PDA

View Full Version : Suspenstion and Chamber kit

TigaMan10
10-30-2002, 10:25 AM
When you lower your car, do you need to get a front chamber kit as well. so your wheels don't cock out to the side. And what is a good level to lower these cars. i don't want it too low. but it looks to high for me right know. whats a good level.
tigaman

socal3rdgen
10-30-2002, 10:26 AM
anything below 2" it is said that you need a camber kit. i think 2" is the best IMO.

Jims 86LXI HB
10-30-2002, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by socal3rdgen
anything below 2" it is said that you need a camber kit. i think 2" is the best IMO.

No, it's anything below1.5"

Mike89Accordcom
10-30-2002, 05:59 PM
I got front camber kit, I lowered mine 2.25". It helped out a lot and my wheels are not crooked anymore.

Neuspeed87lx
10-30-2002, 07:31 PM
chamber kit :D mine is lowered 2.25 and i never got camber kits ..i never had problems with uneven wear on the tires and i drove it for about 8 months lowered...i would get them eventually though

Red88Hatch
10-31-2002, 05:07 PM
so how much are camber kits, and where do you buy them?

si accord
11-01-2002, 12:32 AM
if i get 1.5" lowering springs i'll be str8 without a camber kit???my car is too high

opie

Neuspeed87lx
11-01-2002, 05:28 AM
when i looked for camber kits about a year ago they were expensive for our cars ..they have them here (http://www.sprintspring.com/camberkits.html) and for the front and back (both sides)it would cost you 265 bucks

HostileJava
11-01-2002, 02:11 PM
I don't see it on the list on that link, do you think they stopped carrying them?

anchovies
11-01-2002, 10:34 PM
Or you could get 83-87 prelude arms for the front. About $30-40 from the wreckers.

Jims 86LXI HB
11-02-2002, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Red88Hatch
so how much are camber kits, and where do you buy them?

www.tirerack.com carries the eibach camber kits If I recall it would cost $100 to do the front end (2kit's) and if for somereason you need to do the rear (debateable) it would cost $140 to do the rear.

Jims 86LXI HB
11-02-2002, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by si accord
if i get 1.5" lowering springs i'll be str8 without a camber kit???my car is too high
opie

You will only need camber correction if you drop your car lower than 1.5". 1.5" or 1" drops do not need camber correction.

Red88Hatch
11-02-2002, 02:49 AM
thanks jim!

one question:
If i decided to lower my car (for improved handling) what all do i need?
Struts, Springs, and Camber kit? Is that all?

Jims 86LXI HB
11-02-2002, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by Red88Hatch
thanks jim!

one question:
If i decided to lower my car (for improved handling) what all do i need?
Struts, Springs, and Camber kit? Is that all?

Hmmm, camber would depend on if you went below 1.5". For those that say they are after handling, I drop my talk of "get the drop that you like". I'm not a fan of droping more than 1.5" or 2" at most when it comes to real world handling. I would certainly add rims and tires to your list. 15's or 16's If you can get some nice factory 14" alloys you can get some really nice ultra high performance tires at a reasonable price.

A nice setup would be H&R springs with Koni's. Or if you hardcore I'd go with ground-controls. You can add a Suspension techniques rear sway bar or since I think you have a DX or LX you could grab a LXI rear sway bar for a cheap easy handling mod.

Red88Hatch
11-02-2002, 01:17 PM
so H&R 1.5 springs and Koni struts. What do sway bars do exactly?

MoonScryer
11-02-2002, 03:24 PM
Jim: I have to disagree with you on the not needing camber kits for 1.5" drops. I have Neuspeeds on Tokico's and all the rubber replaced in the suspension (and I do mean ALL of it), and the front is out of whack. The place the did my alignment said the front is off by about 2.5-3 degrees. Now while I doubt it is this much, you can see the lean very badly. If I wasn't running 14" SEi rims with some nice tall sidewalls, I'd be replacing tires on a regular basis.

Oh, and yes, the frame is straight, the balljoints and arms are all replaced ($600!!!!!), so it's nothing there.

Just my $10.00 worth of input. I am getting camber kits.

Jims 86LXI HB
11-02-2002, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by MoonScryer1
Jim: I have to disagree with you on the not needing camber kits for 1.5" drops. I have Neuspeeds on Tokico's and all the rubber replaced in the suspension (and I do mean ALL of it), and the front is out of whack. The place the did my alignment said the front is off by about 2.5-3 degrees. Now while I doubt it is this much, you can see the lean very badly. If I wasn't running 14" SEi rims with some nice tall sidewalls, I'd be replacing tires on a regular basis.

Oh, and yes, the frame is straight, the balljoints and arms are all replaced ($600!!!!!), so it's nothing there.

Just my $10.00 worth of input. I am getting camber kits.

It's not the norm, something had to be amiss with your car. I had the same drop and several other member's do as well. At best I had maybe 1 degree negitive in the front. I don't doubt how things are for you. It's not normal for 1.5" drop to have 2 to 3 degree's out. And that doesn't mean I'm saying your car is really messed up, who know's why it's that way, but it's not normal with 1.5" drops.

dXsquared
11-02-2002, 05:41 PM
i have a rear sway bar and i have a DX... what is that about?

