PDA

View Full Version : What Clutch ?? hmm...

GreenMachine
10-28-2002, 04:17 PM
Well I need a new clutch and I was wondering has anyone used a centerforce dual friction ? I was thinking og getting that or the ACT clutch both are about $420 so its a toss up, any opinions.;)

Kevin
10-28-2002, 07:44 PM
hey, Act is your best bet!! Centerforce is ok but, ACT is a hell of alot stronger and has longer life!!!

smufguy
10-28-2002, 09:23 PM
Centerforce is what u wanna go with. Besides greenman, i wont invest in a performance clutch unless u have a turbo or heavy mods like a full exhaust with a cam and stuff like that. On my mods list, A performance clutch is aint gonna be there just yet, cause with almost stock engine and car, u aint gaing with an aftermarket clutch cause there is no need.

GreenMachine
10-28-2002, 09:35 PM
Ya but why buy a cheap one when I plan on doing up the engine eventually anyways. The only other option I have from the parts stores up here is a dynomax which is $200, but I have one of those on my old engine with less than 15000km on it and it was already slippin, if ya dropped it or did reverse to firsties, hehe.

Anyways I don't want to buy another bunk clutch, cause I had no luck with that dynomax. Iwant something that will hold thru no matter what mods are ahead.

Cam... is definetly on the way, colt cams is only 45min away.

so ya I've heard good things about centerforce and ACT, Centerforce can be here by tommorow, so i ordered it.

peace :bh:

anchovies
10-28-2002, 09:42 PM
Do not buy the centerforce...oh well you already ordered it. Alot of members complained about the dual friction. Does not last and doesn't grip as well.

GreenMachine
10-28-2002, 10:20 PM
hmmm... haven't paid yet ....anyone own the centerforce here ?

I have a friend with the centerforce on his scirroco He's had other clutches before and he swears by it

ACCORD EX
10-29-2002, 01:26 AM
do you really need a performance clutch ? if not go with honda geniune ! works the bes t !

MIKE

1988starter
10-29-2002, 07:48 AM
I think Dark honda has one and he likes it lots.

socal3rdgen
10-29-2002, 08:35 AM
i did a lot of research on this question. I have went thru one stock geniune clutch. (180,000 miles though) then one peice of shit clutch (autozone or the likes of) and so i went with a ACT stage 1. im so glad that i did that. my 2 main reasons for going with this clutch is becuz. 1. when they heat up the grip just as good if not better. 2. i want to get a cam and more upgrades for my car. And also the grip from this clutch is great. I've felt a stage 3 in wickedaccords gsr motor car. and this stage 1 i got is not that far behind. well yes its not as much grip as a stage 3 but you can definetly tell the difference over stock. im very happy with it.

GreenMachine
10-29-2002, 03:17 PM
Thanks guys - I took a look at the clutch today, ohhhh its fancy orange. lol . Well I don't understand why on the flywheel side of the clutch it only has about 50% of the clutch surface opposed to the whole thing ? Any one know what I'm talkin about and may be able to help me understand Why - What makes it "Dual Friction" - thanks

1988starter
10-29-2002, 04:04 PM
Well I would be able to tell you how i like mine but the tranny guy ordeded the wrong part so it is another week and a half untill I might get my car back.

anchovies
10-29-2002, 09:02 PM
nobody listens...ahh well

jteuton
10-30-2002, 02:51 PM
ACT is your best bet besides clutchmaters.....but who wants to pay that much for a clutch? The bottom line on Centerforce is they are good but when dealing with imports and not domestics you should stay away from them. I have not used Centerforce personally but have heard only bad things on our cars with them. I have the ACT stage 1 and its very nice and has a stock engagment feel. I would say I have been very abusive with it and not even let it break in good (250 miles on it so far) and already went racing with it. Hell as soon as I got the tranny in I shifted hard and was dropping at around 3-4k without any slippage so I definitely reccommend this clutch.

socal3rdgen
10-30-2002, 03:10 PM
hmm... thats sounds strange. i have the same ACT stage 1 and mine is definetly has more grip then a stock clutch. i used honda geniune and regular oem replacement. anyways i say ACT all the way.

jteuton
10-30-2002, 05:41 PM
well the 'engagement' feels stock to me. Its decently smooth for such strong grip and doesn't strain the hell outta your leg in rush hour traffic. If you are use to performance clutches than you will agree the ACT won't wear your leg out but still offer the strong grip you expect. I didn't mean for it to sound soft but if you have one you have to agree that the average joe wouldn't complain about driving it. I think that is what I meant.

GreenMachine
11-10-2002, 03:30 PM
Well it turns they ordered the wrong clutch, its to big. Also the centerforce did have the balance wieghts on it, which is supposly what makes them so good ( thats what a couple mechanics told me ) . Anyways I was wonderin if anyone has heard of LUK clutches and if there any good. Its a hell of a loy cheaper and is the only one that can be here in 1 day other than a fenco or dynomax, which i don't want !

Any info on LUK clutches would be greatly appreciated how much better are they from stock ! thanks y'all

GreenMachine
11-10-2002, 05:17 PM
Also the centerforce did have the balance wieghts on it,

That is it did NOT have the balance wieghts.
;)

GreenMachine
11-11-2002, 03:14 PM
Does anyone here use the centerforce stage 1 or 2 ?
Do you know if we can get the stage 2 for our cars, I was told by local shop they did not have it.
And is the stage 1 a noticible upgrade or no ?
Any Info pleeaasse !

AZmike
11-12-2002, 10:04 AM
I got one for LUK a few weeks ago. It looked well put-together and seems to have more distance on the pedal between engaged and disengaged than the Honda clutch I replaced (I think it was a Honda clutch). It grips well though. The kit was about $110+tax; came with an exact replacement NSK throwout bearing too. Just be careful to clean all of the corrosion protection coating off the pressure plate before the cluth disk touches it.

1988starter
11-12-2002, 10:14 AM
I have a centerforce dualfriceton. when It was first installed it felt light as a feather but by the time I was 100 miles into my break in period it was gripping great and the petal stiffened up quite a bit. I like it lots so far.

GreenMachine
11-12-2002, 03:12 PM
So it turns out that lordco sent me a 98 accord dual friction.....oh how i wish i had was driving that. lol
So i guess i'm gonna get the dual friction, it will be here on wed and i'll put it on fri.
Thanks for your input

JSid7
11-14-2002, 12:43 PM
yeah i got a luk clutch on my hatchback and it seems to have more distance between engage and disengage... as 89LXi4dr said...i like it but id rather have a diff one... cause its basically stock replacment

GreenMachine
11-17-2002, 10:51 PM
Well I got it in, in took about 3 hours to put her back together in the pouring rain, ya it was fun.
It grabs hard and engages almost instantly, i'm happy. yahh ! no more driving a POS.
Put the insurance back on her tomorow .:super: