PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust manifold stud size and ECU buzzing zzzzzzz

pablo3264
03-06-2013, 06:50 PM
I ordered a paceshitter header couple days ago to replace my cracked stock manifold and also want/need to replace my studs. I went to Autozone and Oreilly's and cant find what the size is suppose to be nor do they sell kits.

I would like to get stronger studs so none break in the future. Anyone know where I can a replacement set other than asking Honda themselves? I dont feel like paying an arm and leg to them....

Also as I said in my previous threads, my ECU is always buzzing when the car is on. Literally all i hear is bzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Dunno where to look as I already checked all my grounds and they look fine. I have a video which ill post the link below...dont mind the flashing ecu...fucken egr code lolz.

1986 Honda Prelude 2.0 SI ECU BUZZING - YouTube (http://youtu.be/C0J6W94k8Cw)

Dr_Snooz
03-06-2013, 08:02 PM
The problem with the studs is that there are a two different failure points. The first is the stud itself which can snap off. The other is the soft aluminum threads in the head that hold it in. I had one that pulled right out of the head bringing all the threads with it. Now I get to HeliCoil it. :(

For the ECU, start by fixing your code. Failing that, swap it out for a different one and see if that fixes it.

pablo3264
03-06-2013, 09:23 PM
The problem with the studs is that there are a two different failure points. The first is the stud itself which can snap off. The other is the soft aluminum threads in the head that hold it in. I had one that pulled right out of the head bringing all the threads with it. Now I get to HeliCoil it. :(

For the ECU, start by fixing your code. Failing that, swap it out for a different one and see if that fixes it.

Damn that sucks...but yeah I've had one of the studs already completely out from the previous owners so no idea if its in ok condition to stick a new stud in. I'm also missing a few bolts that hold the manifold in lol. But where could I find the stud size though?

And the ECU has always buzzed like that since i first had the car, it never threw that code 12 till about 3 months after owning the car. I'll try to swap it out with one from a wrecking yard or maybe ill buy one off of ebay or something. I doubt the ECU is bad though because the car wouldnt run correct?

Thanks

lostforawhile
03-06-2013, 10:31 PM
If you helicoil it, helicoil for a 5/16 stud, a standard exhaust stud will be fine thread on one end and coarse on the other, 5/16 is close enough to work on the factory manifold, a standard thread helicoil is much eaisier and cheaper then a metric

Legend_master
03-06-2013, 10:59 PM
I bet most Hondas use the same bolt style, you should go to a junkyard and try swapping from 4g accords, preludes, or civic/crxs. With the ecu it sounds like a relay to me, but I've never opened the factory ecu. Take the top off and identify exactly what is making the noise.

cygnus x-1
03-07-2013, 08:25 AM
The exhaust studs are 8mm x 1.25, about 45mm long. When you put new ones in, use lots of anti-seize on the threads. The other studs are also 8mm with varying lengths.

C|

pablo3264
03-09-2013, 06:43 PM
The exhaust studs are 8mm x 1.25, about 45mm long. When you put new ones in, use lots of anti-seize on the threads. The other studs are also 8mm with varying lengths.

C|

Cool thanks your always a lot of help no joke.

I ordered new studs today so hoepfully they get here soon so I can throw on the header I got today.

I'm definitely gonna follow torque specs and such to not screw things up lol

pablo3264
03-09-2013, 07:27 PM

C|

I'm guessing these will work correct?

8mm Exhaust Manifold Stud Set of 3 Studs Lock Nuts | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/160982618187?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649)

I messaged the seller and they said it works for manifold to cylinder head just fine.

Oldblueaccord
03-10-2013, 06:35 AM
I'm guessing these will work correct?

8mm Exhaust Manifold Stud Set of 3 Studs Lock Nuts | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/160982618187?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649)

I messaged the seller and they said it works for manifold to cylinder head just fine.

Yep there it.

But if the threads are bad at the very least you will need to retap the holes. It would be a good idea anyway and use a torque wrench.

lostforawhile
03-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Yep there it.

But if the threads are bad at the very least you will need to retap the holes. It would be a good idea anyway and use a torque wrench.

If the threads are bad,you will need a helicoil, the aluminum in the head is soft, don't buy the cheap ones, buy the genuine helicoil brand, there is a biig difference, its expensive for the kit, but the only real fix other then tig welding in an aluminum sleeve and retapping, its eaisier to find 5/16 exaust studs then the metric, they will work fine other then possibly a very slight filing of the holes on the factory manifold, exaust studs will be fine thread on one end and coarse on the other