PDA

View Full Version : 88 honda accord smoking problems

SladeHonda
03-23-2013, 08:32 PM
So i just fixed my oil leaks and i thought that was the cause of the smoking coming from under the hood but now i found out that power steering problems can cause smoking as well. If my power steering is leaking out would the pump be the first logical thing to change. Since i got the car it has always been hard to keep fluid in the car. Do know if this helps anyone but when the car is running and the fluid gets low the fluid bubbles in the power steering bottle and alot of times im guessing the pressure pops the cap off its always laying behind the bottle. What you guys think i should do ??

2oodoor
03-25-2013, 04:15 PM
Sounds like the fluid is aeriating, maybe wrong fluid or clogged filter in the reservior.

dieselgus
03-25-2013, 04:21 PM
Check the hose that comes up along the upper rad cradle past the dipstick. One little pinhole in there can cause fluid to hit the exhaust manifold occasionally.

g.frost
03-25-2013, 04:41 PM
Yeah, this happens when the fluid is contaminated or the wrong fluid is used (...is it red?) Honda fluid should be straw colored. Purge the power steering fluid and fill with Honda fluid only. Do it ASAP, and hope it hasn't already caused seals to leak.

Dr_Snooz
03-26-2013, 07:33 PM
The P/S high pressure line goes over the exhaust manifold and is known to get old and leak. When it leaks, it drips P/S fluid on the exhaust manifold. P/S fluid is flammable, so if the line is leaking, change it ASAP as it can cause an engine fire.

Jafir
04-01-2013, 09:30 AM
The P/S high pressure line goes over the exhaust manifold and is known to get old and leak. When it leaks, it drips P/S fluid on the exhaust manifold. P/S fluid is flammable, so if the line is leaking, change it ASAP as it can cause an engine fire.

About 12 years ago the shop I worked at told the customer that his pressure hose was leaking, he chose not to fix it and it burned his house down.

Other common leaks under the hood are the pump shaft seals.

Dr_Snooz
04-01-2013, 06:02 PM
About 12 years ago the shop I worked at told the customer that his pressure hose was leaking, he chose not to fix it and it burned his house down.

*Gulp*

MessyHonda
04-10-2013, 07:05 PM
this is true. My 88dx caught fire after pulling into honda to get the hose. my uncle ran out and got the extinguisher. im glad now that i have my b series swap the line goes thru the other side of the car

ecogabriel
04-11-2013, 08:11 PM
Other common leaks under the hood are the pump shaft seals.

I had leaks in both; the hose was slowly seeping. If you have the old style hose - looks like covered in a cloth type of thing - try bending it slightly and you may see fluid in between the cloth joints...