PDA

View Full Version : ugly cars!!

bruce.j89
03-03-2013, 01:02 PM
What document think is the ugliest car ever mine has to be the Chevy Malibu hatch or the Toyota fj

bruce.j89
03-03-2013, 01:04 PM
Wow stupid auto correct *do you

NXRacer
03-03-2013, 01:08 PM
Toyota FJ is a sick rig! I like the look.

Pontiac Aztec has to be one of the worst. But I saw one that some Chevy engineers modded with a corvette drive train and a chopped top that actually wasn't too bad.

A18A
03-03-2013, 02:03 PM
Fiat Multipla

POS carb
03-03-2013, 04:50 PM
I think Pontiac Aztec is definitely top 5 but there are a lot of ugly cars out there... How about the bathtub, err PT cruiser convertible
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/pt-cruiser-2007-convertible/pt-cruiser-convertible-2007.jpg
maybe not the ugliest but it popped into my head

NXRacer
03-03-2013, 04:59 PM
I found an article on the aztek I talked about. There was better information and more pictures, but I can't find them right now.

2003 Pontiac Ultimate Aztek - Autoweek (http://www.autoweek.com/article/20030929/free/309290708)

bruce.j89
03-04-2013, 12:18 PM
That Aztec don't look to bad but the pt loser is an ugly one

Vanilla Sky
03-04-2013, 02:14 PM
I like the PT and the Aztec. Multipla is certainly one that calls out to me as ugly. I can't say the new Camaro looks very good, but I don't think the Camaro has looked good since the 3rd gen. I don't think I'd say a Prius looks particularly good. The Ridgeline and Element look meh, too, but I can't say much about the RL as my dad has one and I almost bought one for myself.

I don't know, I really don't care too much what a car looks like on the outside. I'm inside the damned thing driving it.

POS carb
03-04-2013, 03:36 PM
Have you need the new Top Gear UK? They modify a Multipla for old people :lol:

87accordlxi
03-07-2013, 11:09 AM
Maybe it's just me, but the Versa sedan is probably the dumpiest looking car on the road right now.

http://img2.netcarshow.com/Nissan-Versa_Sedan_2012_800x600_wallpaper_0c.jpg

cygnus x-1
03-08-2013, 10:02 AM
First gen Honda Insight. The wheel covers are totally out of place.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1b/Honda_Insight_Back.JPG/800px-Honda_Insight_Back.JPG

C|

POS carb
03-08-2013, 12:31 PM
Subaru Baja (https://www.google.com/search?q=SUBARU+BAJA&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=JUk&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=v0c6UeONJZDq0QHj4IGQCw&ved=0CEwQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=796)

Accord Crosstour (http://www.google.com/search?q=SUBARU+BAJA&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=JUk&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=v0c6UeONJZDq0QHj4IGQCw&ved=0CEwQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=796#hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=f94&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=accord+crosstour&oq=ACCORD+CROS&gs_l=img.3.0.0l4j0i5l6.455501.457612.0.458755.11.1 1.0.0.0.0.141.982.5j6.11.0...0.0...1c.1.5.img.43UW rkRDyLQ&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.43287494,d.dmQ&fp=8851cd0166115d89&biw=1440&bih=796)

Mitsubishi L200 (http://www.google.com/search?q=mitsubishi+l200&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=WUo6UfKlCufG0QGVm4Bw&biw=1440&bih=796&sei=W0o6UdjjNOy50AHv2YC4Dw)

The Japanese are not very good at this...

POS carb
03-08-2013, 12:47 PM
1981 cadillac seville
http://www.libertysoftware.be/cml/trivia/sevillehist/81sevil.jpg

A18A
03-09-2013, 05:10 AM
looks like the back was run over with a tank then someone ironed it out lol

Legend_master
03-09-2013, 11:29 AM
I definitely put the Aztec on the top of the list, pretty sure that was the demise of Pontiac.

derolph
03-10-2013, 06:59 AM
First gen Honda Insight. The wheel covers are totally out of place.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1b/Honda_Insight_Back.JPG/800px-Honda_Insight_Back.JPG

C|I agree. The newer Insights look much nicer. They don't have the ugly fender skirt, or whatever you call it.

derolph
03-10-2013, 07:01 AM
Maybe it's just me, but the Versa sedan is probably the dumpiest looking car on the road right now.

