PDA

View Full Version : What to do with Carb. Top Hat off?

2Fast4U86
10-29-2002, 01:54 PM
A bit of background info on the situation at hand can be had at... http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7009&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

I'm about to take off the top hat (everything disconnected, just have to unscrew it)... trying to fix an uneven, high-speed vibration that is only experienced at a "maintain speed" throttle setting - if I step on it, the vibration goes away.

The mechanic said - your venturis are lose, vibrating -tighten them up and you're golden. So I've tightened the primary (easy to access one), which was a bit lose and no help. Now I'm trying to get to the secondary by taking off the top hat. However, I just felt it with my finger (through the square choke plate opening), and it does not seem to be lose at all. But I"m already there, so I think I"ll take the top hat off, replace the gasket at least...

So the question is:
Are there any other things that I can do to the carb while I've the top hat off that might make my car run better/get rid of the problem? I've all the gaskets, but not sure how many I can replace. I don't want to get in over my head, most of all. :)

Thanks!

2Fast

2Fast4U86
10-29-2002, 02:05 PM
Another question - with the top hat off, how can I set it down? Can I put weight onto the float and the lil' aluminum thing that points straight down into the bowl? Can I let the float hang in mid air? heeeelp! :)

2Fast

2Fast4U86
10-29-2002, 02:29 PM
Got the top hat off, the second venturi does jiggle a little bit... if I drill the rivets to get to the choke, how the hell will it (the choke) stay on afterwards? Also, the bolts (the 2 I can see) that hold the choke on are very very shitty. my 8mm wrench keeps rounding off... maybe they're a bit smaller. Thanks!

2Fast

2Fast4U86
10-29-2002, 03:26 PM
Got the 2 bolts off... a bit of dremel work to make a socket head fit, and they went ok... stripped one a little bit... but... fuck it.

now, I'm about to drill the rivets that hold the choke cover on... if anyone knows anything about the procedure, please, chime in!!!

Thanks,

2Fast

2Fast4U86
10-29-2002, 04:07 PM
Update, if anyone is reading this...

took the e.c. housing cover off... apparently, from the looks of it - the reason it's riveted in is kuz it's supposed to be precisely oriented... so, hopefully I've got it marked well enough. The screw inside the e.c. cover that holds the whole shebang on is not giving, I stripped it (I tend to do that a lot), so going to go try to get a screw extractor dealie, drill into it, and so on and so forth. This is fun!

Gonna have to drill the 3 rivets out, replace them with screws/nuts.... doubt I can get a drill to the rivet on the bottom, might have to buy a bendable extension? aghh. this is going to be a long project, I feel.

2Fast

mindlos
10-29-2002, 07:45 PM
Man!! You are onto some shit. Sorry I cant help ...

shepherd79
10-30-2002, 04:43 AM
man, take it easy with stripping screws.
if you need help IM me.

2Fast4U86
10-30-2002, 06:10 PM
So the car is back together, after me buying a $40 badass screw extractor kit from sears, kuz the cheap shitty ones weren't cutting it ;) Problem is - the vibration is still there, even with both venturi tightened up. I wonder what the mechanic will say about that.

Thanks for offering to help, Alex.

2Fast

A20A1
10-30-2002, 07:01 PM
... :D

2Fast4U86
10-30-2002, 11:19 PM
:)

while I don't forget - could someone answer the question above

Another question - with the top hat off, how can I set it down? Can I put weight onto the float and the lil' aluminum thing that points straight down into the bowl? Can I let the float hang in mid air? heeeelp!

I'd like to know, since i didn't switch the gasket kuz I didn't want to put the top hat down kuz I was afraid of the sucker. :)

Thanks!

2Fast