PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy ball joint boots?

jzdude
03-16-2013, 06:00 PM
Tore a ball joint boot because I used a pickle fork :nervous:. Called two dealerships: one wanted 15 bucks other wanted 25 bucks just for the boot :nuts:. Anybody know any aftermarket boots that will work? Otherwise, I'll have to test my luck in a junkyard :(.

Dr_Snooz
03-16-2013, 06:39 PM
First, know that the boots are a special type that includes a retaining ring at the bottom. If you don't want to enrich the stealership, then you'll have to get creative. Auto parts stores often have universal type boots that you can use. However, I haven't found any universal type boots with the retaining ring, so using universals might not seal the joint very well. I remember using one sometime in the distant past, but don't remember how it turned out. I guess if it had turned out badly, I would have remembered, so it's probably a good thing that I forget. Anyway, you can try them, but no warranty express or implied.

Another possibility is this: Poor man's tie rod end (or ball joint) boot (http://www.instructables.com/id/Poor-mans-tie-rod-end-or-ball-joint-boot/), but it looks like a big pain to do and wouldn't leave much room for grease in the joint.

If anyone has found something that works better, I'm all ears. It would be nice to replace the boots every now and again when you have to use a pickle fork.

lostforawhile
03-16-2013, 08:13 PM
You use a tie rod tool to seperate the joint, they are pretty cheap, no damage, the boots the clips are hard to find, companies like moog wont sell them seperate,as the logic is, once the boot tears,dirt gets in,then eventually the ball joint fails, at least this is what they told me