Really? I think it looks pretty good.

Legend_master
03-10-2013, 08:28 AM
I agree. The newer Insights look much nicer. They don't have the ugly fender skirt, or whatever you call it.

Those were actually an aerodynamic feature. I believe that was one the most aerodynamic production cars ever made.

stat1K
03-10-2013, 12:02 PM
the original insight is by far better than the honda prius, i mean new insight... not an ugly car by any means and yes antares they were very functional. if we're talking ugly honda i'm gonna go with the latest generation civics and accords...

i have an element and it's not the prettiest thing to look at but it does what i need.

Vanilla Sky
03-10-2013, 09:51 PM
I think the 1G Insight is one of the last good looking small Hondas. After that car, we started seeing every Honda bloat up so big they had to introduce a small car to replace their old small car.

Legend_master
03-10-2013, 10:06 PM
I think the 1G Insight is one of the last good looking small Hondas. After that car, we started seeing every Honda bloat up so big they had to introduce a small car to replace their old small car.

It's so ironic that they really did have to add a smaller car lol, and just cause I have a soft spot for the 1st gen insight.

K-Sight... Honda Insight K Swap - Club RSX Message Board (http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=563856)

charliekuney
03-10-2013, 11:18 PM
Those were actually an aerodynamic feature. I believe that was one the most aerodynamic production cars ever made.

Speaking of, can you believe the 2013 MB CLA took that title? Fucking entry level premium compact.

Vanilla Sky
03-10-2013, 11:48 PM
Well, when you're charging more money for the car, you can spend more time in the wind tunnel. Money = time, time = over-engineering, over-engineering = unreliable German car.

stat1K
03-11-2013, 06:26 PM
that k-sight gets me everytime, so pretty.

the 1g insight to me is like the gap between the crx and the crz. they combined them both and that's what came of it.

Vanilla Sky
03-11-2013, 06:34 PM
FWIW, the only Honda I'd buy now, after test driving everything they had one day on a lark, would be the CRZ. If I could swing one, I know I'd have fun with one. I think with just a better wheel and tire setup, they'd be a really fun car.

Dr_Snooz
03-11-2013, 06:56 PM
the original insight is by far better than the honda prius

Damning with faint praise? I've driven lawnmowers that ran smoother than the Prius and were constructed of higher quality materials.

derolph
03-12-2013, 09:34 AM
the original insight is by far better than the honda prius, i mean new insight... not an ugly car by any means and yes antares they were very functional. Well, clearly, "ugly" is a matter of opinion. I have a friend who owns 2010 Insight I think it looks much nicer than the original Insight, and the newer ones are certainly not less functional than the original ones.

2drSE-i
03-12-2013, 06:18 PM
Of course ugly is a matter of opinion. IMHO the Aztek is bad, but this is worse:
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTOmctOdtkh0RZGmDr2tnAiOcVzsY1Qe rO8xhUw58-ufeYpIl0a

derolph
03-13-2013, 06:54 AM
Of course ugly is a matter of opinion. IMHO the Aztek is bad, but this is worse:
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTOmctOdtkh0RZGmDr2tnAiOcVzsY1Qe rO8xhUw58-ufeYpIl0a

Now, there's one we can agree on. LOL

Vanilla Sky
03-13-2013, 12:05 PM
I have some. ALL Acuras with beaks.

Dr_Snooz
03-13-2013, 05:31 PM
I always thought the Element looked okay. It was the Scion box from the same era that caused me physical pain. Now's it's been reincarnated as the Nissan Cube, which is even worse. I can't say I find most newer cars in the least bit attractive. Even the latest OMG Lambo, the Reventon, has wierd jutting angles and unseemly growths everywhere. It's just a bad time for car design. Although, I do like some of the Hyundais, and Bimmer has righted itself since getting rid of Chris Bangle.

87accordlxi
03-14-2013, 04:42 PM
Damning with faint praise? I've driven lawnmowers that ran smoother than the Prius and were constructed of higher quality materials.

Funny, I recently sat in a new Prius C and the interior materials felt like a 80’s Hyundai. The regular Prius wasn't as bad though.

Vanilla Sky
03-14-2013, 10:47 PM
The Prius C is where hybrids need to grow, back down into the small car market. I wish the CRZ got first gen Insight fuel economy. I know people knocking down 50MPG with first generation Insights.

