PDA

View Full Version : Flex Pipe

1989se-i
10-29-2002, 01:36 PM
Im assuming the flex pipe is the section of exhaust right after the headers, that has steel mesh stuff over it...

Anyway, that mesh stuff totally disnitegrated, and the part where the flex pipe connected to the rest of the exhaust, snapped.

Wayyyyyyy to loud.

My question(s) is(are):

-Do i need a flex pipe (Can i just weld a regular steel pipe in its place)?
-How much is a flex pipe going to cost?
-Damnit

dXsquared
10-29-2002, 01:48 PM
they can be expensive. but you can have a pipe welded in if you have the stock exaust manifold. yah... that will be loud... if u have some cash and ur interested... get a 2.25 inch exaust bent at the exhaust shop and put a racing muffler on...

Travis

1988starter
10-29-2002, 04:08 PM
I have sceen replacement flex sections at pepboys you can weld or clamp on also you could buy a header that wold come with a new flex pipe.

Grant2k
10-29-2002, 04:17 PM
we sold section of it where i worked, but they were expensive for the length of pipe that you get. they could be welded or clamped in. you need that peice because the engine twists in the engine bay and that peice lets your exhaust system stay in place while the engine doesn't. if it snapped check all your exhaust hangers to make sure your whole system isn't moving around, or in a really extreme case it could be your motor mounts.

1989se-i
10-29-2002, 05:10 PM
by snapped i meant it came disconnected from the rest of the tail pipe.

I kinda fixed it. But its still not right.

will the muffler shope be able to weld the flex pipe back onto the rest of the tailpipe?

Grant2k
10-30-2002, 07:02 AM
i would think they could weld that.

88' Accord Ltd
10-31-2002, 12:36 PM
God i know what you mean when you say the exhaust is lound when the flexpipe blows off. Mine blew off on my 88 and it sounded like a damn garbage truck! What i did was i ended up getting another section of flexpipe from the junkyard and i cut the exhaust system a little before and after the section of flexpipe and welded the new piece in there. It took a good while to do but it was well worth it to not have my car sound like a crazy big ass truck anymore.

Whitehonda
11-11-2002, 04:58 PM
Yeah, you definatly need the flexpipe. Like Grant2k stated, the engine moves around a bit when starting the car. That flexpipe allows for movement/play.
If you just welded a strait through pipe, you could further damage your exaust.

Think about it for a minute. If you didn't really need one, don't you think Honda would have just put a rigid strait piece of steel where the flexpipe goes? It would be a hell of a lot cheaper then sticking on a stainless steel braided flexpipe?

My point is that there is always a reason for things being built the way they are. Take a few minutes and think like the engineers at Honda, it can really help with questions like this one.

rocky2
11-12-2002, 05:18 PM
If you go the boneyard route which is the least expensive remember lxi are not the same as lx and dx. I found one at my "u" PULL IT" you could get lucky