PDA

View Full Version : 89 Accord carb, M/T, stalling, bogging on acceleration

KillahKitt
03-31-2013, 03:08 PM
Ok, so my first post is an update because so many had asked my questions for me!

My car was beginning to bog and threaten to stall for awhile, but I couldn't figure out the problem (failed NOX, too). Then my timing belt went. At 65mph. Got that fixed and the bogging/threatening to stall got much worse. Driving or stopped, lots of trouble. Did my due diligence here, and here's the result:

First I changed both fuel filters - no improvement.
Cleaned the carb/replaced gaskets - no improvement.
Changed PCV (existing one lost its little plunger-thingy) - small improvement.
Removed and cleaned EGR valve. While doing this, discovered the #3 plug cable was faulty and the 3-way air check valve was damaged and clogged. (NOTE: 2 parts stores couldn't locate the part. Called the dealership and they said my car is no longer supported by Honda! Got one designed for a GMC instead.) - HUGE improvement! Purrs like new!

Couldn't have done it without you guys!

2oodoor
03-31-2013, 03:11 PM
What are you calling a three way check valve? Congrats and welcome!

KillahKitt
03-31-2013, 03:40 PM
Lol the thingy the parts guy told me was a 3-way air check valve!

Seriously, it's a small white and orange plastic valve that is located below the air filter housing (pass side). Mine was seated in a metal harness. The replacement is larger, so it's hanging loose now. I can post a pic tomorrow if you like.

2oodoor
03-31-2013, 03:55 PM
Good cause Im not clear what it is you may be talking about. Stalling is one of the common complaints in the complaint dept. so you can help. :)

Dr_Snooz
03-31-2013, 07:31 PM
Great work!

KillahKitt
04-05-2013, 10:02 AM

Ok. Here's the pic. (sorry I was slow!) According to the manual, it is "Check Valve A". The orange dealie had broken off. I don't think it had very much to do with my problems, but I'm sure it wasn't helping, either!