PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Armrest?

FederalSecurity
03-07-2013, 11:41 AM
Okay, ladies and gentlemen. Ever since I found this center console and armrest in another third generation Accord, I've been thinking on it and trying to search on this site, including Classic Prelude, Prelude Power, Google, and eBay. The closest armrests that I've been able to find are the DA armrests and the rare armrests listed on eBay. It's driving me nuts. Does anyone here know anything about this armrest?

http://www.3geez.com/forum/members/federalsecurity-albums-1988-lx-i-picture4966-mystery-armrest-side-profile.jpg

http://www.3geez.com/forum/members/federalsecurity-albums-1988-lx-i-picture4967-mystery-armrest-angle-view.jpg

http://www.3geez.com/forum/members/federalsecurity-albums-1988-lx-i-picture4968-mystery-armrest-open-console.jpg

http://www.3geez.com/forum/members/federalsecurity-albums-1988-lx-i-picture4969-mystery-center-console-markings.jpg

import racer
03-07-2013, 12:00 PM
That's the other one available for our accords through the dealer I think.I have one in my car til I get the armrest recovered on my sei one.

FederalSecurity
03-07-2013, 12:18 PM
Thanks, import racer. I've been on 3Geez for over five years and this is the first time I've ever seen this type of armrest. I'm assuming they're somewhat rare?

2oodoor
03-07-2013, 01:53 PM
Those have been more common around my area, I have a few of those I would give away.
The sei type is more rare but Ive found a few in lxi that are cloth but the same as sei otherwise.

charliekuney
03-07-2013, 02:01 PM
The dealership ones are the most common because they could put them in any DX/LX/LX-i that didn't come with a factory armrest since they just drill holes and bolt over the little console.

FederalSecurity
03-07-2013, 03:06 PM
Out of curiousity, fellas...how many different types of consoles and armrests are out there for our Accords? Anything different overseas?

ghettogeddy
03-07-2013, 03:25 PM
Just the 2 that I know of.. The sei single price and the dealer bolt on.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

FederalSecurity
03-07-2013, 03:32 PM
Thanks, all. I guess I'll spring for an SE-i center console a little later on, but for now a dealership armrest looks a lot better than not having an armrest at all.

lostforawhile
03-07-2013, 05:16 PM
I have one I customized, you need to strengthen the area where the four screws attach its the weak point, there is also a bracket that attaches to the bottom of the center console, it uses the two screws that attach the bottom part of the center console, and gives you two threaded holes for part of the top piece

dieselgus
03-07-2013, 08:13 PM
Same armrest that came with my DX, and transferred over to my EX when I picked it up in the fall. Lost is right, very weak where the storage bit attaches to the vertical part. I ended up making a couple aluminum plates to beef it up and it has worked very well for the past 4 years now (was broken and in the trunk when I got the DX). I whipped up a cupholder out of some 1/4" abs sheet and some 4" abs pipe that comes off the bottom front of the storage part and a Starbucks venti fits perfectly in and rests on the top of the ebrake lever. Keeps coffee in a nice easy to get at and non spill location.

FederalSecurity
03-07-2013, 08:15 PM
I have one I customized, you need to strengthen the area where the four screws attach its the weak point, there is also a bracket that attaches to the bottom of the center console, it uses the two screws that attach the bottom part of the center console, and gives you two threaded holes for part of the top piece

So far I've superglued the cracks and broken pieces where the four screws are attached, but I don't think that will be strong enough. I'm wondering if spreading a layer of QuikSteel or something like that around the four screws would be viable.

lostforawhile
03-07-2013, 08:27 PM
So far I've superglued the cracks and broken pieces where the four screws are attached, but I don't think that will be strong enough. I'm wondering if spreading a layer of QuikSteel or something like that around the four screws would be viable.

I made a plate with four screws holding it, I got rid of the plastic buttons holding the top to the bottom,the plate is also the new spacer between the top and bottom

charliekuney
03-08-2013, 10:24 AM
There are more than just the two armrests. Other continents had multiple types. Europe had the flat one with all of the button locations with the small side-opening console.

ghettogeddy
03-08-2013, 10:31 AM
I've never seen any more then the 2

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

lostforawhile
03-08-2013, 11:05 AM
There are more than just the two armrests. Other continents had multiple types. Europe had the flat one with all of the button locations with the small side-opening console.

There were two amrests but several center consoles

charliekuney
03-08-2013, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the correction, Tim. I was typing fast.

2oodoor
03-08-2013, 04:19 PM

Yup I epoxyed the crap out of the ones I have. Im not using them since I lean on my armrest all the time.

import racer
03-08-2013, 05:43 PM
Yeah they're not very strong,I made a plate for mine and used 4 bolts with lock nuts to strengthen it.But the sei one is the better way to go.

lostforawhile
03-08-2013, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the correction, Tim. I was typing fast.

I would like the jdm one with the seat heater buttons