PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Alternator itself...

swbat55
03-11-2013, 08:44 AM
So, I replaced my alternator a while back on my 1989 accord lxi. Basically all was well until I heard this grinding noise coming from the driver side of my car. I popped the hood and noticed that alternator wheel that holds the belt was crooked and grinding against the alternator itself. I took the alternator off again, and it seemed that the wheel was loose (moved around loosely when i pressed on it. The bolt holding on the wheel wasnt on very tight so i tried tightening it, but it wouldnt go on all the way, there was some kind of resistance and not very much room to tighten in. So in the end i put a washer inbetween the bolt and the wheel and it stopped the shaking of the wheel...so i thought. I started up the car again and it seemed that the washer just helped the wheel loosen the bolt once the car was running lol...stupid me right? Anyways, has anyone heard of a similar problem? I was thinking maybe the alternator is broken, but it could also be another part of the car causing this problem. My next step was getting some better tools to try and tighten this bolt, or taking the alternator back to kragen and having them tighten it. Suggestions? Thanks! BTW this is a first time post, but I have fixed many things on my accord. Thanks guys!
~Cam

Dr_Snooz
03-11-2013, 07:16 PM
Welcome Cam. You won't have to read around here too long before you find that we don't hold Kragen/Autozone/Advanced/Etc. alternators in high esteem. In the low end rebuild plants, they drive a dump truck in with a bunch of old alternators. They dump them in a big pile on the factory floor and then do a very quick test on each. Anything that passes the test gets cleaned and resold. If it comes back broken, they'll happily give you another to try. You do the long-term testing for them and they figure you'll get tired of bringing them back eventually. It's not a good way to fix your car. Take the alternator back and see if they'll let you upgrade to an alternator from a reputable rebuilder like Beck/Arnley or Denso. Better yet, find a good electrics shop in your town to help you rebuild your own alternators.

Good luck.

lostforawhile
03-12-2013, 12:37 AM
try and find an old OEM one or a good used one like a Nappa rebuild, take it to an automotive electrical shop and let them rebuild it right

Dr_Snooz
03-12-2013, 09:55 AM
I no longer recommend Napa parts. I've had too many that were beyond broken, right out of the box. The last part I bought from Napa was a starter. It took four starters before I got one that actually worked right.

lostforawhile
03-12-2013, 04:03 PM
I no longer recommend Napa parts. I've had too many that were beyond broken, right out of the box. The last part I bought from Napa was a starter. It took four starters before I got one that actually worked right.
Nappa has two lines,the cheap one and the good one, always get the better one, I know people who repair cars for a living and they often use the more expensive of their line

Dr_Snooz
03-12-2013, 06:49 PM
They told me it was the good line.

lostforawhile
03-12-2013, 09:29 PM
Did you save it? They are easy to rebuild,

Vanilla Sky
03-13-2013, 06:10 AM
Napa has one P. Always has.

Sounds like you have either a stripped alternator shaft, a stripped nut, or both. My bet is both. Do what Snooz said and see if they'll let you apply credit to a better one. I rebuild my own now that I've suffered from several failed new ones on other cars.

Dr_Snooz
03-13-2013, 06:17 AM
Did you save it? They are easy to rebuild,

You asking me? I just kept taking them back until I got a good one. After the first one, I had them bench test them in the store. The casing on the third one they brought down was cracked like it had been dropped from a great height. It was completely hosed.

Vanilla Sky
03-13-2013, 06:22 AM
I once had 4 ignition modules come in bad. After the first bad one, I had them test every one. Ended up replacing the distributor with a Richporter in that car and it's been fine since.

Dr_Snooz
03-13-2013, 05:41 PM
If you know how to test those ICMs, please post up instructions on doing so. I can't seem to figure it out. I finally just easter egged mine. Thank heaven it worked.

lostforawhile
03-13-2013, 07:57 PM
You asking me? I just kept taking them back until I got a good one. After the first one, I had them bench test them in the store. The casing on the third one they brought down was cracked like it had been dropped from a great height. It was completely hosed.

Strange,they have usually had the best electrical here, don't get oreilies crap eithier, I had to buy my original starter for the lincoln on a weekend, three failed starters and several tow bills later, they refunded my money, I bought one from the local automotive electrical place, I had to pay someone to put it in though as im hurt

Dr_Snooz
03-14-2013, 08:56 PM
Yeah, everything I get from them lately is just complete crap. I might as well leave my old parts in because the Napa ones are worse. I don't know what happened to them.