PDA

View Full Version : well i think i blew a water pump or headgasket

ghettogeddy
03-31-2013, 02:58 PM
Just ordered a head gasket set, tstat, timing belt kit and water pump kit.. Not sure if I blew the water pump or head gasket but I'll just replace both lol.. can anyone else think of anything i should replace while its apart.

Dr_Snooz
03-31-2013, 07:40 PM
What exactly are your symptoms?

ghettogeddy
03-31-2013, 09:21 PM
had a river of water on the drivers side but i had no visible water form above. im sure its just a water pump
but while im in there im gona do the head gasket timing belt and tensioner waterpump. and any other gasket on that side. and a thermostat.

Jafir
04-01-2013, 09:14 AM
I wouldn't do a head gasket on an engine that just has a leaky water pump, but to each their own I suppose.

Dr_Snooz
04-01-2013, 06:04 PM
I'll bet it's a freeze plug.

Rendon LX-i
04-04-2013, 04:58 PM
Why wouldn't you your going that far. One of those might as well deals. Common sense in my book. An it hasn't been done I'm sure

Freeze plug naaaay its Cali shit even when it was 32 below my old ass coolant froze (no flow) had to put heaters in an out of motor to make it drainable . Freeze plug never popped out.

Dr_Snooz
04-04-2013, 05:18 PM
"Freeze" plug is a misnomer really. They are casting holes. They get old and rusty and fall out, especially if the cooling system hasn't been maintained. It happened to me and the car has never seen another state.

ghettogeddy
04-04-2013, 05:21 PM
ya the geyser of water out of the rad does not point to freeze plug also only had water on the ground the first time.. im pritty sure its the water pump but i will do the headgasket as im at 200k now and it wont hurt to change it and most of the other ones i have to change o remove to get to it...

griffs68
04-04-2013, 05:23 PM
i get all the stuff with the water pump minus the head gasket "if it aint broke dont fix it"

A18A
04-04-2013, 06:21 PM
a20s are cool with their auxiliary-belt driven water pumps. no need to mess around with cam belts and tensioners and timing and stuff lol

Rendon LX-i
04-06-2013, 09:19 AM
if its not broke don't fix it lol = that's lazy in my book. SMH........... snooz i got ya my coolant was horrible looked like motor oil in my hatch. thats why i pointed it out.

Geddy post some pics while your at it.

89trooper
04-06-2013, 04:57 PM
I agree. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. My last 3g's water pump went bad while I was in Arizona for 2 months during the Summer (110+ outside everyday). It over heated EVERY DAY and the head gasket NEVER blew. These cars are definitely NOT like other cars. And if your motor has never been torn down, expect a LONG disassembly. I just rebuilt the motor in my new 3g and it was a bitch to take apart. You will end up replacing more than you're expecting to cause shit breaks. I just spent over $700 on my rebuild but I replaced the pistons (rings glands were broken), had the head rebuilt (saved some money cause my boyfriend ported and polished it for me), bought ALL new gaskets and coolant lines, etc.