I'd also love a serial hybrid truck powered with a diesel generator like a locomotive. Couldn't give 2 shits what it looks like.

Austin01
03-15-2013, 06:47 AM
awee these are really ugly cars and I don't believe that they are still availble in market for sale.. I don't know people what see in these car, I mean what are the features..I also find a car (http://www.allvehicleaccessories.com.au/) which is really very ugly.

2oodoor
03-15-2013, 01:36 PM
..tick tock

Oh and Im still undecided on the new new beetle, one looks real good to me and then I see another one and it looks so wrong so crossover. Color, wheels and trim make a world of difference between these.

87accordlxi
03-15-2013, 01:56 PM
..tick tock

Oh and Im still undecided on the new new beetle, one looks real good to me and then I see another one and it looks so wrong so crossover. Color, wheels and trim make a world of difference between these.

There's a new Beetle parked on our street. Looks like a base model with the old-school chrome dish wheels. I dig it :hs:

derolph
03-16-2013, 06:12 AM
awee these are really ugly cars and I don't believe that they are still availble in market for sale.. I don't know people what see in these car, I mean what are the features..I also find a car which is really very ugly.I guess you're talking about the Prius since it was the car mentioned in the post preceding yours. I believe the most appealing feature is clearly the fuel economy. My friend who owns a late model Honda Insight has gotten over 60 MPG with it. That's a pretty darn good reason to own one.

derolph
03-16-2013, 06:33 AM
I always thought the Element looked okay.Actually, I think they're not too bad. The color two-tone scheme on the one posted by 2drSE-i is something definitely I would not want to own. I often thought the boxy styling of the Element just seemed odd; it seems like an abandonment of aerodynamic styling the generally pervades auto design today.

stat1K
03-16-2013, 09:09 AM
while i'm sure the insight has better build quality (well not that sure) the resemblance is undeniable... https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRRoUzyykIrqD2zKUsU5ABRRZePVswf8 7NGadNvfLp3A9Ns262h

sure the fronts are different but the overall profile is just regurgitated... i've been in one and to say they feel nicer is a bit of an overstatement. the seat material was very poor, much worse than my 08 fit. a lot of car manufacturers have been skimping on the insides not just honda though...

while the element in base trim is meh, trust me i have one, the element in sc trim with a mugen kit is far from ugly in my opinion...

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww21/tiefighter1/MugenFront.jpg

it is sad that new cars don't get nearly the mileage of the old cars, and really a lot of arguments say new cars have lower emissions. but my civic had super low emissions everytime i took it to get sniffed. and it was just an old inefficient d15b7 lol... the crz i feel would be much more capable than it's numbers... Fuel Economy of 2012 Honda CR-Z (http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/PowerSearch.do?action=noform&path=7&year=2012&make=Honda&model=CR-Z&srchtyp=ymm) you can see average user fuel economy is much higher than what is listed.

Vanilla Sky
03-16-2013, 03:23 PM
Statik, you haven't been in a modern car, have you? You haven't seen the Hyundai Sonotas knocking down 40MPG, or the Corvettes knocking down 35 on the highway.

In general, the EPA test cycle sucks for most people. A lot of people do fall right around the EPA numbers as intended, but there are a lot of people that don't floor it at every stop light.

87accordlxi
03-16-2013, 04:04 PM
I'm reminded of the CRX HF. 25 years ago, the thing got 50mpg and I believe it was the cheapest model. Compare that to nowadays when you have to pay more for the Chevy Cruze ECO model - and that doesn't come close to 50mpg.

But I doubt manufacturers just choose to not make engines that fuel efficient anymore. Cars are way heavier now because of safety expectations, and consumers expect more and more creature comforts. Power windows & locks are an expected feature now, which is why I was shocked recently when pricing cars and saw that the base Kia Rio came with roll-ups. So maybe what's happening is that affordable mass-market engine efficiency technology isn't keeping up with the rate at which we demand larger, heavier and more feature-laden cars.

