PDA

View Full Version : lxi 5-speed changeout-long post

rocky2
05-12-2002, 09:15 AM
Just drove 1988 lxi last night for the first time,and its much faster then a dx. Trans went in with some diffulculty,getting it in place with axle shaft on drivers side still intact,but with a trans jack and a little persaution it went in finally. There is a differance in flywheels with a carb and efi the balance points are not the same. And theres two bolts that where very hard to line up and may cause vibration if left out. There at the trans and rear-firewall mount bracket, so you may want to check them first if you have vibes. I used a remaned clutch disc from autozone,a used pressure plate from an old engine and the flywheel that was on there originally,although it was a lttle scored from moving it in 3rd gear only before I tore it down. Its supposed to be a racing trans it does seem to have higher ratio's. But the fuel injected engine runs very strong. Steering seems tight,but I plan to suck fliud out and keep adding and sucking when hot till it steers nice. Also front end making some kind of noise must see whats up with that later. Need radio/front right parking light lense/left rear bulbs and box/rf headlamp holder on next trip to boneyard. I also noticed that lxi have 14 1nch tires. Later Rocky2