PDA

View Full Version : Oil capacity confusion

SilverWolf1898
03-29-2013, 09:18 PM
So I've got an 88 Accord LX with the A20 engine and about 117k miles. I bought it fairly recently and for the first oil change I took it over to oil stop to make sure all the fluids were checked and filled since I have a hard time with the tranny dipstick anyway.

Well they ended up putting in 3.5 quarts and the dipstick looked right on the money. Well a week or two later I was gonna take a big drive and checked it myself and it appeared about a quart low. I took it to them for a top off and they said it was fine. Checked it again several times today while hot and cold and was pretty damn sure it was a quart low. I looked up the capacity and a bunch of sources said 4.5 quarts and a couple said 3.5.

Took it back to oil stop and asked to talk to the manager and he confirmed it was low so he added a quart and that put it right about where it was supposed to be. I never had an issue with the oil level changing before I had it changed so I'm thinking it must take more than 3.5 unless I've developed a leak somewhere (I doubt it, but I guess it's a possibility).

I feel like a dumbass, but could anyone help me out? I normally do my own oil changes and I think I'll definitely do them from here on out after this experience.

ecogabriel
03-30-2013, 04:43 AM
Engine oil capacity is about 3.5 quarts. I will check with the user manual for the EXACT number, but I use a gallon bottle of Rotella T with each oil change (oil filter included) and a little remains in the bottle afterwards.
If you were to fill up with oil after a repair - say replaced crankcase gasket or the cylinder head - you may need some more because some oil remains in both places (in the cyl. head the cam lobes are permanently in contact with a small poodle of engine oil).

Dr_Snooz
03-30-2013, 07:45 PM
It's 3.7 quarts. If they didn't screw the filter on tight enough, you can lose oil from there, so give that a look.

You already know the moral of the story: always do your own work. ;)

Jafir
04-01-2013, 09:08 AM
It's 3.7 quarts. If they didn't screw the filter on tight enough, you can lose oil from there, so give that a look.

You already know the moral of the story: always do your own work. ;)

Exactly. I don't trust any oil change places unless I watch them, so I just do my own oil changes now.

One thing about the oil volume.... it has changed slightly over the years. The original oil filter part number for 3g cars was PH1, and was much longer, it was superseded by P0H and then PT7, which is shorter. The current PLM filters are smaller still, because they are now narrower. Also some cars, mostly the fuel injected cars had an oil cooler too.

Dr_Snooz
04-01-2013, 06:08 PM
Do you know if the aftermarket suppliers are making their filters smaller too? I've heard the OE Denso oil filters we get here in the States are pretty much no good. I only buy Wix filters now.

griffs68
04-02-2013, 05:14 PM
If they used to take a ph1 why cant you run a ph1 on them still? I know for a fact that you can still buy them

griffs68
04-02-2013, 05:17 PM
Do you know if the aftermarket suppliers are making their filters smaller too? I've heard the OE Denso oil filters we get here in the States are pretty much no good. I only buy Wix filters now.

I know that alot of the filters we install at our shop are going to a more universal style such as, chrysler 2.4l used to take a tf4651 now they all take a tf48 smaller in length and diamater.
WIX is a great filter can not beat Puralator top lines the gold and synthetic are the top filters out right now < my own .02

SilverWolf1898
04-02-2013, 10:16 PM
Yeah, I figured they'd give me a crappy purolator filter or something so I just went ahead and brought my own Wix filter in with me. Not sure if they'd be much bigger than the old OEM ones.