PDA

View Full Version : New to Hondas, would a d16 crx hf motor and tranny fit?

Ls2 dude
02-27-2013, 08:31 PM
Hi everyone. I proudly own an 89 accord Lxi it's been a good car as long as if had it but is a bit tired and has been running on 3 cyl for quite some time now. It has a burnt exhaust valve in the number one cylinder. Long story short. I'm wondering if its possible to swap a 1.5 or any other smaller disp engine to achievehgiher mpg out of the car. I make 500 mi round trips every weekend with it and it still gets 29 on the highway. Iv recently discover the crx hf which seems to get retarded mileage but i already own this car im just wondering if its possible. The car I own is auto and has almost190k on it now.

And as a secondary question does anyone know where I can get a cheap a20 head and a 5 speed accord tranny and swap parts?

Legend_master
02-27-2013, 10:08 PM
Imagine what kind of mileage you would obtain with all 4 cylinders running? As far as the swap, its not gonna be a drop in process. You will need custom mount, special axles, custom harness, and custom shift linkage. If you planned on using AC or powersteering you would also need to figure out a rout for that. Plus those motors are completely lacking in TQ. Get that engine fixed, get a tune up, and swap that 5 speed, and you should have a nice 32mpg ride.

Ls2 dude
02-28-2013, 04:04 AM
Yeah I've been debating that. Is it worth the cost vs mpg gain over the time I plan to keep the vehicle which is as long as I can of course
I guess my next question is where can I obtain a 5 speed for it. Most of the yards where I live are all dried up fr the older ones.

2oodoor
02-28-2013, 04:20 AM
Just do a head job and call it done? D series are not.... Nevermind
I get 32 mpg hwy in my bone stock ( except the 15 in steelies) automatic hatch and it isn't all that healthy either. I have the tv cable set so it stays in overdrive at 60 + mph

Dr_Snooz
02-28-2013, 07:40 PM
I've had good luck with the transmission I got from mantrans.com. The other parts will have to come from the yard, so keep an eye out and ask around here occasionally. Good luck.

Ls2 dude
03-14-2013, 07:53 AM
Will do and thank you

Phatman
03-16-2013, 07:12 AM
Stick with the motor you have man. I've got an 88 and I know how hard some parts are to come by. Regardless, I can get 35 MPG on the freeway with mine and between 25-30 in town depending on my mood behind the wheel. :P

I've thought of doing an h-series swap, but the same thing goes for those as well. Too much work. o.O

Vanilla Sky
03-16-2013, 05:41 PM
A big engine spinning at a low RPM gets damned good fuel economy. Build your engine for torque (which pretty much means to keep everything stock in your case), and short shift. Buzo is aiming for something like 50MPG in his car, and I think he's aiming too low.