Vanilla Sky
03-16-2013, 04:24 PM
Yeah, you kinda need to compare apples to apples. Find me a 4,000 pound car from they 80's that gets 40MPG and we'll talk.

stat1K
03-17-2013, 06:35 PM
i'm not sure i understand your question? i drove a brand new elantra that got "40mpg" highway according to the sticker. Sure it got 40, going 55mph on the highway with cars and semis trying to murder me. When driven at a reasonable speed for arizona freeways it got right at 26. I don't understand where the difference comes from in these cars. That's more or less my point. My 1990 civic (albeit underweight compared to today's cars) got 40 with me jamming on it everywhere. Every day every stop at least a 4k shift out of first, if not 7200. the worst mileage i could muster was when my cat was destroyed somewhere in mississippi on a cross country drive, i still got 32.

So why when you drive a "modern" car does the mileage suffer SO greatly under load than my 1990 honda civic with "antiquated" technology by today's fuel/combustion/ignition standards? My fit gets 40mpg highway currently with hx wheels and doesn't weigh too much, but it too suffers from the vast difference between highway and city mileage numbers. If i drive it mostly city miles i'll get near 32. That's a 20% decrease.

Also your question definitely came off very condescending, nothing new from you, but had you read any of my posts you'd know that i have a 2008 honda fit, and a 2004 honda element. i'm not sure how "modern" my vehicles need to be to meet your standards?

anywho this threads about ugly, not inefficient. sorry to get off topic.

Vanilla Sky
03-18-2013, 07:23 AM
I don't know, call it a sampling size error, but I know of 2 people, with a total of 3 Elantras, that are beating the 40MPG estimate not on the highway, but on average. Not hypermilers, no crazy shenanigans with adding fuel elsewhere and calling it an MPG gain.

For what it's worth, I have a 2008 Saturn Astra. I wouldn't consider it current. No direct injection, no infinitely variable valve timing, no super lean burn mode, no turbocharger on a low displacement engine, no super high compression ratio. When it's running right and not throwing a CEL (it's like a VW in this sense), we get about 32MPG on average, mostly city driving. That's not bad for a car that weighs 3,600 pounds, and can't even match the numbers that you can pull off in your (albeit lighter) Fit.

For what it's worth, I meant to say Elantras in the above post, not Sonatas. I don't really keep track of what snooze machines car companies are building.

You seem to be the only one that has an issue with my tone. I don't know why, but it seems that you have come to believe I am an old man, and you read my posts as such. Most of what I say is sarcastic. When I addressed you, I didn't intend for it to come off as condescending. It was a genuine question.

Just out of morbid curiosity, what is "normal freeway speed" out there? In my neck of the woods, the limit is 70, and you're being passed by everyone unless you're doing 80. If you're on I4 and you're not in downtown Orlando, 90 seems to be the target speed.

2oodoor
03-18-2013, 09:49 AM
Oh shoot oh shoot no he didn't throw the old man card:rofl:

Ugly is....Chevy Spark. Lots of cargo space though.

cygnus x-1
03-18-2013, 09:56 AM
2012 Elantra base:
28/38 CTY/HWY EPA
148HP
131lb-ft
2701lbs
0.049 HP/lb

1990 Civic base:
28/33 CTY/HWY EPA
70HP
83lb-ft
2127 lbs
0.033 HP/lb

If you drive it like you stole it the 1990 Civic likely will get better mileage because it's significantly under powered compared to the recent Elantra. Other things to consider are that EPA fuel mileage testing standards change periodically, as well as do fuel mixtures, so comparing late model cars to older ones is not so straightforward. I also believe (no numbers to back it though) the majority of the country is now using gasoline blended with ethanol, whereas that wouldn't have been the case 15 or more years ago.

C|

cygnus x-1
03-18-2013, 10:06 AM
Oh yeah, ugly...

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09/10/1028_50_ugliest_cars_of_past_50_years/image/050_tata_nano.jpg

Fifty Ugliest Cars of the Past 50 Years: Tata Nano - BusinessWeek (http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09/10/1028_50_ugliest_cars_of_past_50_years/50.htm)

C|

stat1K
03-20-2013, 05:59 PM
I don't know, call it a sampling size error, but I know of 2 people, with a total of 3 Elantras, that are beating the 40MPG estimate not on the highway, but on average. Not hypermilers, no crazy shenanigans with adding fuel elsewhere and calling it an MPG gain.

For what it's worth, I have a 2008 Saturn Astra. I wouldn't consider it current. No direct injection, no infinitely variable valve timing, no super lean burn mode, no turbocharger on a low displacement engine, no super high compression ratio. When it's running right and not throwing a CEL (it's like a VW in this sense), we get about 32MPG on average, mostly city driving. That's not bad for a car that weighs 3,600 pounds, and can't even match the numbers that you can pull off in your (albeit lighter) Fit.

