PDA

View Full Version : New injectors and got a error code 6 wtf?

pablo3264
03-08-2013, 09:35 PM
Installed new injectors today from rockauto to replace the old used ones I previously bought awhile back and got a code 6 which is coolant temp sensor wtf? I disconnected battery again then got code 12 after driving again and now its at code 6 again after resetting for the third time.

I installed the new injectors in the order below...

I disconnected the battery, installed new injectors + seals, while I was at it I put in a new fuel filter and then reconnected the battery and turned the key to engage the fuel pump and left it like that for about 15 seconds to make sure I had fuel pressure and I did.. Car fired up and was idling like crap for a little while and pgmfi light came on after a couple minutes while at idle, but didnt shoot a code to the ecu?

Not sure what to make of this...

I did however feel a slight gain in throttle response being they were new injectors. I wanted to try to improve my fuel economy just a tad bit and that was the reason why I wanted new injectors.

Legend_master
03-08-2013, 09:58 PM
Did you try testing the coolant temp sensor? Could just be a matter of coincidences that the code came on with the repair.

pablo3264
03-09-2013, 08:59 AM
Did you try testing the coolant temp sensor? Could just be a matter of coincidences that the code came on with the repair.

I haven't check yet. Do I just test with a multimeter or is there another way to test?

Either way they're pretty cheap I may as well just swap in a new one to be safe.

I did test if the injectors were firing correctly though. I disconnected each harness one at a time from the injectors and noted the change in idle speed and they all changed the idle when unplugged and I also heard them with a screw driver and they sounded like they were firing ok.

Legend_master
03-09-2013, 10:28 AM
I haven't check yet. Do I just test with a multimeter or is there another way to test?

Either way they're pretty cheap I may as well just swap in a new one to be safe.

I did test if the injectors were firing correctly though. I disconnected each harness one at a time from the injectors and noted the change in idle speed and they all changed the idle when unplugged and I also heard them with a screw driver and they sounded like they were firing ok.

The shop manual shows the use of hot water (on a stove) with a temp gauge, and a multi meter to determine the sensor is turning on at the right temp.

pablo3264
03-09-2013, 06:41 PM
The shop manual shows the use of hot water (on a stove) with a temp gauge, and a multi meter to determine the sensor is turning on at the right temp.

I'll probably end up switching it out since I'm gonna flush out my radiator and add new coolant, thermovalve, hoses and probably this sensor as well.

Which of these are the coolant temp sensor? I'm a little confused

Dr_Snooz
03-09-2013, 07:03 PM
The lower one is the sender for the gauge. I think you want the upper one.

It's great. There are about 5 different temp sensors on these cars.

pablo3264
03-16-2013, 11:44 PM
Ended up throwing my old injectors back on. One or more of these new ones kept leaking somehow while the car was off and causing a very hard start and poor mileage. Ordered new ones from Autozone from their website only cuz I could use their discount code to save 20% which is about $45 bucks in savings and I ordered a week ago and they have yet to ship them out.....

I ended up buying a new temp sender and sensor from rockauto. Ill get them on in a week or so. Thanks guys.