to people. It's actually nice.

JdmCA9
03-13-2013, 03:47 PM
what a day

Legend_master
03-13-2013, 05:15 PM
what a day

Holy giant sig batman!

2oodoor
03-22-2013, 03:21 PM
Im not working though..
Hey anybody work in the pizza biz? How is it

Dr_Snooz
03-26-2013, 08:16 PM
You talking about being a delivery driver? It's real hard on the car. Don't use a car you want to keep. Other than that it's mellow.

2oodoor
03-27-2013, 02:43 AM
You talking about being a delivery driver? It's real hard on the car. Don't use a car you want to keep. Other than that it's mellow.
Starting out as a driver yes but I want to experience the food business. I used to hit the yard sale thing (for resell) pretty hard before electronics got so cheep, so I understand how hard it can be on a car. I would eventually have to stop if it gets too bad I guess.

Vanilla Sky
03-27-2013, 02:33 PM
Vintage electronics still command high prices. I've cleaned up at a few sales by looking closer at that rack of grimy stereo crap in the corner. A $2 purchase paid for our honeymoon.

2oodoor
03-27-2013, 03:23 PM
Oh yeah definatley those! Ive sold so many units I would have loved to keep but it's business. I still have a marantz amp head thats very usefull but sold off most of what I did cling to lol.
I used to get vcr players, tape decks, weed eaters, mowers and repair them but that ship sailed.
Lol I do still have a few containers of cb stuff and 8 tracks im hoarding...it's funny too I just bought a brand new in box 8 track under dash unit at the flea market a couple months ago. Somebody will want that for their ratrod!

Vanilla Sky
03-28-2013, 09:40 AM
Guy, you ever go picking? Just show up at some guy's place and ask what he has for sale? I have guys over every once in a while, and I'll sell stuff to them. I'm a hoarder, what can I say?

2oodoor
03-28-2013, 10:02 AM
I have the picker gene.
I know I have a problem so I try to drive on past. :)
I've hauled truckload after another of stuff away from here and it still keeps pushing out of closets and corners! I don't understand where it keeps coming from. I know that Im bad about just rearranging the stuff and moving it around to guve the illusion everything is normal lol

2ndGenGuy
03-28-2013, 11:16 AM
Wait, when you say you go picking, who are you asking to get stuff from? You just go up to some guy's house and ask if they're selling anything?

I love hitting up Goodwill, WA State Surplus, thrift stores, garage sales, wrecking yards. Sucks that Goodwill puts up all the good stuff on the internet now and auctions it off. Just learned that recently, and that's why their electronics section just ain't what it used to be.

I just picked up a 70's car alarm in the surplus section of an electronics store, brand new in box. Uses a key to arm and disarm it, and you drill holes in the door jambs and install switches. I assume you're supposed to hide the key hole somewhere under a fender or something.

2oodoor
04-01-2013, 03:08 PM
Wait, when you say you go picking, who are you asking to get stuff from? You just go up to some guy's house and ask if they're selling anything?

I love hitting up Goodwill, WA State Surplus, thrift stores, garage sales, wrecking yards. Sucks that Goodwill puts up all the good stuff on the internet now and auctions it off. Just learned that recently, and that's why their electronics section just ain't what it used to be.

I just picked up a 70's car alarm in the surplus section of an electronics store, brand new in box. Uses a key to arm and disarm it, and you drill holes in the door jambs and install switches. I assume you're supposed to hide the key hole somewhere under a fender or something.
No you mount it on the fender, about level with the upper door hinge . 70's corvettes usd to have those factory.
The visible part acted as a warning not to gently caress with the car lol

Dr_Snooz
04-01-2013, 05:54 PM
I remember seeing Vettes with those keyholes back in the day. I'd never heard of a car alarm and couldn't figure out why you'd need a key to the fender. LOL

2oodoor
04-02-2013, 02:47 AM

I interviewed but have heard nothing. I felt ridiculous in a way as stating all of my experience is contrary to the job and way higher pay scale.