PDA

View Full Version : Transmission issues

firefighterwhite89
03-09-2013, 03:33 PM
So, about a week ago, i parked the car, nothing out of the ordinary had been happening, but in my drivers side floorboard laid a circular spring i could see had broken. No clue at that time where it came from and didn't think anything about it having came off my car, well, today, i think i figured out where it belonged. The past 4 days now, my clutch pedal has been really hard to push and it makes this terrible metal on metal like sound when pressed. And shifting into gears is now a matter of brute force alittle over half the time, like trying to shift your car while it's shut off in neutral without the clutch, sometimes it doesn't wanna go into first gear, but it's like that in all gears now. When i stop at a red light, and finally get it to shove into first, it still pulls alittle like an automatic when you're stopped and let off the brakes and it slowly starts to move without pressing the gas, and that's with my clutch fully depressed to the floor, all the way. I tried tightening my clutch cable adjustment as tight as i could without going overboard and it still does the same stuff. Could my throwout bearing be going out? Clutch is fine, once it goes into gear, it doesn't slip or anything. Could this small circular spring be the issue cause it to be hard to shift from neutral into any gear? What do you think may be causing it?:dunno::wtf:

Dr_Snooz
03-09-2013, 07:07 PM
Sounds like your clutch fork is about to break. Not sure about the spring though.

firefighterwhite89
03-09-2013, 09:16 PM
could the clutch release fork be the part you're talking about? I couldn't find a clutch fork in any part of the entire repair manual.

As a side note, this is an A2K5 Prelude Si trans, But i still have my original A2Q5 stock transmission even though 5th gear is down for the count, so hopefully parts are transferrable per transmission that i need.

Oldblueaccord
03-10-2013, 06:39 AM
Stick your head under the dash and see whats up with the peddle linkage. It sounds like the cable is not pulling far enough too release the clutch.

firefighterwhite89
03-10-2013, 06:06 PM
I believe i may have figured out the issue as to why the pedal is so hard to push and it still lightly pulls after you completely stop, clutch pedal all the way in while in first gear and it's so hard to shift into gears. I took my transmission off today, and man did it get uber messy. Noticed my release arm on the outside of the current transmission was rubbing the side of the housing about 75% of the way depressed and up. Then i came to notice that the rod the fork is attatched to had about 3/4" of play pulling the arm inwards and outwards. And when the arm is depressed, the fork goes completely towards the front of the car as it rubs against the side of the housing instead of staying perfectly centered.

My old transmission's release fork, spring, arm and rod seem completely perfect when the arm is depressed and has maybe 1/8" of play in the rod, not to mention, the fork seems to be closer together rather than bent out.

Pressure plate looked great, throwout bearing fine even though it sounded like it had just alittle grit in it when spun. I'm hoping this is my problem. Anyone know how to remove the Arm, Rod, Clutch release fork and spring?

zenapup
03-10-2013, 08:05 PM
Remove the one bolt from the release arm shaft and pull the whole thing off the transmission (the shaft SHOULD slide off the fork, but mine was really seized to the shaft when I took it off, just a heads up)

I believe i may have figured out the issue as to why the pedal is so hard to push and it still lightly pulls after you completely stop, clutch pedal all the way in while in first gear and it's so hard to shift into gears. I took my transmission off today, and man did it get uber messy. Noticed my release arm on the outside of the current transmission was rubbing the side of the housing about 75% of the way depressed and up. Then i came to notice that the rod the fork is attatched to had about 3/4" of play pulling the arm inwards and outwards. And when the arm is depressed, the fork goes completely towards the front of the car as it rubs against the side of the housing instead of staying perfectly centered.

My old transmission's release fork, spring, arm and rod seem completely perfect when the arm is depressed and has maybe 1/8" of play in the rod, not to mention, the fork seems to be closer together rather than bent out.

Pressure plate looked great, throwout bearing fine even though it sounded like it had just alittle grit in it when spun. I'm hoping this is my problem. Anyone know how to remove the Arm, Rod, Clutch release fork and spring?

firefighterwhite89
03-10-2013, 08:09 PM
Remove the one bolt from the release arm shaft and pull the whole thing off the transmission (the shaft SHOULD slide off the fork, but mine was really seized to the shaft when I took it off, just a heads up)

Thanks! What was your technique removing the shaft? both of mine are seized up and i don't wanna break anything. I'd be saving money if i could get these out undamaged...

zenapup
03-11-2013, 07:22 PM
My dad had to heat it up pretty hot with a torch while I slowly worked it back and forth. It took about an hour and a half to get it off but it came off undamaged. Then clean the messed up part of the shaft and fork where they seized up together. When I reassembled mine, I put tons of anti-seize on the shaft so it hopefully will not seize up again. MAJOR PAIN!!! Good luck and just be patient with it is about the only way to get it off. Use lots of penetrating oil.

Dr_Snooz
03-11-2013, 07:34 PM
Are you able to get pics of the seized shaft and damaged fork?