PDA

View Full Version : Torque converter clutch lock up. In and out?

Ls2 dude
03-19-2013, 06:14 PM
Hi guys I'm back at it again. The car is an 89 accord lxi . Iv been making minor repairs to this car since Iv bought it. I am now stuck on this one. I try to fix things right the first time I don't like throwing parts at it. So maybe you guys can help.

I make a 520 mile round trip every weekend in this little monster and it does pretty good on gas but I feel it could do better i think my biggest limiting factor now is that the tcc is engaging and disengaging while cruising down the highway. It happens when I let off the throttle it will unlock and my rpms Jump. Then I accelerate and it will engage. Its really annoyibg when trying to get the sweet spot and save fuel. i feel it is also causing pre mature wear in the Trans as well. Iv read things about the tv cable and possibly the solenoids. But no one is ever 100% sure. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue and can help me out with where to start, thank you

Dr_Snooz
03-20-2013, 07:26 PM
That's pretty much how the lockup converter is supposed to work. There are no solenoids on this trans, so you're looking at a TV cable adjustment if you want to adjust it. Bear in mind that the TV cable will change your shift points too, so do minor adjustments. Does the converter do the same thing if you use the cruise control? Also, what brand tires do you have?

Ls2 dude
03-25-2013, 04:26 PM
How do I adjust the tv cable, in every vehicle I have ever worked on or owned the torque converter does not unlock when I let off the gas pedal. It only engages when I am accelerating, of course if I create to much of a load It will unlock as it is supposed to. As far as tires ill have to check in the morning. I work at 330 am:/

Dr_Snooz
03-26-2013, 07:36 PM
Basically, shortening/tightening the cable will move the shift points down.

Jafir
04-01-2013, 09:39 AM
How do I adjust the tv cable

The FSM adjustment is for the lever on the side of the tranny to start moving at the exact time the RPM's go up, when pressing on the gas pedal. On an FI car you can just grab a really long screw driver or extension and place it on the lever, so you can feel it move, while you manipulate the throttle valve by hand. On a carb car you'll probably need someone inside to work the pedal.

I seem to recall a TSB or something way back in the day where you could adjust the TV cable by hooking up a pressure gauge and watching a certain pressure go from 0 to something when the RPM's go up. I guess this helps account for wear in the linkages.

What funny is that an accord manual shows no range of adjustment... it was supposed to be precisely when the RPM's go up. On the prelude, with the exact same transmission, there was a range so that you could adjust it to suit the driver's expectation. I do know if you get the cable just a little too tight you can have issues with the TC growling or hunting.

2oodoor
04-01-2013, 02:54 PM
Should always disenguage when you let off throttle a bit.
There is a trans diagnosis flow chart in the main manual , that gives the pressure readings. I just move it a little one turn at a time and drive it pulling over to turn it more. I don't mind burning my arm on the radiator hoses :)

Dr_Snooz
04-01-2013, 05:57 PM
^^^ This. You just keep driving and manipulating until it is working the way you want it to.