PDA

View Full Version : Follow up to fixed alternator

swbat55
03-26-2013, 05:28 PM
Hi guys, I posted a while back about fixing my alternator bolt. I returned it to Kragen and they handed me a new one ( I know kragen sucks spare me plz Im strapped for time). I installed the said alternator, but when i turned the key my car wouldnt start. It didnt even turn over, which made me think it was the battery. So I tried charging my battery with some jumper cables, but it still didnt turn over. So next I tried push starting my car, this worked, and I let it run for about 10 minutes thinking that would be enough time to charge my battery, but when I tried to start it again it wouldnt turn over. When I try to turn the car on it makes a clic'clic'clic'clic' sounds and the lights begin to dim which makes me think I have a dead battery. Its wierd though because the car lights pop up, the indoor light works, and if i press the brake pedal the entire display turns off. I havent checked the battery yet, and the car was sitting out for about 2 weeks without a start. Also, the battery has some corrosion on the cables which im going to clean and try to start again soon. What do you guys think?? Could I have accidentally unhooked a cable when installing the alternator that would do this? Ill answer any other questions. Thanks!
~Cameron

Legend_master
03-26-2013, 06:22 PM
Depending on the battery 10 minutes may not have been long enough. Try roll starting the car, and do some heavy driving (mid RPM range). If the car still has trouble starting, you most likely have a battery with dead cells. Everything turns on because those items use limited power, but starting a car takes a lot of energy in one blast.

lostforawhile
03-26-2013, 07:12 PM
if the battery is that dead it needs to be tested and charged up with a charger, trying to completely recharge a dead battery with the alternator will get you a fried alternator, it's designed to power the car and top up the battery after it starts the car

rc00netzero
03-27-2013, 09:50 PM
I agree with lost - pull the bat and have it tested. This will tell you the condition and charge level. If it is good - then start checking your connections and make sure they are all clean of corrosion and tight. Don't forget the negative cable and the ground straps. A loose or poor connection at the right place can cause symptoms that mirror a bad battery. With those symtoms pay special attention to both ends of the battery cables.

ecogabriel
03-30-2013, 01:25 PM
Before doing anything else, I would clean up the battery terminals and the contacts attached to the wires as thoroughly as I can. If contact is compromised - you do not need a completely corroded contact for that - the car would do what you describe.
My neighbor's car was doing that and he just changed the battery - same problem. We were about to replace the ignition switch when I decided to go and do a thorough cleanup; they were not as bad, but in any event he has had no problems since (six months counting).
Also, use the terminal grease; it keeps corrosion at bay