For what it's worth, I meant to say Elantras in the above post, not Sonatas. I don't really keep track of what snooze machines car companies are building.

You seem to be the only one that has an issue with my tone. I don't know why, but it seems that you have come to believe I am an old man, and you read my posts as such. Most of what I say is sarcastic. When I addressed you, I didn't intend for it to come off as condescending. It was a genuine question.

Just out of morbid curiosity, what is "normal freeway speed" out there? In my neck of the woods, the limit is 70, and you're being passed by everyone unless you're doing 80. If you're on I4 and you're not in downtown Orlando, 90 seems to be the target speed.

when you ask questions the way you did or do it comes off very condescending like i said. limit is 65 on most highways except the 10, goes up to 75 outside of phoenix. If you're not doing 80 on the 202 you're in the wrong is pretty much what its like.

2012 Elantra base:
28/38 CTY/HWY EPA
148HP
131lb-ft
2701lbs
0.049 HP/lb

1990 Civic base:
28/33 CTY/HWY EPA
70HP
83lb-ft
2127 lbs
0.033 HP/lb

If you drive it like you stole it the 1990 Civic likely will get better mileage because it's significantly under powered compared to the recent Elantra. Other things to consider are that EPA fuel mileage testing standards change periodically, as well as do fuel mixtures, so comparing late model cars to older ones is not so straightforward. I also believe (no numbers to back it though) the majority of the country is now using gasoline blended with ethanol, whereas that wouldn't have been the case 15 or more years ago.

C|

stock for stock you'd say that right? my car was dyno'd at 127whp and right about 106lb-ft. it was a d15b7 not a d15b2 and i was not dpfi. i had an sohc zc head, mpfi with a z6 manifold, 4-1 header, 2.25" dc sports exhaust, cat delete, cold air, obd1 conversion and the car weighed 2100 with me in the driver seat. i understand why it got 45-50 driving gingerly but it would literally get between 38-40 everytime.

Vanilla Sky
03-20-2013, 08:33 PM
In my experience, the more power a car makes, the better the fuel economy can be. I know someone that had a 400WHP FRC Corvette that could still get 30+ on the highway and mid 20's in town. Since you can't really use 400WHP in town that often, the car was babied a lot. You can just about idle those cars around in town from the factory. That helps with fuel economy. I'm willing to guess that you're having some of the same things going on with your car. Chances are your tune was a lot better than the factory tune ever could have been, since it was tuned to your engine, not loaded with a generic program for that engine.

Vanilla Sky
03-20-2013, 08:36 PM
Ugly...

Corvette Summer Trailer (1978) High Quality - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W9pmT6JTO4)

stat1K
03-21-2013, 03:52 PM
i was just saying almost exactly that in my element today. had they put a j32 or higher in it i'm sure it could have mustered 30mpg on the highway. but for that matter honda didn't give too many fucks about the element it would seem because they put a 4spd auto in it. some guys on the element forums have put 6spd manuals and got over 30mpg highway. honda just didn't seem to think it was that big of a deal to warrant the extra cost (not sure what the cost would be) to throw in 6spd manuals and 5spd autos. considering the accord had both of these available as well as the civic si, rsx type s, etc... same with the v6, just seems like honda didn't care to change it. maybe they'd still make them if they had these options, but probably not. they're too busy with the cross tour and all the hideous beaked acuras.

2drSE-i
03-22-2013, 08:55 AM
Ah yes, I did forget about this monstrosity...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fa/Nissan_Cube_Z12_001.JPG

2oodoor
03-22-2013, 03:13 PM
Those would have been so much um less ugly if the windows wern't so little tykes barbie mattel looking... But then it would have looked too English.

Vanilla Sky
03-24-2013, 11:03 AM
I like the kawaii look of the Cube, but you kinda have to like retro Japanese design to dig it. They do need to be dropped a few inches with the right wheel and tire package.

charliekuney
03-24-2013, 11:30 AM
2014 Kia Soul is even worse than the first.

2drSE-i
03-24-2013, 01:02 PM
I like the kawaii look of the Cube, but you kinda have to like retro Japanese design to dig it. They do need to be dropped into fire

Fixed it for you. :)