Travis

toastyghost
11-03-2002, 12:05 AM
maybe all the hatches got them since it's a sportier body style? hell if i know..

Jims 86LXI HB
11-03-2002, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by DXHATCHBACK
i have a rear sway bar and i have a DX... what is that about?

Travis

The american market dx's and lx's do not have rear sway bar's, no matter the year or body style.

Your sig say's DX "s" did you make up the "s" or was it really a model? If it is a model I'll bet the rear bar was part of the s package. Or someone before you added on the rear bar.

meanaccord
11-08-2002, 04:51 PM
what exactly do the 83-86 prelude have that my car doesnt? If i got them would i have to get a chamber kit?

Jims 86LXI HB
11-08-2002, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by meanaccord
what exactly do the 83-86 prelude have that my car doesnt? If i got them would i have to get a chamber kit?

Your on the right track. With some washers, the prelude arms will be your camber kit, whereas the stock 3rd gen arms don't let you adjust camber without purchasing a kit.

meanaccord
11-09-2002, 11:03 AM
so all i have to do is get the prelude arms and it comes adjustable? And then add some washers and it works? I not, can you explain the steps to me?

MoonScryer
11-09-2002, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Jims 86LXI HB

It's not the norm, something had to be amiss with your car. I had the same drop and several other member's do as well. At best I had maybe 1 degree negitive in the front. I don't doubt how things are for you. It's not normal for 1.5" drop to have 2 to 3 degree's out. And that doesn't mean I'm saying your car is really messed up, who know's why it's that way, but it's not normal with 1.5" drops.

Yeah, I know it isn't, but I am at a loss to explain it. Everythng has been bought new, and it's all straight, so I jsut don't know.

I drive it anyway :D

anchovies
11-09-2002, 10:32 PM
meanaccord, POSCarb made a how-to on his site

http://quadmobile.virtualave.net/LudeArms.htm

Jims 86LXI HB
11-09-2002, 11:48 PM
Jezz, no one told me about pos having that, I knew about the awesome strut how to, but not that. Thank you anchovies for posting that, thank you very much:super:

anchovies
11-10-2002, 01:16 AM
you're welcome..thanks to Eric not me. There are other how-tos on his site too.

Mike's89AccordLX
11-10-2002, 01:31 AM
Do you guys know if anyone makes adjustable coilovers for our cars? Or if we can use some off other cars?

Jims 86LXI HB
11-10-2002, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by Mike's89AccordLX
Do you guys know if anyone makes adjustable coilovers for our cars? Or if we can use some off other cars?

Are you asking about sleave type coilovers or full bodied coilovers?

Ground-control, dropzone and any sleave type coilover ment for the 90-97 accord (NO OTHER 4th and 5th gen suspension part will work, not the struts and the springs are taller).

**BE VERY CAREFULL IN SELECTING COILOVERS! SOME OF THEM COME WITH SPRINGS THAT ARE EXTREAMLY STIFF AND YOU WILL FIND THAT EVEN IF YOUR RUNNING A STRUT THAT CAN NORMALLY HANDLE STIFFER SPRINGS (koni's), EVEN THEY CAN'T HANDLE THE EXTREAM STIFFNESS.**

Plus you should know that coilovers come with a spring design that dislike's weak strut's more than convention springs. If you run Tokico's, KYB's, Bilstein H.D.'s(non revalved) or stock struts, you experience bounce and control issues. You'll experience things that should never happen with a suspension. At the very least run koni's in the front and if you have to pinch pennies in the rear by running tokico's.

But full bodied presents a serious problem in who make's them. Doestech, which I had a pair of thier rear struts and they only lasted 3k and blew on me, so they suck. And AIM industries, I haven't heard good things about them and DXHATCHBACK bought them and them promptly returned them for a refund after attempting to install them, let's just say he doesn't have a good opinion of them either. If a good company did make full bodied coilover's for our car's, they cost $900 to $1600.

The reason people will spend that kind of money is because the struts they come with are tuned to match the springs they come with, resulting in a better ride. But frankly you can accomplish the same thing on your own by revalving a set of koni's or Bilstein struts to match the springs or sleave coilovers you select. Several members have reported good result's with regular koni's with ground-controls and weapon-R coilovers.

Mike's89AccordLX
11-10-2002, 02:36 AM
Is it very difficult to install the coilovers? I don't know jack about suspension, so that's why i'm asking.

meanaccord
11-10-2002, 09:25 AM
so if i do get the prelude a-arms, how low can i lower my car and my tires not slant? It wasnt mentioned on the web site, anybody know???

Jims 86LXI HB
11-10-2002, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by meanaccord
so if i do get the prelude a-arms, how low can i lower my car and my tires not slant? It wasnt mentioned on the web site, anybody know???

And no one had mentioned it on the board either. I'd imagine it would correct to at least a 2.25" drop. Any lower than that and unless you do something special or get a pair of shortened koni's for the front your gonna have problems with full length struts. They don't make shortened struts for our car. You don't want to bottom out struts very offten, they'll blow in a hurry.

How low do you thing you need to be happy?