PDA

View Full Version : help headlights wont go down

stance_it
03-05-2013, 12:02 PM
they were just working fine now they are stuck in the up posistion is there a fuse i can check

89T
03-05-2013, 12:05 PM
they were just working fine now they are stuck in the up posistion is there a fuse i can check

Did you check the switch on the dash.

stance_it
03-05-2013, 12:18 PM
how do u do that i was useing the fog light switch an they stop working

89T
03-05-2013, 01:21 PM
There Is a rocker switch on the right side of the steering wheel. The fog light switch is a push button on the left.

89T
03-06-2013, 07:04 AM
Did you figure it out

stance_it
03-06-2013, 10:52 AM
no i really need help my fuses are good idk what eles to do they were just workin i dont understand

2oodoor
03-06-2013, 01:12 PM
You try unhooking the battery?

NXRacer
03-06-2013, 04:45 PM
Both sides stopped working? I'm pretty sure there are 2 fuses for the headlights. One for the mechanism and one for the lights themselves. If they both quit, I'd suspect a fuse. If one stopped working, I'd suspect the mech motor itself.

Dr_Snooz
03-06-2013, 08:17 PM
I hate to interrupt all this blind guessing, but there is a section in the manual for this. It starts on p. 25-66.

OP, let us know what you learn. All signs point to a bad control unit, but you should run the tests to be sure.

Manual is here: 1989 USDM Honda Accord Factory Service Manual (http://honda.roadpwnage.com/manuals/pages/usdm-accord-1989-full.php)

Good luck.

lostforawhile
03-06-2013, 08:28 PM
The manual has a good diagnostic section, its most likely the manual switch or the control unit, there is a fuse that sends power to the control unit,and a separate. Fuse for each headlight motor

lostforawhile
03-06-2013, 09:12 PM
You need to check fuse 14,6,and 11, these are power into the controller, also check fuse 5, this is power into the retractor switch, also check circuit 7 and 6 in the underhood fuse box, these provide power to the motors, it may very well be the retractor switch, if you know basic electronics, it contains two diodes and one zener diode,very easy to check and replace, they are standard components not surface mount, if the zener diode starts conducting,the circuit thinks the button is pushed and the lights stay up, my body may be broke but my mind still functions

stance_it
03-07-2013, 03:54 PM
ok thanks for all the help im goin to go try what u guys said

Bluntman
03-11-2013, 06:50 AM
Mine were stuck up. Went to the junk yard got another headlight dash switch and that fixed it for me.

stance_it
03-11-2013, 07:21 AM
lol same here

Dr_Snooz
03-11-2013, 07:22 PM
So the issue is resolved?

lostforawhile
03-11-2013, 09:47 PM
lol same here

dont throw the switch out, its eithier the zener diode or one of the regular diodes in it, they are simple to repair

ADRIANFARINA
03-19-2013, 10:54 AM
also happened to me two-three times.
there is a rotating switch on each mechanism that every complete round sends the headlamp down and up again (headlamp height adjustment).
it helped me.

ArrZeroZero
04-28-2020, 05:19 AM
You need to check fuse 14,6,and 11, these are power into the controller, also check fuse 5, this is power into the retractor switch, also check circuit 7 and 6 in the underhood fuse box, these provide power to the motors, it may very well be the retractor switch, if you know basic electronics, it contains two diodes and one zener diode,very easy to check and replace, they are standard components not surface mount, if the zener diode starts conducting,the circuit thinks the button is pushed and the lights stay up, my body may be broke but my mind still functions

How do you check which diode is cause problems my headlights will flip up when I turn the lights on but I have to manually put the down the push button does not work (87 accord)

ShiRen
04-28-2020, 01:28 PM
How do you check which diode is cause problems my headlights will flip up when I turn the lights on but I have to manually put the down the push button does not work (87 accord)

I don't have to be looking at it to tell you the diodes are black with a lateral white stripe on one side, the zener diode probably looks like a tiny glass tube with an orange inside and a lateral black stripe on one end. I have never had the switch apart though, so I can't point them out to you. Just do a diode test on them with a multimeter, good meters have a special diode mode, rudimentary ones can check them with a simple resistance test both ways, they should only show continuity in one direction.