PDA

View Full Version : New 86 Accord LX owner. Nash TN

karma024
03-25-2013, 07:24 AM
Hello all! My name is Harrison and I just recently purchased a one owner 86 Accord LX for $1,700 It has 115,000 miles and has been pretty regularly maintained by a Honda mechanic (the owner). Had my friend who is a Honda mechanic check it out and besides paint, he changed out fluids, spark plugs, wires. (The spark plugs and wires seemed to be original?!) I'm going for a sleeper and only plan on doing a matte finish in the factory gray.

Thought I'd say hello and possibly get some advice on things that might be good to change out even if not showing signs of wear?

Also picked up a 87 spree for a $100 to work on as a project!

Pics to come once we get some sun and it stops snowing in spring.

Looking forward to gaining some knowledge and getting my ride in tip top shape.

derolph
03-26-2013, 02:27 PM
Welcome from Ohio. Oh, and we've got snow in spring here. Most of it melted today.

Your car has amazingly low miles for an 86. Any rust issues?

karma024
03-27-2013, 04:01 AM
It was basically a grocery store vehicle and was driven a couple times a month for the last 10+ years of its life. I believe it was at 113k when I purchased it.

One unfortunate thing is it was backed under a carport and the front was uncovered so the clear coat is basically nonexistent.

There is some rust on the exhaust which i plan on replacing anyway and inside the fuel door. The tank inside is fine but I eventually plan to get it worked out, but its a non issue right now. Other than that some spots here that's it and there, but most are just cosmetic issues.

2oodoor
03-27-2013, 06:10 AM
Welcome and I can't wait for updates on both projects! Grocery Getter, we call those once their tricked out a little :)

Dr_Snooz
03-27-2013, 07:31 PM
Welcome from California! Post pics soon!

karma024
03-28-2013, 06:09 AM
It's warm and sunny today so I will be getting pics of my car once off work.

Grocery Getter is the exact reason I purchased the spree! I also felt it was a good way to get more familiar working on engines with out destroying my car accidentally. Hah.

Looking forward to learning a lot from this community.

Look for some pics of a FBT this afternoon!

karma024
03-28-2013, 12:22 PM
Here she is!

The tape on the rear driverside window is because the motor is broken and people kept rolling it down so the last owner put it there.. now its stuck to the trim so that is probably going to wait to get fixed til paint time.

Inside has no cracks or chipping on dash/panels.

Some minor dings and surface rust, but I planned on getting a new paint job when I purchased it anyway so no big deal there. Trim is faded, but none of it is damaged so Im probably going to paint it anyway.

My goal is to do a flat metal grey body with fire engine red trim. Doing the same for the spree, but dark purple matt for trim on that. Going to be Autobot/Decepticon themed. Oh yeah.

79Civic
03-28-2013, 12:54 PM
Looks like we should start a FBT thread for all the goldies out there!

;)

Dr_Snooz
04-01-2013, 06:19 PM
Car looks good! Usually the rear window poops out because the regulator breaks. A stick holds the windows up real well. LOL