PDA

View Full Version : Automatic transmission leak from end cover

anubix
02-28-2013, 09:12 PM
Helo!
Tonite I have an 89 SEi automatic that is leaking tons of tranny fluid from the end cover while under load.
It is leaking from the 2 bolts facing the camera (that have fluid around the base of the bolt head)

The factory manual gives almost no info on these bolts other than calling it a "sealing bolt" and they have an o-ring and "seal washer" and hold in a spring and steel ball.
Also the factory illustration only shows 1 bolt... but there appear to be 3 in total (1 more in addition to the 2 which are leaking)

1) Can i remove the end cover without removing the trans from the car? (I could do this with my manual trans)

2) Can i just take these bolts out of the end cover while its still in the car and replace whatever washer/o-ring is apparently failing and still expect to put it right back together?

Thanks!

p.s. I hate automatics

Legend_master
03-01-2013, 12:17 AM
According to this test you can remove those no problem.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/Legend_Master/CC7E136C-5120-41BC-B98A-B019C37EDA9B-6053-000001A1905B4B57_zpsc0215b5f.jpg

Looking at the exploded view, there may be some extra parts with the top bolt. Just replace the washers, that's where I would start.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/Legend_Master/4B688606-6299-4C36-87A5-60107C38115D-6053-0000019EE1F13DDC_zpsa65d16ca.jpg

Dr_Snooz
03-01-2013, 10:30 AM
Super easy repair. Pull the bolts, wipe off all the oil real well. Smear the washers with RTV sealant on both sides and re-install the bolts. The manual says to replace the washers, but the parts store won't know what they are and the dealer will charge you ~$1.35 per washer. The RTV works very well and is nearly free if you have a tube sitting around. Those are aluminum threads, so don't over-torque them (13 ft-lbs). Since the bolts are on the bottom, you might want to drain the fluid first.

The real question is why did they start leaking in the first place.

Legend_master
03-01-2013, 10:55 AM
Super easy repair. Pull the bolts, wipe off all the oil real well. Smear the washers with RTV sealant on both sides and re-install the bolts. The manual says to replace the washers, but the parts store won't know what they are and the dealer will charge you ~$1.35 per washer. The RTV works very well and is nearly free if you have a tube sitting around. Those are aluminum threads, so don't over-torque them (13 ft-lbs). Since the bolts are on the bottom, you might want to drain the fluid first.

The real question is why did they start leaking in the first place.

It could just be metal fatigue, I've actually had the washers on my brake calipers start leaking (on a 3gee with original brakes).

anubix
03-01-2013, 11:41 AM
The car has 203k on it.
I bought it in downtown Hollywood (hollywood blvd) off craigslist (4/2012) for $400 with a blown head gasket & bad overheat. Car was going to scrap.
Replaced headgasket, valve job & plane on head & full engine gasket kit.
I don't do automatics: but the fluid i drained out before i pulled the engine was pristine & clean.
This car had the lowest emmisions test result i have EVER seen a 3g produce. And i've had alot of 3gs over the years (no autos).

I hope its metal fatigue.
If I remember correctly when I reinstalled the tranny there was a tiny bit of residue around the heads of these bolts but nothing that peaked my concern as a major leak.

Called Honda: they do not have them in stock, and no other dealer within a 1hr drive has them either.
I am going to borrow my buddy's copper washer assortment and see what he's got.

The originals are aluminum, so copper will do nicely being slightly softer, and it is also compatible with ATF so hopefully it will be smooth sailing.

Going to attempt the repair at lunch and see what happens.

Thanks for your input.

p.s. Did I mention I hate automatics?

2oodoor
03-01-2013, 01:36 PM
I'm not a fan of RTV around automatics, just don't use it anywhere even a tiny tiny bit could make it's way into the valving or valve body

AccordB20A
03-01-2013, 06:57 PM
just chuck another alloy crush type washer on it and it will go away